• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Remaining players to acquire?

Angel Oracle

Remaining players to acquire?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Remaining players to acquire

• One RH starter and one RH setup guy
    • One RH setup guy
    • Two RH setup guys
    • One RH set up guy and one LH set up guy
    • One LH set up guy
    • One RH starter and one LH setup guy
    • Two LH set up guys

12 minutes ago, Trendon said:

One starter, one reliever, and a cheap 4th OF.

I think the cheap 4th OF is being filled by the minor league deals we are making.  I actually would be pleased with Barrera if he got the job during ST.  He can field all 3 positions and his hit tool is sufficient such that I think he can at least be slightly above replacement level.

Alternatively, the idea that was floated of having Walsh/Rengifo occasionally play the corner OF, with Ward serving as the backup CF, and keeping Velazquez on the roster solely for late inning defensive purposes seems like a decent idea too.

If we are operating with the belief that the LT is our limit, we probably realistically have about 7-8mil max left to spend.

Luetge would be a nice pickup if we can get him and would only cost around 1.7mil.  We can fill the other spot with a middle tier reliever.  I'd be pleased with that, if we end up doing the "5.5 rotation" instead of a 6 man rotation.

If the question is who I believe the Angels will acquire versus who I actually would, I the results are pretty different. 

I'm guessing the Angels may get Michael Wacha and Andrew Chafin. The reason being, Minasian is very much a "scouting" type of GM. Video, exit velo, ball movement, etc...

Wacha and Chafin are both former first round picks that kind of fit that criteria.  I figured they can probably get Wacha for 1/7 and Chafin for 2/13 which would put the Angels just under the tax line. 

Edited by Second Base

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

If the question is who I believe the Angels will acquire versus who I actually would, I the results are pretty different. 

I'm guessing the Angels may get Michael Wacha and Andrew Chafin. The reason being, Minasian is very much a "scouting" type of GM. Video, exit velo, ball movement, etc...

Wacha and Chafin are both former first round picks that kind of fit that criteria.  I figured they can probably get Wacha for 1/7 and Chafin for 2/13 which would put the Angels just under the tax line. 

Rich Hill got 8 mill, Wacha will get 10 mill or more might even want a 2-year deal or some kind of option for second year.

53 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Rich Hill got 8 mill, Wacha will get 10 mill or more might even want a 2-year deal or some kind of option for second year.

Probably. But I'd stray from making such assumptions. Hill is on the one year deal plan for the remainder of his career given his age, so his AAV will naturally be a little higher. Plus, he's been a good starter every year since he reinvented himself several years ago, and he doesn't care where he pitches at this point, as long as he's well paid and is still in the game. Hill is banking on pitching well and getting flipped at the trade deadline next year, just like Jose Quintana was last year.

Whereas Wacha had a good half year for the first time since 2018 and is still young enough to go for a "show me" deal with a contender if he thinks he can win, so he can land a larger multi year contract next year. As a point of reference, I'd use Tyler Anderson's 8 million dollar deal with the Dodgers last year. 

And values aren't always fixated on performance, some of it comes down to timing. Tyler Anderson gets 3 years at 13 million a year from the Angels coming off an utterly dominant performance. Eovaldi got considerably more coming off a lesser performance, and Heaney even got more based on incentives from the Rangers. Why? Because Minasian was freaking smart enough to aggressively pursue Anderson early on before the market could be set. 

It was a brilliant move. 

More than likely, Wacha gets 8-10 million, you're right. But if I'm making a baseless prediction, which I am, I think he'll take slightly less to play for a contender in So-Cal so he can tell his grandchildren he played alongside Mike Trout and Shohei Ohtani, which is basically the equivalent of someone playing alongside Mickey Mantle and Babe Ruth (obviously two different eras).