• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2023 26-Man Roster (Updated 2/16)

Angelsjunky

4 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Just popped into this thread.

This is sort of a pointless thing, but since I'm bored today, here's my 2 cents...

SPs (5): Anderson, Sandoval, Detmers, Suarez, Silseth. Next up: Davidson, Canning, Daniel

Ohtani (1): Ohtani

RPs (8): Estevez, Loup, Tepera, Quijada, Herget, Barria, Wantz for the top 7, and then you can have whoever you want out of Devenski, Webb, Holder, Warren, Marte, Ortega, Garza and C-Rod. (And don't be surprised if it's Lucas Luetge, who got DFA'd yesterday by the Yankees.)

(Davidson is out of options, so I'm not sure what to do with him. Maybe he gets the 6th spot in the rotation or maybe he's a reliever. Or maybe he's a reliever who makes spot starts. Or maybe they DFA him. Who knows?)

C (2): Stassi, O'Hoppe. (Next up Thaiss, who is out of options)

IF (7): Walsh, Fletcher, Rengifo, Drury, Urshela, Rendon, Velazquez. (next up Lamb, Soto)

OF (3): Trout, Ward, Renfroe (next up Adell, Moniak)

You'll note that I am not putting a true 4th OFer on the team because the Angels keep talking about how so many of their IFers can also play the corner OF (pretty much every single one of them except for Rendon and Velazquez), so I am thinking that's what they're going to do. I think they could really use Velazquez for his speed and defense, more than having someone like Adell or Moniak as a 4th OF. Also, lets those guys play every day at AAA.

I agree. I posted something similar earlier today on the same thread. Minasian has created a lot of multi-positional depth this off-season. Urshela, Drury, Walsh and maybe even Rengifo can play corner outfield. Moniak can play ED in SLC. They could end up not picking up a 4th outfielder and going after a true SS. It's probably more likely they stay where they are at this point and stay under the LT cap.

6 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

There's a whole spring training between now and then.

Thanks Jeff.  As always, appreciate your insight.  You not listing a 4th OF is kind of what we have discussed throughout the offseason.  While I would think they would keep a 4th OF, it does seem there is a possible pathway for them to avoid it.  

Keeping Velazquez on the roster is actually an interesting idea in that regard.  You can potentially keep 7 infielders, and have Velazquez enter the game as a late inning defensive replacement fairly routinely, with Fletcher shifting over to 2B.  At least defensively, an infield of Walsh, Fletcher, Velazquez, and Rendon should be a great defensive combo.  Just, well, not offensively 😉 

And this way, the young players with more upside (Moniak, Adell, Soto, etc) can play regularly in AAA in the interim.

6 hours ago, Trendon said:

- Add Drury into probable players.

- Add Garza into light blue and bold, as he’s on the 40-man.

- Remove the bold from Rosenberg, as he’s off the 40-man.

- Add Lamb into light blue

- Add Diaz, Kalish, and Romero, as a SP into light blue.

- It seems like Soto and Velazquez should be in the same tier, with both as possible players. Soto, Velazquez, Moniak, and Adell are all possible players, and one will make the roster.

Thanks, this is super helpful as I tend to phase out during this time of the year form the Winter Meetings until Spring Training - the darkest part of the year in more ways than one.

Will update momentarily.

• Angelsjunky changed the title to 2023 26-Man Roster (Updated 12/22)
6 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Probably a lot of things.

But in this case for now let’s just call it “informed speculation.”

Since he was DFA'd, the Angels would need to trade for him. If some framework is already in place, I'm curious what it will cost. Angels are obviously familiar with the Yankees (Peguero/Junk trade, Wade, Velazquez, Nevin and Thames); wonder if the Yankees want a young pitcher or OF?

Also wonder if they are allowing Luetge to have a say in where he goes. Doesn't hurt agent relationships and garners a good rep among players. 

2 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

Since he was DFA'd, the Angels would need to trade for him. If some framework is already in place, I'm curious what it will cost. Angels are obviously familiar with the Yankees (Peguero/Junk trade, Wade, Velazquez, Nevin and Thames); wonder if the Yankees want a young pitcher or OF?

Also wonder if they are allowing Luetge to have a say in where he goes. Doesn't hurt agent relationships and garners a good rep among players. 

Could also be they put a claim on him and aren’t expecting to be beat out by another club, or maybe they’ve heard the claim will go to them if the Yanks don’t work out a deal first. Not sure how those timing processes work and what’s known.

Or maybe they just put in a claim and are hoping for the best. 

6 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

Considering he was DFA'd, the acquisition cost would be rather low.  Could probably ship out a rather low level, 35+ FV type player to them.  

I'd do it.  He is better and cheaper than the current options on the market.  He is projected to earn 1.7mil in arbitration.  

If the team is aiming to toe the luxury tax line, this would be a solid move, and we'd still probably have about 5-7mil left for a SP too.

On 12/23/2022 at 6:52 AM, Jeff Fletcher said:

Just popped into this thread.

This is sort of a pointless thing, but since I'm bored today, here's my 2 cents...

SPs (5): Anderson, Sandoval, Detmers, Suarez, Silseth. Next up: Davidson, Canning, Daniel

Ohtani (1): Ohtani

RPs (8): Estevez, Loup, Tepera, Quijada, Herget, Barria, Wantz for the top 7, and then you can have whoever you want out of Devenski, Webb, Holder, Warren, Marte, Ortega, Garza and C-Rod. (And don't be surprised if it's Lucas Luetge, who got DFA'd yesterday by the Yankees.)

