• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jacob deGrom signs with the Rangers (5 years, $185 million)

mmc

That's one risky contract for a 35 year old pitcher that's missed more than half of the last two seasons.  

Angels  only have 13 games against the Rangers next year.   deGrom gets one or two of those starts?  Maybe the Angels miss him completely and he faces the Astros three times.  

It's one guy that pitches once every twelve days.   The Rangers were 68-94 last year. 

17 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Continue to improve the team like we've been doing.

Btw it's December 2nd. We don't need deGrom. That's some Facebook boomer thought process right there. 

We need a SS. And the big 4 are still very much available.

Agreed we need a shortstop! And a #1B TORA. And eventually a closer!

Not a Boomer sorry! 

How are you going to improve the team FA? TRADES? Waiver Wire?

41 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

I looooooooove Degrom and think this is an overpay.  

Relative to how good he is, it' might be an underpay and it's kind of funny to be typing that.  But there is no getting around the sketchy injury history.  

No idea how it turns out but as fans you have to give the Rangers props for being bold.

45 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

They now have 3 massive contracts but have a direction as they want to win now

Crazy part.  Both their big contracts last year showed up, they got what can only be called a miracle season out of Martin Perez and they didn't do much winning.   Nice crop of coming players though, so again, you have to give them props.  They are doing what Arte refused to do -- spend to augment what they had coming up so they aren't reliant on farm hands.

13 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Agreed we need a shortstop! And a #1B TORA. And eventually a closer!

Not a Boomer sorry! 

How are you going to improve the team FA? TRADES? Waiver Wire?

Yes. 

I'd love to have another "ace" like pitcher but I don't think it's something we really need. Fangraphs.com currently projects the Rotation to have the 3rd best WAR in the AL. Probably 4th now, but still.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Crazy part.  Both their big contracts last year showed up, they got what can only be called a miracle season out of Martin Perez and they didn't do much winning.   Nice crop of coming players though, so again, you have to give them props.  They are doing what Arte refused to do -- spend to augment what they had coming up so they aren't reliant on farm hands.

They are still very reliant on their young talent developing.  Every team is.  You can't win for any length of time without developing young, cheap talent.  

13 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Yes. 

I'd love to have another "ace" like pitcher but I don't think it's something we really need. Fangraphs.com currently projects the Rotation to have the 3rd best WAR in the AL. Probably 4th now, but still.

I'm still thinking another TORA #1B is a huge need injuries happen. Hoping for pitchers who haven't been healthy for a few seasons (Canning & CROD) was the historical definition of insanity by former Front Offices!

I'm always pitching is #1 if you lose starts to minor leaguers then your hoping on an unproven prospect to come through. And over the last 8 seasons that hasn't worked out well for us Historically speaking.

IF they were going all in. In hopes of retaining Ohtani. Free Agency is pretty much the only way based solely on our Minor League Development and rating of our system (by the pundits).

DeGrom has the pedigree required of that spot. The last few seasons of injuries are an issue. But, if you get 3, 3.5 seasons of productivity out of 5 years. Overall, today it's considered a WIN. Then you have to understand that during those 1.5 season of breakdown. Another resource would be required to fill in those starts either via FA, Trade or Minor Leagues.

It's all relevant.

I've always been a proponent of dealing from an area of strength if everything works out.

12 minutes ago, AngelsMetsWS said:

If he stays healthy maybe it will be OK. 

I hope he gets a start in Anaheim. 

IF he stays healthy, then the Rangers actually have a great deal for themselves.  But what are the odds that 35 year old Jacob deGrom will have 5 relatively healthy years moving forward?  When you throw as hard as he does, it just seems highly likely he'll spend a significant amount of this deal injured.  The Rangers are definitely a better team now than they were a day ago, but it also depends on how much they are willing to spend.  If they don't intend to spend that much more, I don't know - seems like they're going to fall short, and will soon have multiple expensive contracts for players that can't stay healthy.

Off season deals are still in the early stages and will heat up. It becomes a chess game between competing teams after each big deal is made. The AL West just got more competitive. Especially for the Angels, who likely will be fighting with Rangers trying to bump up into the wild card race. 

A long way to go before the season starts, but the Angels have to factor in what is happening in the division and upgrade their weakest positions. With shortstop the highest priority. If they land one of the big four or equivalent I think it still will do more for them than what de Grom does for Texas. An elite  everyday key position player will add more than a non workhorse starter with injury history.