• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The future of Trout

I still think you have to show him that the team is committed to winning over the next five years.  Trading off the spare parts from prospects does not do that.  That said, the org is bigger than one player and signing Cano or any other 100m free agent just adds to the disaster. 

Money goes a long way. Trout has a 20 year career ahead of him and probably another 10 of being a premier player in the league. That's a long way off and I'm sure he figures he'll win in that time. He's not a guy at the end of his career chasing a ring and looking for the best opportunity to do that.

Everyone keeps mentioning the Yankees and Phillies as destinations for him. Are they in much different shape than the Angels? Huge contracts on old declining players and not much of a farm system. I think the Angels are actually in better shape. Those teams are going to be messes for a long time because they have held onto a lot of their assets a year or two too long. The Angels have a lot of tradeable pieces like Kendrick, Bourjos, Aybar, Downs, Vargas, Ianetta, Trumbo. This team could restock the farm system in one off season/trade deadline and be ready to compete again in 3 years before Trout hits FA.

Everyone keeps mentioning the Yankees and Phillies as destinations for him. Are they in much different shape than the Angels?

IMO, Baltimore might be the destination to be most worried about.  They are a young team, and they pack it in when Trout plays there with friends and family.

A lot can change in 4 years. Unfortunately, we will still have four more years of the Albert Pujols's contract weighing the in down.

Considering how incredibly mismanaged this club has been for quite some time I don't have much faith the decision-making process is suddenly going to be productive.

The guy isn't even finished with his second complete season and a ton of you are already bracing for his departure. Worst f all is assuming that how things are today is how they'll remain for the next four years.

Some of you are making eeyore look like Pollyanna.

For those of you that seem to be sure that Trout is heading east, why not do the following? Continue to only give Trout minimal raises as he continues to put up incredible numbers. This keeps his salary very enticing to other teams. When Trout is 2 years from FA, trade him and get the biggest haul of prospects ever seen in a MLB deal. Just saying.

I don't think we are all panicking. My only interest is starting this thread is to see where the collective mindset is

At a certain point, a GM has to think long term, if he or she is worth their salt.

You don't think the lakers play what if strategies regarding kobe and three to five yeas out?

It is just exercise in future thought that's all

And I still am of the opinion money ain't a thing. Teams will be backing up multiple brinks trucks when the time comes.

Here is a scary thought.  But Moreno might realize that he has to put a winner on the field or become the Mariners and lose out on Arod.  No matter how many prospects you get in a trade, there is no guarantee that any of them will be anything but major league average.  

So saying all that, this offseason, trade Kendrick and sign Cano.  Think about it.  Can this team get any better without throwing more money at it?  That's really our only option right now.  We have nothing to trade to get anything significant, and nothing much in the minors (at a position of need).  

And BTW, I hate the idea of signing Cano.  

Whatever money you throw at to get better next year should go to Trout first!  Lock him up long term so your not pressured to make moves or fear losing him.  Like I said, 170 million over ten years should do it!

It will be interesting to see, if the Angels try to lock up Trout and he declines the offer.

then you pay him the minimum next year (who cares if he is pissed off or not, your not resigning him) then you begin negotiating the long haul in prospects to get for him!

Trout is headed to New York.

He wants to play in the playoffs and world series.

Let's just ignore the economic facts people. Yes, Trout will be going to the Yankees or whoever back east because hey, this is fantasy land!  In all of your minds four years is right around the corner.  Nobody get hurt in four years.  The Angels will continue to suck in four years and Trout is sitting picture perfect with no risks on his millions when he can leave the Angels in four plus years.

Let's get back to reality.  A lot can happen in four years.  In high probability trout will be receiving more money than he knows what to do with.  However, that is on the basis that he stays healthy, which is not a guarantee.  There is always a possibility he could get hurt.  Therefore, there is great incentive to guarantee your life long wealth now, instead of waiting for your life long wealth in four years.

So once again, Trout is going nowhere if the Angels do not F*** it up.  Why?  All they have to do is offer a contract he can't refuse.  I say 10 years 170 million is enough to do the job.  However, it has to be next year.  Every year the Angels wait to extend Trout you will have to add at least another 22 million to the package to make it one he can't refuse.  

This fall is the year to do it.  My only concern is that the Angels desire to get under the cap might convince them not to extend Trout.  However, as I have been saying the longer it takes the Angels to offer the extension to Trout, the less incentive he has to re sign.

Let's just ignore the economic facts people. Yes, Trout will be going to the Yankees or whoever back east because hey, this is fantasy land!  In all of your minds four years is right around the corner.  Nobody get hurt in four years.  The Angels will continue to suck in four years and Trout is sitting picture perfect with no risks on his millions when he can leave the Angels in four plus years.

Let's get back to reality.  A lot can happen in four years.  In high probability trout will be receiving more money than he knows what to do with.  However, that is on the basis that he stays healthy, which is not a guarantee.  There is always a possibility he could get hurt.  Therefore, there is great incentive to guarantee your life long wealth now, instead of waiting for your life long wealth in four years.

So once again, Trout is going nowhere if the Angels do not F*** it up.  Why?  All they have to do is offer a contract he can't refuse.  I say 10 years 170 million is enough to do the job.  However, it has to be next year.  Every year the Angels wait to extend Trout you will have to add at least another 22 million to the package to make it one he can't refuse.  

This fall is the year to do it.  My only concern is that the Angels desire to get under the cap might convince them not to extend Trout.  However, as I have been saying the longer it takes the Angels to offer the extension to Trout, the less incentive he has to re sign.

He's played 1.5 years of MLB. One could argue that he hasn't earned life long wealth yet.

I don't think we are all panicking. My only interest is starting this thread is to see where the collective mindset is

At a certain point, a GM has to think long term, if he or she is worth their salt.

You don't think the lakers play what if strategies regarding kobe and three to five yeas out?

It is just exercise in future thought that's all

And I still am of the opinion money ain't a thing. Teams will be backing up multiple brinks trucks when the time comes.

He or she...lol you sound like a politically correct feminist.