• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jacob deGrom signs with the Rangers (5 years, $185 million)

mmc

25 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I think this is the reason for the disconnect. Under this criteria we are lumping the Angel pitchers into a 3's and 4's group that is either quite large and thus a meaningless distinction or a 3's and 4's group that compares quite favorably to the 6's, 7's and 8's that most teams are running out there.

I can't really see the rationale of using a 1's, 2's and 3's, etc distinction if it doesn't align with the players teams are actually using in those slots in their rotations. If your Cy Young runners up are #2's then your system just doesn't make any sense.

So then replace “1, 2, 3, 4, and 5” with “top of rotation,” “middle of rotation,” and “back of rotation.” In my opinion, Sandoval is a middle of the rotation guy, while Detmers, Anderson and Suarez are - at this point in time at least - all middle of the rotation to back of the rotation guys. 

9 minutes ago, wopphil said:

So then replace “1, 2, 3, 4, and 5” with “top of rotation,” “middle of rotation,” and “back of rotation.” In my opinion, Sandoval is a middle of the rotation guy, while Detmers, Anderson and Suarez are - at this point in time at least - all middle of the rotation to back of the rotation guys. 

I think if Sandoval is a middle of the rotation guy then any pitcher with a 2.90 ERA or higher is middle of the rotation guys. That list is headlined by Gerrit Cole this year and Ohtani last year.  

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I think if Sandoval is a middle of the rotation guy then any pitcher with a 2.90 ERA or higher is middle of the rotation guys. That list is headlined by Gerrit Cole this year and Ohtani last year.  

But he has done that for one year, and didn’t even throw enough innings to qualify. 

Look, as I have said like a dozen times now, I think Sandoval is a great pitcher. And I like the other guys in the rotation too. I just think we are still a bit thin on rotation quality and could use one more high caliber arm. 

I think there is undervalue of Angels pitching without looking at the league in comparison. The top five Cy Young candidates do not define the #1 category.  It defines elite pitchers having career years like MVP's don't define the top tier of position players. It is an unattainable tier for all but five players per season and that list rotates. 

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

150 innings and a sub-3.00 ERA is a mid-rotation starter on what? A #1 rotation in baseball? Lol. 

16 minutes ago, wopphil said:

But he has done that for one year, and didn’t even throw enough innings to qualify. 

Look, as I have said like a dozen times now, I think Sandoval is a great pitcher. And I like the other guys in the rotation too. I just think we are still a bit thin on rotation quality and could use one more high caliber arm. 

Two years, he had a 124 ERA+ in 2021. 

13 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Yes, he's done it for one year, and his peripherals show he can sustain that level of success. His FIP was 3.09 and he had a .316 BABIP. 

I think it's normal to want more of a history of success in order to feel positive about the future. But Sandoval doesn't have that history because he just broke out. He's 26.

Sandoval ranks 40th in fWAR for starting pitchers over the last two seasons. But that actually underrates him because of his lower innings (a consequence of pitching in a six man rotation, as well as the fact that they're being extra cautious around the younger guys). His ERA puts him at #23 among all starters with at least 200 ip total over the last two seasons.

Ohtani is obviously the coolest part of this time, with Trout being next.

But Sandoval has been the first guy I've been excited about in a long time, going back to last year. I really hope we lock him up.

He may never be a Cy Young contender, but I'd say he's been the best pitcher that came through the system (Ohtani aside) since Weaver.

• 6 months later...
On 12/3/2022 at 12:50 AM, gurn67 said:

I think the odds of him throwing less than 300 innings during the duration of that contract is much higher than the odds of him throwing more than 600 innings.

I think those odds just went up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...