• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The future of Trout

So I get in my car after work excited the Halos game is still on and then I hear the score. They are a really bad team and I got to thinking.

Is there any incentive for Trout to sign long term with the team? Does he want to break his back from carrying dead weight? The team is boring unless Weaver is pitching and is there really any help coming.

What do you think?

Jsn seems to have it right.  If Trout doesnt sign an extension that covers his arb egible years and then some, I'd bet he's likely gone when he can test free agency.

Winning will have a lot to do with it and I have to wonder if he looks around at the pitching staff, Pujols and Hamilton and wonder can this team really compete in the next 4-5 years.

I think one way or another things will work out.

If Trout wants to stay, he'll get paid and have security and we'll have the best player in baseball locked up.

If he makes it clear that he's going to test free agency or is leaning towards the east coast, imagine the package we could get for trading Trout in the last year or two of his contract if he keeps playing like this... his stock level would be astronomically high.  Could probably get a haul of top-end prospects that could replenish our team just as Hamilton, Wilson and Weaver's contracts are coming off the books. 

Obviously we'd all prefer him to stick around and be an all-time franchise player type, but the longer things go without any extension talks the more pessimistic things will look.

Ha ha, I know Hamiltown.

If Trout leaves because he wants to play near his home and the Angels get a ridiculous package of prospects for him, I'll hate it but eventually recover. But if he leaves because the team continues to suck and via free agency, thus missing out on prospects, I don't think i could live with it and would consider trying to wash myself clean of this organization.

That said, let's hope that doesn't happen.

Ha ha, I know Hamiltown.

If Trout leaves because he wants to play near his home and the Angels get a ridiculous package of prospects for him, I'll hate it but eventually recover. But if he leaves because the team continues to suck and via free agency, thus missing out on prospects, I don't think i could live with it and would consider trying to wash myself clean of this organization.

That said, let's hope that doesn't happen.

I completely agree. Its sucks to think that because of the current circumstances(too much money committed) with Pujols (the franchise) and Hamilton playing way below what was expected might trigger Trout to want to move on to a younger and more progressive club. He's a winner playing with a lot of underachievers. I'm sure he knows that there's life outside the Angels organization and his motivation might not be all about money. He may want to play in a more hitter friendly ballpark that wasn't built in the 60's. He may want to play closer to his hometown. He could eventually ask for a sign and trade deal or stay in Anaheim and watch Pujols and Hamilton decline while he busts is ass every game. I would hate to see him leave but he might be the only player on the roster that could bring back enough in return to change this franchise into a competitive team. Many fans will say "you don't trade a Mike Trout" but years ago the Dallas Cowboys traded Herschel Walker for a boatload of players and picks. They went on to win some Super Bowls.

I find it interesting so many of you bring up money.

Trout is going to get paid. Period. So financially that point is probably not that high. There systemic issues that factor in more. Say pitchers 3-5, old man Pujols, a depleted farm, etc.

Well one this is for sure, old man Pujols is not going anywhere and he was signed by our Angels to build a team around him. Mike Trout is an MLB superstar not a role player.

So I get in my car after work excited the Halos game is still on and then I hear the score. They are a really bad team and I got to thinking.

Is there any incentive for Trout to sign long term with the team? Does he want to break his back from carrying dead weight? The team is boring unless Weaver is pitching and is there really any help coming.

What do you think?

You go to work.  You realize you are under contract for four more years.  Year one your employer can pay you the minimum wage.  Year two, three, and four you would get substantial raises, but no where near what you could on the open market.

Your employer meets you at work.  He offers you a ten year 170 million dollar contract.  That is six additional years after you obligation with the business is up.  

You either:

A.   take the 170 million and be set for life, your kids will be set for life, and if they are not stupid with your money your grand kids will be set for life.

Or

B.  Turn it down.  Walk away from a 170 million dollars and work year one 500,000.  Hopefully you don't get hurt.  Year two make about 8 million dollars and hope you don't get hurt.  Year three make about 13 million dollars and still hope you don't get hurt.  And finally play year four for about 18 million dollars and again....HOPE YOU DON"T GET HURT!

I don't think the decision is even close!  You take the 170 million because if you get hurt you will end up working for a living.

Its all up to the Angels.  The sooner they offer the extension the more likelihood he resigns.  However, if the Angels wait to year two or three (where Trout will be making tens of millions and only a year or two of injury risk) Trout would have less incentive to resign.

I find it interesting so many of you bring up money.

Trout is going to get paid. Period. So financially that point is probably not that high. There systemic issues that factor in more. Say pitchers 3-5, old man Pujols, a depleted farm, etc.

Injuries could prevent him from being paid.  That is why you give him the incentive now to resign.  Not later.

Here is a scary thought.  But Moreno might realize that he has to put a winner on the field or become the Mariners and lose out on Arod.  No matter how many prospects you get in a trade, there is no guarantee that any of them will be anything but major league average.  

So saying all that, this offseason, trade Kendrick and sign Cano.  Think about it.  Can this team get any better without throwing more money at it?  That's really our only option right now.  We have nothing to trade to get anything significant, and nothing much in the minors (at a position of need).  

And BTW, I hate the idea of signing Cano.