• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The future of Trout

I agree. Also, he's close to his family and he's had the same hometown girlfriend for many years. I'm sure playing close to home would be more attractive for him than most players because of that. Of course if he signs a 8-10 year extension with the Angels, there's probably a decent chance that some of his family members will move to So. Cal.

There are many situations over the next 3 or 4 years that could very easily sway Trout's decision to stay or go. So many in fact, it would be impossible to narrow it down to one thing (money, GF, family, etc.). No doubt the sooner the Angels would be able to sign him to an extension the better, but in no way do I believe the Angels chances diminish all that much if they aren't able to get it done this off-season. If I had to guess, I'd say Trout chills for a year or two before he makes any real commitment. He's 21 years old. 21 year old men believe they are going to live forever and are not easily made to fear life. He's having a ball. ;)    

This would be the scenario I'd be most concerned about.  Assuming no injury show stoppers, Trout will be filthy rich no matter how this plays out.  Choices seem to be:

(1) Stay with the Angels, a bad team for his entire (albeit short) big league career with many years ahead of being burdened with mega-contracts for old guys, a manager in his comfort zone, winning or losing, with yet another mega-contract, very few contemporaries around to share his energy and drive to win...and, in case we forgot, the 20K snub for his arguably best in baseball 2012.

(2) Go to Baltimore, play with a younger, more energetic team that is winning, for an aggressive manager with a rep of building teams into contenders, all the time while surrounded by family and friends.  The Angels might be able to pre-empt the eastern/Baltimore option, as several have suggested, by a mega offer.  However, if $$$ are a factor, Trout hits FA at 26 in his prime, possibly looking at a $300M + contract for the highest bidder (Wanks).   

A couple of assumptions:

You assume that the Angels will be bad during the entire career of trout.  Since just four short years ago the Angels were awfully good, that is a pretty pessimistic and probably poor assumption.

Second, you assume the Orioles will be good four years from now (when Trout will enter his free agency year if there is no extension) and that is a bold assumption:  especially when Baltimore was pretty bad four years ago.  Remember all the good young players the O's have?  They will hit free agency sometime too!

I swear a good half of the people on this board can't be Angel fans.  Anyone who assumes the Angels will be bad during the entire career of someone who will probably play baseball for another 15 years can't be an Angel fan!

Assuming the Angels make an extension offer to "lock him up"... if he doesn't accept, he'll be leaving a lot of money on the table.

And taking a big risk!  That is why i believe he will be locked up if the offer is anywhere around 170 million.

This would be the scenario I'd be most concerned about.  Assuming no injury show stoppers, Trout will be filthy rich no matter how this plays out.  Choices seem to be:

(1) Stay with the Angels, a bad team for his entire (albeit short) big league career with many years ahead of being burdened with mega-contracts for old guys, a manager in his comfort zone, winning or losing, with yet another mega-contract, very few contemporaries around to share his energy and drive to win...and, in case we forgot, the 20K snub for his arguably best in baseball 2012.

(2) Go to Baltimore, play with a younger, more energetic team that is winning, for an aggressive manager with a rep of building teams into contenders, all the time while surrounded by family and friends.  The Angels might be able to pre-empt the eastern/Baltimore option, as several have suggested, by a mega offer.  However, if $$$ are a factor, Trout hits FA at 26 in his prime, possibly looking at a $300M + contract for the highest bidder (Wanks).   

A lot can happen in four years.

No guarantee Showalter will be there in four years. The Orioles' key players will be four years older, and they're gonna get paid, too. How much are they gonna have to pony up for Machado? Or Bundy? They're gonna be paying Adam Jones $16.33m in 2017 & 17.33m in 2018. To say now that Trout is likely going to go to Baltimore in four years is just conjecture. We simply don't know what's going to happen in the next four days, let alone four years.

How many years are you talking? 10?

Yes, I have been advocating ten years 170 million.

I know that is averaging 17 million a year and that is below what Trout would if he was a free agent next year.  However, since Trout is only guaranteed 500 K next year, and I am guessing first year arb. would be around 8 million, second arb. year around 13 million and final arb year around 18 million, Trout would really be extending 6 years for another 131+ million.