• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Best Military/War Movie

There's a little civil war movie called Shenandoah, starring jimmy Stewart. Powerful story.

There's also the original Robin Hood starring Errol Flynn. The scenes for Sherwood Forrest were filmed at Descanso Gardens.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fires on the Plain

Nice.  I've tried and failed to get more people to watch this.  It is certainly something that sticks with you for a while. 

We always get the Amercan side of WWII, but the Japanese and Russians have also made some great WWII movies.  I recommend Ballad of a Soldier if you want to see a Russian WWII film. 

Does The Messenger count?  Another great movie.  Glory as well.

Also, JimB.  I am not surprised considering you think The Dark Knight is one of the best movies ever.

People didn't like TRL as much for the same reason that Sportsnight is no longer on the air.  People just go to movies to be entertained, not to think.  That is fine.

Apocalypse Now

Saving Private Ryan

Mini Series was "The Pacific" on HBO. Spielberg and Tom Hanks homage to the Marines who didn't get a lot of fanfare and credit when they got home, since the war fever had wound down, and people were getting back to their lives by the time they came home. Anyone who has driven to San Diego has seen Basilone Road. How many know ((I didn't) who John Basilone was?

Well done series and highly recommended.

Apocalypse Now

Saving Private Ryan

Mini Series was "The Pacific" on HBO. Spielberg and Tom Hanks homage to the Marines who didn't get a lot of fanfare and credit when they got home, since the war fever had wound down, and people were getting back to their lives by the time they came home. Anyone who has driven to San Diego has seen Basilone Road. How many know ((I didn't) who John Basilone was?

I grew up in San Diego and I never knew this.  I just wiki'd him.  A true hero.

Apocalypse Now

Saving Private Ryan

"The Pacific" was an excellent mini-series and highlighted the savagery of that war.

I grew up in San Diego and I never knew this.  I just wiki'd him.  A true hero.

Basilone is still a hero here in his homestate of NJ. His town still has a Basilone day parade. There is a bridge, a college dorm, parks, etc... A true hero.

My wife is went to school with Jon Seda, who portrayed him in the series.

The Killing Fields, Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, The Deer Hunter, Apocalypse Now, Hurt Locker and Saving Private Ryan.

Thin Red Line was ok in my opinion.  We Were Soldiers wasn't that good but I read the book before seeing it.

great call on The Killing Fields

i don't know how i forgot to mention braveheart. it's an absolute remote dropper for me. same with band of brothers. i hope someone puts "the pacific" onto a cable station soon - i'd like to see it.

would dances with wolves fit into this discussion? it was another brilliant movie, though not a traditional war movie.

for a comedic slant, i'll throw steven spielberg's 1941 into the discussion. hilarious sendup of preparing for a possible japanese invasion of the california coast after pearl harbor.

Many already mentioned would be favorites of mine:  Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List, Full Metal Jacket.  I also like many of the period-war movies like Braveheart, or those that are not specifically war-based but have that theme wrapped in them.....like Gladiator and The Last Of The Mohicans.  Also, films that don't seem like war movies, but are, like The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Does The Messenger count?  Another great movie.  Glory as well.

Also, JimB.  I am not surprised considering you think The Dark Knight is one of the best movies ever.

People didn't like TRL as much for the same reason that Sportsnight is no longer on the air.  People just go to movies to be entertained, not to think.  That is fine.

LOL!!!

The Dark Knight >>> Thin Red Line

I used to really like The Thin Red Line. Unfortunately, I can't, in good conscience, admit to liking any movie directed by Terence Malick after he did that horrible piece of sh*t Tree of Life.

I have Tree of Life DVR'd, but haven't watched it yet.  Unlike many, I did like the New World movie Malick did.