• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The future of Trout

Here is the deal. I will say it for the third time.

In economics class we would play out scenarios for three to five years. Just to excercise long term thought process. I thought it would be interesting to take the pulse of the Angels collective.

And what I am seeing is very interesting. Oh and a liberal feminist, come hang with me on twitter. I'd change your mind.

I don't think some people have looked at the Yankees team and their prospects.  Why would anyone want to play for that team?  They may not even sign Cano.

So who do you like on that team?  The Steinbrenners have stated they are not in the game to lose money and with their luxury tax penalties they are throwing away hundreds of millions.

The Yankees will be matching the Dodgers payroll as soon as they start from scratch with accumulating luxury tax classes. Starting with the 2015 season expect the old Yankees payroll to be back. That is why they are structuring everything for a lower 2014 number. Reset their fee structure.

I don't think some people have looked at the Yankees team and their prospects.  Why would anyone want to play for that team?  They may not even sign Cano.

So who do you like on that team?  The Steinbrenners have stated they are not in the game to lose money and with their luxury tax penalties they are throwing away hundreds of millions.

History, pinstripes, 27 championships, new Yankees Stadium, Ruth, Gehrig, Dimaggio, Munson, Rivera, Berra, Ford, Mantle, Jeter. Closer to his hometown. It's not a bad place to be. If he's going to be on a losing team he may as well lose big!

History, pinstripes, 27 championships, new Yankees Stadium, Ruth, Gehrig, Dimaggio, Munson, Rivera, Berra, Ford, Mantle, Jeter. Closer to his hometown. It's not a bad place to be. If he's going to be on a losing team he may as well lose big!

I can say the same thing (well, kinda) about the Lakers, but without Jerry Buss that is not a pretty picture.  Without George Steinbrenner, the Yankees are headed in a different direction.  Maybe the Steinbrenner kids will sell the team and the next owner will have a different plan.  Right now the Yankees are doing everything they can to void A-Rod's contract.  I believe there is a new order coming in MLB.  I don't think we'll see 30+ year olds getting 10 year contracts anymore.  MLB is now the 4th most popular sport (behind the NFL, NBA and College football.  Change is coming.

I can say the same thing (well, kinda) about the Lakers, but without Jerry Buss that is not a pretty picture.  Without George Steinbrenner, the Yankees are headed in a different direction.  Maybe the Steinbrenner kids will sell the team and the next owner will have a different plan.  Right now the Yankees are doing everything they can to void A-Rod's contract.  I believe there is a new order coming in MLB.  I don't think we'll see 30+ year olds getting 10 year contracts anymore.  MLB is now the 4th most popular sport (behind the NFL, NBA and College football.  Change is coming.

Interesting to note that #27 is not a Yankees retired number.

Dodgers would be the worst, by far.  I generally don't hate on players for making any such decision because their choices are rare and limited... but I may turn into an angry fan that burns jerseys and berates players on message boards... if he ever went to the Dodgers.

That said... relax.  This organization isn't in shambles. They can easily bounce back next year, even if it is too late this year.  There's plenty of reason for him to sign a long term extension.    

He's played 1.5 years of MLB. One could argue that he hasn't earned life long wealth yet.

I agree, but my point is if he is offered a 170 million for ten years this fall I am willing to bet he takes it!  That means he has his life long wealth right now instead of waiting to "earn it as you may say".  It is gamble by the Angels to offer him long term, but I think the odds would be in the team's favor as they would be signing a player in his prime not post prime

I remember when people were sure the Chuck Finley would be a Yankee.   He had no roots in SoCal, was a Southern guy, who was close to family that went to all his games in Texas,   The Angels were mostly bad, sometimes criminally bad.   Sometimes, a guy grows to love the fans, the weather, the connections he makes. 

I think the Angels need to show Trout they value those connections the next 5 years, Id argue letting guys like Torii move on could make a bigger impact than the wins and losses.

One problem here. Jered Weaver stayed here and gave the Angels a hometown discount. This is not Mike Trouts hometown.

that is why we shouldn't expect a discount.  That is why I have been advocating giving him a contract he can't refuse.  He is an angel for four more years minimum.  No other team can talk to him durin that time.  That is why we have the advantage.  We just have to pony up and pay the man his money!

One problem here. Jered Weaver stayed here and gave the Angels a hometown discount. This is not Mike Trouts hometown.

I agree. Also, he's close to his family and he's had the same hometown girlfriend for many years. I'm sure playing close to home would be more attractive for him than most players because of that. Of course if he signs a 8-10 year extension with the Angels, there's probably a decent chance that some of his family members will move to So. Cal.

IMO, Baltimore might be the destination to be most worried about.  They are a young team, and they pack it in when Trout plays there with friends and family.

This would be the scenario I'd be most concerned about.  Assuming no injury show stoppers, Trout will be filthy rich no matter how this plays out.  Choices seem to be:

(1) Stay with the Angels, a bad team for his entire (albeit short) big league career with many years ahead of being burdened with mega-contracts for old guys, a manager in his comfort zone, winning or losing, with yet another mega-contract, very few contemporaries around to share his energy and drive to win...and, in case we forgot, the 20K snub for his arguably best in baseball 2012.

(2) Go to Baltimore, play with a younger, more energetic team that is winning, for an aggressive manager with a rep of building teams into contenders, all the time while surrounded by family and friends.  The Angels might be able to pre-empt the eastern/Baltimore option, as several have suggested, by a mega offer.  However, if $$$ are a factor, Trout hits FA at 26 in his prime, possibly looking at a $300M + contract for the highest bidder (Wanks).