• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Phil Nevin’s tirade in the dugout yesterday

Chuck

It’s funny reading the replies to Jomboy’s tweet…

A bunch of Yankee fans are upset that Boone doesn’t show this kind of emotion.

But it’s not like this type of managing is working either.

Boone and Nevin basically say the same things post-game. They’re buddies, were both with the Yankees, and sound exactly like each other.

3 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Boone and Nevin basically say the same things post-game. They’re buddies, were both with the Yankees, and sound exactly like each other.

17 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Too little too late but I love to see it. 

Why too little and why too late?

How do we know he hasn't been on them like this at other times during the year?  In fact we do know that he has been on them like this during April/May.

What more can he do?  Victor says turning over a table doesn't work.

The players know he's right, and  look like teenagers who got caught drinking and driving.  

This team has no leadership or heart, and I blame Trout and Ohtani 100%.

The Ohtani on Team Japan was the consumate leader.   On the Angels, his contract situation has been a huge distraction.  One foot in the pool.  No commitment.

Edited by Swordsman78

5 minutes ago, Trendon said:

This is all talk. He knows he's out as Manager and probably will not get another chance to manage for a long time, if ever, and his own frustrations with his impending fate is boiling over.  Fake urgency. Where was this when the Angels were up 8-3 on the Royals to only lose when the Royals scored 7 runs in the last three innings while he went along/decided on bullpen management being more important than preventing a disastrous precedent of losing large leads? The Angels have coughed up more 3+ run leads and allowed more 10+ run losses to an opposing team than I can ever remember in any previous season.  Where was the blowup during multiple fundamental errors over the course of the season? Where was the response to being bullied in Toronto? He's the one that's full of horseshit, and the players know it.   

I haven't seen baseball this bad from the Angels in quite a while.  And, as far as Velasquez goes, if he is making mental errors, his skillset isn't good enough to keep him in the big leagues over Fletcher, or Rengifo for that matter.  

Injuries are dictating a lot of these moves, we are without our leadoff hitter, (Ward), our two hitter, (Trout), and our cleanup hitter, (Rendon).  Also, our best Catcher, (O'hoppe).  Most teams would struggle if they lost 4 of their 9 starting players.  

24 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

The Ohtani on Team Japan was the consumate leader.   On the Angels, his contract situation has been a huge distraction.  One foot in the pool.  No commitment.

It helps when you speak the same language as your teammates. Really hard to be a leader when you have to talk through someone else

One one hand, yeah, you love to see it... someone that actually gives a damn. 
On the other, its a really really poor look for the franchise that he has to do that. 
Im not going to play the they are professionals thing... it goes without saying, but i also recall a scene towards the end of the old "North Dallas Forty" movie where a player went off saying it still needs to be a game over a business... and quite frankly i think thats where a lot of these guys are.
The joy of the game just looks... gone.  Trout was a different guy in the WBC than he was when he got back for example, and i think losing, falling short, whatever you want to call it has taken a toll on these guys.
Blame whatever, injuries, ... it doesnt matter really the outcome is the same.
I dont know if they are disheartened, tired, given up checked out or just beaten down by this seasons failures and maybe more than just the season for many of them.
Something needs to change... something MUST change

1 hour ago, AngelsFanSince86 said:

It helps when you speak the same language as your teammates. Really hard to be a leader when you have to talk through someone else

I think he knows much more English than he lets on with the media. If he hasnt been learning it, thats a problem as you need to be able to communicate with your teammates. He made enough for some Rosetta Stone. 

The front of the promotional calendar for 2023 had three guys on it, only one has been a consistent contributor. We can all point at a myriad of issues but the fact that Rendon is a ghost and Trout was not his normal self and then got hurt is the major reason why this team has struggled. Holding out hope that one of these years we may not have to continue the whataboutism game. If you were a kid that lived in the area, it would be hard to root for this organization at this point. 

There's a losing culture with this team. Soon as they hit a rough few games, it turns into a bad few weeks. It's been that way since 2016. The 2002 team started out 6-14. Won the next 8 and the rest is history. This team has a good couple of weeks and then a tough loss sends them right back into playing like crap for the next month.

3 hours ago, Swordsman78 said:

Why too little and why too late?

How do we know he hasn't been on them like this at other times during the year?  In fact we do know that he has been on them like this during April/May.

What more can he do?  Victor says turning over a table doesn't work.

The players know he's right, and  look like teenagers who got caught drinking and driving.  

This team has no leadership or heart, and I blame Trout and Ohtani 100%.

Trout is the one with the monster contract.  He’s the home grown player.  His lack of leadership and fire are doom and I said not to sign him.

4 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

4 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

As I posted in a different thread...

Curt Schilling says (in his podcast) that good teams don't wait for the manager to motivate them.   The team leaders take care of that before it ever gets to the point where the Angels are now.