(Davidson is out of options, so I'm not sure what to do with him. Maybe he gets the 6th spot in the rotation or maybe he's a reliever. Or maybe he's a reliever who makes spot starts. Or maybe they DFA him. Who knows?)

C (2): Stassi, O'Hoppe. (Next up Thaiss, who is out of options)

IF (7): Walsh, Fletcher, Rengifo, Drury, Urshela, Rendon, Velazquez. (next up Lamb, Soto)

OF (3): Trout, Ward, Renfroe (next up Adell, Moniak)

You'll note that I am not putting a true 4th OFer on the team because the Angels keep talking about how so many of their IFers can also play the corner OF (pretty much every single one of them except for Rendon and Velazquez), so I am thinking that's what they're going to do. I think they could really use Velazquez for his speed and defense, more than having someone like Adell or Moniak as a 4th OF. Also, lets those guys play every day at AAA.

Maybe Barrera instead of Velazquez, but like the rest

On 12/22/2022 at 4:41 PM, Jeff Fletcher said:

The Contreras thing wasn't really legit, I've since learned. They had been in on him just in case his market didn't develop and they could steal him. They are pretty committed to O'Hoppe being the catcher of the future, so I believe they are ready to roll with the guys they have. If they pick up someone else, it would probably be just extra insurance at AAA.

I thought it was interesting that Perry didn’t mention catcher when he was listing areas with room to improve.

I wonder if it was just an accidental omission when he was just rattling off areas with room to improve or if he believes that it’s not an area with room to improve?

58 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I thought it was interesting that Perry didn’t mention catcher when he was listing areas with room to improve.

I wonder if it was just an accidental omission when he was just rattling off areas with room to improve or if he believes that it’s not an area with room to improve?

I'm sure it was an accident. Perry is never going to admit he's comfortable with anything short of Trout and Ohtani.

2 hours ago, Trendon said:

Yeah I mean, you know, he basically cited every part of the team lol.  Which I would expect from just about any GM in general.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, mmc said:

Glut of minor leaguers to add to the list, Godoy, Reyes, Vieaux, Padlo, Barrera, Gomez

And with a glut of AAA being added, might you consider removing some of the AA players who have fallen way down the depth chart.

Guys like:

Humphreys, Mulrine, DiChiara, Jackson, Neto, Teodosio, Bush, Crow, Kerry, Smith, Lee, Bachman, Erla, Pina, Murphy, Torres, Joyce, Dashwood, and Hernandez

Some of those guys may still be worthy of staying on the list, but guys like Mulrine, DiChiara, Jackson, Teodosio, and Pina all struggled at AA or AAA.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

And with a glut of AAA being added, might you consider removing some of the AA players who have fallen way down the depth chart.

Guys like:

Humphreys, Mulrine, DiChiara, Jackson, Neto, Teodosio, Bush, Crow, Kerry, Smith, Lee, Bachman, Erla, Pina, Murphy, Torres, Joyce, Dashwood, and Hernandez

Some of those guys may still be worthy of staying on the list, but guys like Mulrine, DiChiara, Jackson, Teodosio, and Pina all struggled at AA or AAA.

Depth.

Not sure if this is the place to predict roster moves but we have a couple players who ran out of options but are fringe players. I’m not positive Thaiss or Davidson make it on the 26 man roster. They aren’t the worst guys on our 40 man roster but they could be DFA’d to make room for other acquisitions or released during spring training. 

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Not sure if this is the place to predict roster moves but we have a couple players who ran out of options but are fringe players. I’m not positive Thaiss or Davidson make it on the 26 man roster. They aren’t the worst guys on our 40 man roster but they could be DFA’d to make room for other acquisitions or released during spring training. 

I would assume that they will both get a look in ST.  The only way I would imagine Thaiss is DFA'd before ST is if they acquire a backup catcher.  Otherwise, I would anticipate that they'd at least see how they both look.  But yeah, given the lack of options, if they fall flat in ST, they would seem to be prime DFA candidates.

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

3 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I would assume that they will both get a look in ST.  The only way I would imagine Thaiss is DFA'd before ST is if they acquire a backup catcher.  Otherwise, I would anticipate that they'd at least see how they both look.  But yeah, given the lack of options, if they fall flat in ST, they would seem to be prime DFA candidates.

Yeah, I think they wait to DFA Davidson/Thaiss until after they get a look at them in Spring Training.

It’d also be easier to pass them through waivers if you do it at the end of Spring Training, since teams will be finalizing their rosters and it’d be tougher for them to make room on the 40-man and 26-man rosters.

On 11/8/2022 at 2:55 PM, Angelsjunky said:

As with last year, I'll be updating this as the offseason commences (can a moderator sticky this?)

To start, I'm including everyone on the 40-man roster, plus most guys that could conceivably either make the 26-man roster on Opening Day and/or start in the high minors and be called up within the first month or two. Obviously some of these guys are dubious and many won't see the major league team. But to start, best to take a big umbrella approach. Anyone I'm missing?

image.png

I think our opening day roster may be right here.

The 21 in dark red plus a catcher, a 4th outfielder, a 6th starter and two relievers.

There will obviously be competition for those 5 spots in ST but I think it could be O'Hoppe, Moniak, Canning, Wantz and a wild card reliever.

Godoy is my bet for the 2nd catcher.  

I think Silseth is the front runner for the 6th spot right now and if he does make the team out of spring I bet they use him to split up the other lefties and use Suarez out of the pen for the first couple weeks while the starters ramp up and the need for a 6th starter arises. 

Or they could go with 5 starters to kick off the year and keep an extra pen arm out of the gate.  They might keep that extra arm anyway and go with a 3 guy bench.