• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jacob deGrom signs with the Rangers (5 years, $185 million)

mmc

Well, the upside for the Rangers is that DeGrom doesn't have a ton of wear and tear on his arm: He's got about 1700 professional innings (majors and minors) through age 34, which isn't much. Kershaw is the same age and has almost twice as many with about 2800.

That said, that's a ton of dough for a 35-year old who has managed only 220 innings over the last three seasons. But he's still an incredible pitcher, so if they can get 150+ IP from him for most of those years, I suppose it will be worth it.

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

IF he stays healthy, then the Rangers actually have a great deal for themselves.  But what are the odds that 35 year old Jacob deGrom will have 5 relatively healthy years moving forward?  When you throw as hard as he does, it just seems highly likely he'll spend a significant amount of this deal injured.  The Rangers are definitely a better team now than they were a day ago, but it also depends on how much they are willing to spend.  If they don't intend to spend that much more, I don't know - seems like they're going to fall short, and will soon have multiple expensive contracts for players that can't stay healthy.

I agree, I doubt he stays healthy.  And getting shelled his last few starts this year gives me a queasy feeling, most of his injuries were preceded by a few off starts. 

note my moniker, me and most of my Mets fan buddies aren’t too upset with him leaving at that number.  

Or he could pitch like Verlander did at the same age. If he does then it makes beating the Rangers extremely difficult. 

I don't think I'm going out on a limb saying he is not a welcome addition to the AL West competition and I had sort of hoped the Angels could have acquired him instead. 

They went huge on a deal that could be a home run or an absolute disaster.  

I doubt they're done to be honest.  Seems like they could go big for another OFer and I wouldn't be surprised if they trade for a starter.   Or vice versa.  They actually have deGrom at 30m this year which makes me think they're trying to leave room for some more payroll.   Thinking they might go after Nimmo.  

Jacob DeGrom is the best pitcher in baseball by a wide margin..... When he's on the mound. If he's healthy, he's the best. And there's no in between with DeGrom. He won't be healthy and not dominate, that's not who he is, at any age. 

And he's only gotten better with age. It's a good signing for the Rangers, if he stays healthy. 

6 hours ago, rafibomb said:

Shit that’s a huge commitment. If the Angels signed him to this deal he’d be broken by the 2nd year.

6 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Shit that’s a huge commitment. If the Angels signed him to this deal he’d be broken by the 2nd year week of spring training

If the Angels signed him, DeGrom would have torn thumb ligaments from the pen he used to sign the contract.

8 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Well, the upside for the Rangers is that DeGrom doesn't have a ton of wear and tear on his arm: He's got about 1700 professional innings (majors and minors) through age 34, which isn't much. Kershaw is the same age and has almost twice as many with about 2800.

That said, that's a ton of dough for a 35-year old who has managed only 220 innings over the last three seasons. But he's still an incredible pitcher, so if they can get 150+ IP from him for most of those years, I suppose it will be worth it.

Yes - this is true and an underrated point.  While we can easily point to deGrom's health history and assume it is more of the same moving forward, it's possible that by him being hurt and missing tons of games, he has less wear and tear and may stay healthier moving forward.

All that said, I think he throws SO hard that, probably, that in of itself portends more injuries in the future.  

12 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Apologies, sometimes, it's frustrating trade for a young guy then!... Solid replies! What do you suggest? Don't just sit there... And play the emoji game!

I suggest you order MyPillow! Your post clearly exhibits a lack of sleep and poor judgment. Having a bad night’s sleep can lead to irritability and inability to think clearly. Order MyPillow right now and you can expect to make non-insane posts within a week as it’s guaranteed to provide the best night of sleep you’ve ever had!

Order now and I’ll thrown in a free pair of MySlippers, GUARANTEED to be just what your tired dogs need to rest as well.

Enter your personal code NOEMOJIS to take advantage of this offer!

20 minutes ago, VladdyforHOF said:

Astros are going to be the Astros again.

M's are young and scary.

Jacob DeGrom is now in the AL West.

Fuck.

Time for the Angels to counter this. We NEED to sign a SS.

This is a good point. You can’t just look at what the Angels have done to improve, you have to look at what other teams have done as well. Because ultimately, they have to beat those other teams. Angels need more talent to compete - a shortstop, and preferably an ace. Going to be hard to get one of those, let alone both. 

Just now, wopphil said:

This is a good point. You can’t just look at what the Angels have done to improve, you have to look at what other teams have done as well. Because ultimately, they have to beat those other teams. Angels need more talent to compete - a shortstop, and preferably an ace. Going to be hard to get one of those, let alone both. 

They have an ace.

Their biggest need is bullpen.

38 minutes ago, wopphil said:

One thing to consider is that while we still face our divisional rivals more than other teams, the schedule is less tilted towards that moving forward.  Instead of the 18-19 games against each divisional team, it's now 14.  So, around 20 games or so less against our division.