• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What is Reid Detmers' Future? (Potential Overreaction)

m0nkey

20 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

He was drafted just 3 years ago, only 24 years old, but has a 4.69 ERA and 1.34 WHIP in 51 starts and 257.1 innings.

Young and still early in the development or is he going to be an 80-90 ERA + guy?

We’ll know more next year, I think he’ll have some above average years.

He's a control over command guy still, who often makes too many bad pitches with 2 strikes(not all strikes are good strikes). Gotta get better at locating and just making better decisions overall. The secondaries are great, the FB velo ticked up but he needs to command it up in the zone consistently to be effective with it.

18 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

We overrated Canning ("#2-3") and Detmers ("#1-2"). What seems mostly likely is that Canning is a solid #4 and Detmers will eventually settle in as a #3. He's a good pitcher but will never be a great one.

The velo bump post draft and the even further velo bump this past offseason really gave the fan base, myself included, more hope that he may become more. Pretty sure during the draft he was mostly seen as a mid rotation type arm

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

We overrated Canning ("#2-3") and Detmers ("#1-2"). What seems mostly likely is that Canning is a solid #4 and Detmers will eventually settle in as a #3. He's a good pitcher but will never be a great one.

maybe some day, but right now he's pretty fucking far from a #3. this season's performance doesn't even deserve a spot in a good team's rotation.

The other possibility with Detmers is there's something wrong with his arm or shoulder, and he'll have to have surgery and miss a year or two.

Fastball velocity down? Not a good sign for such a young pitcher.

I have very little faith that the Angels trainers etc have any idea what the hell is going on with their personnel.

If he has the physical tools to be in the major leagues then coaching and refinement should help him get the most out of his talent. But there also is the mental side.

He seems to have little confidence when something goes wrong. A bad call, an early hit, defensive failures behind him. A defeatist attitude has set in after a season of repeated breakdowns.

The rest of his season should be dedicated to building up confidence. And that requires fighting through tough times. With more grit and poise. With competent coaching he should have already been making progress. But it's the same story every game. 

Maybe he needs to miss a start or two  to just work on mechanics, strategies and reinforce the mindset that got him early success. Something to break out of this pattern. 

3 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

He'll eventually be traded and win 15 games for his new team with a low-3 ERA.

Can we get some coaches who actually know how to help pitchers?!

When was the last time we traded a young starting pitcher that pitched for the Angels MLB club?  

I think Detmers has good stuff and having horrible run support the 1st half of the season played a mind game on him. He felt he had to make perfect pitches and nobody can do that. Get ahead in the count and make them chase a little of the plate. I am very disappointed in the pitching staff. I don't like Wise because I don't think he knows how to compare a pitcher's good and bad outings and spot a difference that he can tweak. I applauded the hiring of the guy from Driveline, but I think he can just help a pitcher add 1-2 mph on there fastball or another 5% on their spin rate. I want a pitching coach that will go over tapes and see if they spot anything. Work with the pitchers in the bullpen and see if arm angle, grip, and stride can make any difference. Have all pitchers on a weight program strengthening the legs and lower body. 

Get rid of Thames and find a hitting coach who insists on putting the ball in play and cutting down the swing with 2 strikes. Stop treating Home Runs like it is more important then making good contact. I love Neto, but when he says that he tries to hit a Home Run every time he swings, someone should slap him. Hitting a pitch to the right side with a man on 2nd and no outs consistently is more important than hitting a Home Run once every 20 ABs.

Get a better medical and training staff including a massage therapist and a sports psychologist.

1 hour ago, arch stanton said:

deGrom was 26 before he saw a ML inning. Scherzer was 25 before he came into his own. Might take some time to match skill with smarts and command on the mound 

This is basically the open and shut point.  He’s very young.  The Angels aren’t exactly a pitching factory.  I am excited to have him.  I genuinely think he’s going to be a real good pitcher for us. 

wheres that guy that fixed him last year? It wasn’t fucking Matt Wise.  

26 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

This is basically the open and shut point.  He’s very young.  The Angels aren’t exactly a pitching factory.  I am excited to have him.  I genuinely think he’s going to be a real good pitcher for us. 

wheres that guy that fixed him last year? It wasn’t fucking Matt Wise.  

What would be an interesting research is how often Wise visited the mound, and how many times it didn’t work.

I'd be willing to put more blame on the organizational philosophy than on Wise. I know I'm old but I'd really prefer to see more well-placed fastballs early in the count. 93 on a corner at the knees is better than 96 out of the zone or in the fat of the plate or a slider that's never near the zone