• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Minasian's Gambit

2 minutes ago, full circle said:

None of the acquisitions were ever difference makers.  Hell, Barria had better stuff than Giolito the other day.  Throws harder and has a better slider.  These results shouldn’t be surprising.  Minasian and Nevin are not taking us anywhere. 

If you are insinuating Barria is better than Giolito, then you should give up this trolling thing. 

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If you are insinuating Barria is better than Giolito, then you should give up this trolling thing. 

I’m insinuating that Barria had better stuff that game, because I was there.  Giolito didn’t even hit 94 on the gun.  Barria was near 96.  Giolitos slider was trash.  Even if it was an off game, Giolitos velo has trended down.  Should not have traded for a guy like that and certainly not a top prospect. Not a difference maker. 

5 minutes ago, full circle said:

I’m insinuating that Barria had better stuff that game, because I was there.  Giolito didn’t even hit 94 on the gun.  Barria was near 96.  Giolitos slider was trash.  Even if it was an off game, Giolitos velo has trended down.  Should not have traded for a guy like that and certainly not a top prospect. Not a difference maker. 

So in one game he had better stuff. Cool. 

This is a train wreck at this point. I was 100% for trading Ohtani and getting the best possible deal. Now, they will not only get nothing for him, they gave up several of their top prospects for some rent a players. lol I think there's as much of a chance that this team is 10 or more games out of the playoffs on Labor Day as there is that they're 5 or less games. One of the highest payrolls in baseball and they're only 29-25 at home. 

On 8/1/2023 at 7:23 PM, Halo in Chicago said:

He’s got 26 guys on the roster that want to win now and don’t give a crap about the potential of prospects. They’re close enough they needed to commit to going for it. Were the trades perfect? No. Will they hurt in 2-3 years? Who knows? With all the injuries we’ve gone through are we better now than we were a week ago? I’d say yes. 

He had to go for it. I’m glad he did. 

The 26 guys on the roster include the pitchers?

2 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

He did what he was supposed to do. Definitely can't fault him for not trying and every transaction has looked good on the surface. But the Angels will always find a way to be the Angels. 

Two trades made me look at them and question, Quero felt like an overpay but again we got two pieces we thought we needed. And Escobar for two pitchers when he was having a down year. 

10 hours ago, Stradling said:

I think the point is that the gap is smaller in reality than in perception, and that Minasian paid significantly to make a smaller gap that the names "Giolito" and "Barria" imply.

33 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Two trades made me look at them and question, Quero felt like an overpay but again we got two pieces we thought we needed. And Escobar for two pitchers when he was having a down year. 

Giolito was an overpay but you could justify it if you’re going for it….same with Cron and Grichuk….Escobar trade is the one that doesn’t make a lot of sense….I guess we were desperate, several weeks before the deadline, and Eppler took advantage of it….getting Moose the next day took away a lot of Escobar’s playing time….just seems like a bad move then and now….🤷‍♂️

10 hours ago, full circle said:

People argue out of emotion, not logic. 

That is true, though I'm not exempt from it. My post had an emotional element - frustration from the last 14 years of compounded poor decisions, from the last eight years without a playoff berth, and this season, with tantalizing moments of things coming together, and inevitably falling back apart.

Something is deeply fucked up with this franchise. 

Just now, mmc said:

Made perfect sense, Urshela went down for the year and we needed a replacement

Except that Escobar hasn’t played that much….Rengifo has taken most of his AB’s at 2b, with Moose getting more AB’s at 3b….

Just now, DMVol said:

Except that Escobar hasn’t played that much….Rengifo has taken most of his AB’s at 2b, with Moose getting more AB’s at 3b….

He hasn't played because he sucks and has been worse than everyone anticipated.  But at the time we needed another 3B and we got one.  

11 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I think the point is that the gap is smaller in reality than in perception, and that Minasian paid significantly to make a smaller gap that the names "Giolito" and "Barria" imply.

Again it’s not just a name gap. Giolito has an actual track record of being a 1 or 2 starter and Barria is a 6-7th starter/swing man. 

I'm sorry, @mmc, but the endless rationalization of "made sense at the time" falls apart when the results are almost always bad. 

I just don't think there's ever a reason to trade prospects--even fringe ones--for replacement players. The definition of a replacement player is a guy that can be easily found in the high minors. Due to the Angels lack of depth, even those are hard to find. But they still have some options (e.g. Fletcher) that can equal the warm body on the field that Escobar has been.