• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Best Military/War Movie

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the topic is asking for a singular movie, not just a list of every movie about the military or war, I will stick with the original premise and name what I believe to be the single best movie about War to date.

Schindler's List

Tin strikes me as more of a Zune kind of guy.

A few years ago my daughter got me a Zune for Christmas with some accessories.  There are certain things I like about it but it lost out to the ipod, so I got an alarm clock/Zune docking station and use it for my alarm.  Now whenever she visits I can tell her I'm still using it.  It's the electronic equivalent of a horrible tie.

Lots of good movies mentioned.  I'd like to add "Mister Roberts" to the list.  It's sort of a comedy but has a bit of drama.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048380/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Flags of our Fathers was an incredibly powerful book, and the movie was pretty damn good too. I didn't care much for Letters From Iwo Jima because I'm a heartless bastard who doesn't feel bad for what the Japanese went through back then. 

Saving Private Ryan is definitely the best one though. Also, We Were Soldiers was damn good too.

Some of them:

Platoon

Saving Private Ryan

Full Metal Jacket

Casualties of War

The Hurt Locker

I can't believe some people like the Thin Red Line.  I thought it was horrible.

Far superior in every way to Saving Private Ryan.  People just don't like it because it makes you think, it isn't some action packed movie.  If it starred Tom Hanks instead of douchebag Sean Penn it would have easily won that year.

Far superior in every way to Saving Private Ryan.  People just don't like it because it makes you think, it isn't some action packed movie.  If it starred Tom Hanks instead of douchebag Sean Penn it would have easily won that year.

this is the movie equivalent of soccer's "you don't understand the intricacies of the game"

1. Saving Private Ryan.  Just conveys the insanity of combat.

2. The Hurt Locker.  Bomb Techs are crazy; try to outrun them.

3.  Blackhawk Down.  A great book too. Shows how the best-laid plans don't translate on the ground.

4.  Apocalypse Now.  Shows the fog of the Vietnam war, and how nobody knew what the point of it was.

5.  Full Metal Jacket.  Gunny!

6.  Platoon.  Made me think of my fathers experiences in Korea, and how much those young guys sacrificed.

7.  Das Boot.  Claustrophobic life/death aboard a U-Boat.

8.  Act of Valor.  These guys are for real!

9.  A Bridge Too Far/The Longest Day

10.  When Trumpets Fade.  An '88 HBO movie that I think is pretty good. 

It is not even close to being as good as Saving Private Ryan.  And the reason people don't like it is because it sucked ass.

Someone mentioned Stripes. I hadn't really thought about comedies in the genre, but Stripes was excellent. Since we're talking comedies, no discussion of war-related comedies would be complete without perhaps the funniest war movie of all time, the movie that spawned an even greater television series, M*A*S*H.