• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Zach Borenstein

2-4, 1 HR (27th), 1 RBI, 1 run scored

Hit it against a tough lefty, too. Still has a chance at the HR title. He's tied with Scott Schebler right now, who has 70 more PAs.

By the way, you can see the HR he hit yesterday here:

http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.jsp?content_id=30217427

Bat speed and a compact swing. Knew it was gone as soon as he hit it.

Cron hit 27 HRs last year in 557 PAs and 525 ABs.

Zach did it in 460 PAs and 403 ABs.

Edited by Toby Ziegler

Interesting. Do you think he has a shot at the bigs in 2014?

If he rakes in AA, I think he should get the call next year late summer, but it's not my call. If he does well next year, at the very least I would think a cup of coffee would be in order in September.

It's not at all unusual for prospects to skip AAA, especially when we're talking about the PCL. If he excels in the Texas League, I don't see how going to the PCL would do anything for his development. The only thing it would do is delay his service time, but typically organizations are only concerned about that with "top prospects." Again, though, not my call.

I think Angels fans would enjoy watching him play on a daily basis. He's an exciting player with a lot of power who uses the whole field and he hustles. He brings a hard hat and a lunch pail to every game. An intense competitor. He's an above average outfielder as well.

Edited by Toby Ziegler

nice end to a great season. 5 game multi hit streak with 3 hrs in his last three.

I really hope he gets an invite to spring which I think he will. Regardless, I think he ends up in AA to start the season. He's on the map now at the very least and a strong showing next year will put him in a position to make other OFers in the system expendable. We might not see him in the bigs next year, but I am very excited for him.

Wish him the best.

I'm just checking in here after seeing Zach B. crush the ball in his final five games.  What a way to finish the season!   When I see Zach, it reminds me a lot of former Twin Jason Kubel, who I followed closely in the minors (I'm a Twins fan.)

Kubel has ended up having a good career, but he had a major knee injury in the AFL in 2004 and I think that he would have been even better if not for that injury.  He missed a full year, and  I think he really only came back 90% from that injury.   Kubel was a bit better at hitting for average, and Borenstein a bit more power, but they are pretty similar.

Looking forward to seeing Zach prove his mettle vs. some top pitching prospects in the AFL this fall...

Edited by TroutFan

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/9/4/4694288/minor-league-ball-gameday-september-4

From Sickels:

"

***One player on my research list is Los Angeles Angels outfield prospect Zach Borenstein, who had a really good 2013 season for High-A Lake Elsinore, hitting .337/.403/.631 and leading the California League with 28 homers. He finished the season with three homers in his last three games, including this shot on Monday.

He was a 23rd round pick in 2011 out of Eastern Illinois University. It is generally wise to be suspicious about California League breakouts and surge performances, but I'm going to find out more about him. The Angels need all the prospects they can get."

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/9/4/4694288/minor-league-ball-gameday-september-4

From Sickels:

"

***One player on my research list is Los Angeles Angels outfield prospect Zach Borenstein, who had a really good 2013 season for High-A Lake Elsinore, hitting .337/.403/.631 and leading the California League with 28 homers. He finished the season with three homers in his last three games, including this shot on Monday.

He was a 23rd round pick in 2011 out of Eastern Illinois University. It is generally wise to be suspicious about California League breakouts and surge performances, but I'm going to find out more about him. The Angels need all the prospects they can get."

When he conducts his research, the first thing he should look into is what team Zach plays for.

Anyone think he cracks BA/ESPN/MLBs top 100 next year?

No, because he's not the prototype prospect they fawn over..  They will still view him as too small, too old, too maxed out, too slow.  There is a projection bias in place with guys like ZB who are a bit older than their leagues.  He's not 21, 6'3, 225, with room to grow so..  he's not a uber-spect in the eyes of BA and the sort.

This is not a criticism of ZB.  Just my opinion of the mindset held by BA and the sort.  

No, because he's not the prototype prospect they fawn over..  They will still view him as too small, too old, too maxed out, too slow.  There is a projection bias in place with guys like ZB who are a bit older than their leagues.  He's not 21, 6'3, 225, with room to grow so..  he's not a uber-spect in the eyes of BA and the sort.

This is not a criticism of ZB.  Just my opinion of the mindset held by BA and the sort.  

I think that's spot on.

I was reading ignorant comments in the Sickels article. Some people still don't think he has any above average tools. It's mind-boggling to me.

Heck, I'm beginning to get towards liking him long term over even Trumbo.

Trumbo turns 28 in January, while ZB just turned 23. 

Trumbo went from being patient the first 2 months (70 BBs pace) of the 2013 season, to being a hacker since then (35 BBs pace). 

I know ZB still has to tackle Arkansas' tough park in 2014.

But while the HRs may come down some, the BA and OBP figure to not fall too much.

Don't forget that he hit nearly 30 HRs despite missing time during the season, and has a shorter swing that's more tailor made long term. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

I know ZB still has to tackle Arkansas' tough park in 2014.

But while the HRs may come down some, the BA and OBP figure to not fall too much.

Don't forget that he hit nearly 30 HRs despite missing time during the season, and has a shorter swing that's more tailor made long term. 

AA is the test, if he's killing it in late June in that park then they need to be aggressive and send him to AAA.  Trumbo has been given enough time to show he's more than just a one trick pony.   The system has a glut of OFers all of which offer more speed and defensive value than Trumbo does.   They don't have his power but if they can get on base it may all even out.