• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Zimmerman/Martin Unrests

MT, 

It is not comparable at all. I wont even get into the facts because I think you are quite aware of them. African Americans can keep playing the victim if they want but it will not solve anything. Everyone is focused on this one case but the reality is there is a much deeper issue within the black community that must be confronted if actual change will occur. The question is are people willing to incite change through activism or did they just want to see someone "hang" for the death of a child? Here is a great quote I read from Murs of  the bay area hip hop group Living Legends. 

"I'd like to say what most are not. I am angry with the black community and the hip hop community. How can we expect the world to respect a "black life" when we all sing a long to songs that say how little that life is worth? Kill a nigga this, **** a bitch that etc... Our music and the way we represent our selves in the media. It honestly scares and disgusts a lot of people in America. Middle and rural America especially. It's NOT the media's fault. We really do kill each other over little to nothing. I've lost friends because of it. I've been on a major label and no one is MAKING these artists celebrate homicide and drug dealing. WE are at fault for celebrating and supporting this. Black people when we as a whole truly start to value black life, that's when we can expect the same from the rest of the world. Direct some of your anger towards the person in the mirror. And don't just take responsibility for your own family. That is a start, but what can you do to positively affect the rest of your community? Let's not use too much time demonstrating and protesting. Let's change these LAWS! And let's change this culture of greed and hate as well. Once we are civilized enough to police ourselves we will not need to rely on such laws. Peace has to be a verb. We have to act now. Please let's get passed angry and get to work."

I've actually had black people throw rocks at my at car on Waterman during a time period when CNN wasn't trying to incite them.

How do they know this is Zimmerman related and not just typical "black people throwing rocks in San Bernardino" stuff.

I think answer is pretty obvious. You are not there.

I am white. I have friends that I hang with that are black. I see first hand how they are treated based solely on their appearance. Women clutch their purses a little more when they're around. People change the direction they are walking to avoid getting close. The sideways "We're watching you glances" are everywhere. Conversations start with mistrust. Tabs are allowed for myself but not for them. I used my credit card without incident, they need to verify with their ID every time.

In fact, they've said that life is just a little easier when I am around just because I am around. And I notice that life is a little more difficult when they're around just because they're around.

All this and we are in possibly one of the most accepting cities in the country as far as race is concerned.

I am white. I have friends that I hang with that are black. I see first hand how they are treated based solely on their appearance. Women clutch their purses a little more when they're around. People change the direction they are walking to avoid getting close. The sideways "We're watching you glances" are everywhere. Conversations start with mistrust. Tabs are allowed for myself but not for them. I used my credit card without incident, they need to verify with their ID every time.

In fact, they've said that life is just a little easier when I am around just because I am around. And I notice that life is a little more difficult when they're around just because they're around.

All this and we are in possibly one of the most accepting cities in the country as far as race is concerned.

I'm sure this is all true.  Here is my question though, do they really think getting violent is going to change that perception? 

A common misconception is that Los Angeles is and has been a very accepting city in terms of race. This simply is not true as much as we would all like to believe it. 

Suggested reading:

Bound For Freedom: Black Los Angeles in Jim Crow America

Douglas Flamming

A common misconception is that Los Angeles is and has been a very accepting city in terms of race. This simply is not true as much as we would all like to believe it. 

Suggested reading:

Bound For Freedom: Black Los Angeles in Jim Crow America

Douglas Flamming

Blacks and hispanics square off much more in 2013 LA than anything to do with the Blue-eyed Devil.

Blacks and hispanics square off much more in 2013 LA than anything to do with the Blue-eyed Devil.

That is the case throughout the country but it seems the comment is short sighted and ignores the long term ramifications that racism has caused in our society. Outside of Native Americans, no group has been more oppressed than blacks. While we have come a long way in racial equality, blacks are still left with the result of years of oppression. 

With all that said, I do not think that most of these "protesters" truly care about creating change. Activism is what is needed to create change. They could easily accomplish this due to the level of white guilt in this country which honestly dumbfounds me. Of course not much can be expected to change culturally until the black community changes the perception that is currently held amongst other races in regards to the black community. Instead of JayZ and Stevie stating that they will not perform in the state, they should be leading a movement of change in the black community nationwide. Instead, they will just stay angry and not seek true change. 

As long as rappers like Jay Z and Snoop dog are who the blacks see as true leaders, nothing really is going to change.

Of course I blame the whites too as they fawn over these people who glorify drug use, gang afilliation and demean women.

I agree which is why I posted that statement from MURS earlier. Some hip hop artists get it but the majority do not. The recklessness of many artists is quite disturbing.