• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2023 26-Man Roster (Updated 2/16)

Angelsjunky

On 11/30/2022 at 7:13 PM, Warfarin said:

Given Trout's recent health track record, and Ward's injury issues, there's a very real possibility that we could, at some point, see an OF of Adell LF, Moniak CF, Renfroe RF.  That would cost us a LOT of games.  I do feel OF depth should be a priority.

Yep, need a 4th OFer who can start up to say 60-80 games and not cost them offensively or defensively.

58 minutes ago, Revad said:

That would be prudent.  It might mean a trade or spending some extra but someone more proven than Moniak, who should be first up from AAA.

Several people are talking about this, but I honestly think it's a terrible idea. You're not going to get a top tier guy to accept a backup role, so you're looking borderline replacement level anyway. You need a young guy in AAA ready to come up. Sorry but I'd rather let Moniak play than see a guy like Kevin Kiermaier or Bradley Zimmer out there. Urshela and Fletcher can play the corners if need be.

They need to sign a SS (Swanson) or Sign a SP and trade for a SS (Adames, Kim, etc.).

22 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Several people are talking about this, but I honestly think it's a terrible idea. You're not going to get a top tier guy to accept a backup role, so you're looking borderline replacement level anyway. You need a young guy in AAA ready to come up. Sorry but I'd rather let Moniak play than see a guy like Kevin Kiermaier or Bradley Zimmer out there. Urshela and Fletcher can play the corners if need be.

They need to sign a SS (Swanson) or Sign a SP and trade for a SS (Adames, Kim, etc.).

If your comfortable having Moniak play fine, but that’s about 60 games he’ll be doing it and Adell behind him.  I bet they can find someone better than that if they’re creative.  I’m not saying spend $8 million but some resources should be used there.

The  whole SS frenzy is only about the offense since we have Squid.  The Angels need to be creative and improve where they can, the cost for a good SS is high anyway and there are three or four teams that are competing just in the trade market.  Andrus and his agent are rubbing their hands even.

It’s not a terrible idea when you consider injury risk.

1 minute ago, Revad said:

If your comfortable having Moniak play fine, but that’s about 60 games he’ll be doing it and Adell behind him.  I bet they can find someone better than that if they’re creative.  I’m not saying spend $8 million but some resources should be used there.

The  whole SS frenzy is only about the offense since we have Squid.  The Angels need to be creative and improve where they can, the cost for a good SS is high anyway and there are three or four teams that are competing just in the trade market.  Andrus and his agent are rubbing their hands even.

It’s not a terrible idea when you consider injury risk.

My plan for the OF would include Moniak as the 4th OF in Anaheim, since he's a lefty and the other three guys are righties. I'm comfortable with him for 60 games.

We're judging the former #1 overall pick off 122 PA and 167 PA in his career? He killed it last year in ST, won the job and then got injured. He played a few games with us and got injured. Adell is a former top prospect too. They can fill in if needed. 

At the same time, Squid is quite possibly the worst hitter in all of baseball. He belongs nowhere near the Angels lineup. 

However, if there is a prolonged absence, of Ward or Renfroe, I'd move Urshela to 1st and put Walsh in RF. Give Moniak a few starts here and there, but mostly start Walsh in the OF.

I'd also consider Rengifo out there. 

There aren't any OF I'd want to platoon with Ward or Renfroe available besides possibly Kole Calhoun, and he was terrible in Texas last year and might be had on a minor league deal. 

52 minutes ago, Hubs said:

The terrible idea is handing the 4th OF job to incompetent MLB players. Sure, Adell and Moniak have potential, but you can't rely on "potential," as we've seen with Jo Adell in the last three seasons.

You don't need a "top tier guy to accept a backup role." You sign someone who'll take a platoon/backup role for $2-$3 million.

11 minutes ago, Hubs said:

However, if there is a prolonged absence, of Ward or Renfroe, I'd move Urshela to 1st and put Walsh in RF. Give Moniak a few starts here and there, but mostly start Walsh in the OF.

I'd also consider Rengifo out there. 

and what happens if an infielder is injured and Urshela is needed in the infield and you can't move anyone from the infield to the outfield?

How about trying to see if FA Robbie Grossman would accept a 4th OF contract?

He did slump to a .622 OPS in 2022, but has been solid enough in his career and is a switch-hitter.

Defense can be a little iffy.

Take a chance on him for 2023?

Just not feeling it for 2023 with either Moniak or Adell.

Edited by Angel Oracle

43 minutes ago, Trendon said:

The terrible idea is handing the 4th OF job to incompetent MLB players. Sure, Adell and Moniak have potential, but you can't rely on "potential," as we've seen with Jo Adell in the last three seasons.

You don't need a "top tier guy to accept a backup role." You sign someone who'll take a platoon/backup role for $2-$3 million.

and what happens if an infielder is injured and Urshela is needed in the infield and you can't move anyone from the infield to the outfield?

There are all really good thoughts.

Just thinking things through - if we acquired a starting SS, with full health, we would have, in terms of IF/OF - 1B Walsh, 2B Rengifo, SS Acquisition, 3B Rendon, RF Renfroe, CF Trout, LF Ward.

If an OF goes down, then conceivably we have Moniak ...

If more go down, such as, say, Ward, then I would say we could pivot Walsh to LF and Urshela would start at 1B.

Worst case, in terms of rotating people around - Rengifo flips out to LF, Fletcher takes over 2B, Urshela starts at 1B, Walsh goes to RF.  Those are all somewhat creative ways to rotate people around, while trying to prevent having to start sub-replacement level guys.

All that said, in an ideal world, we can get both a SS and a modest backup OF.

8 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

There are all really good thoughts.

Just thinking things through - if we acquired a starting SS, with full health, we would have, in terms of IF/OF - 1B Walsh, 2B Rengifo, SS Acquisition, 3B Rendon, RF Renfroe, CF Trout, LF Ward.

If an OF goes down, then conceivably we have Moniak ...

If more go down, such as, say, Ward, then I would say we could pivot Walsh to LF and Urshela would start at 1B.

Worst case, in terms of rotating people around - Rengifo flips out to LF, Fletcher takes over 2B, Urshela starts at 1B, Walsh goes to RF.  Those are all somewhat creative ways to rotate people around, while trying to prevent having to start sub-replacement level guys.

Nice summary.  I’m wondering how much Andrus will get, and for one or two years?  If you can get him, an inexpensive RP and a fourth OF or back-up catcher it would be worth doing it by spending only money, at least until the trade deadline.

The whole sign a SP and then trade pitching plus for a SS would allow for more improvement I guess.  But the FA SP would need to be maybe 15M average to stay under the tax.  Not enough to significantly improve the staff if you trade Suarez.  Plus prospects or mlb players.

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

Yep.

If they get a starting SS, then it’d be more feasible for them to not add a 4th OF because of the ability to shift infielders to the outfield like you mentioned.

Basically, they need to add at least one more MLB caliber position player.

• Angelsjunky changed the title to 2023 26-Man Roster (Updated 12/9)
  • 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, TempeAngel said:

As it stands now with the addition of Drury they have enough depth to keep Moniak in SLC playing everyday and use Drury, Urshela and maybe even Rengifo as a 4th Ofer trio. Ward can play CF when Trout needs a day off. 

While I think that's possible, I am somewhat skeptical they would do that and not have an actual 4th OF on the roster.  Drury's addition means we have 6 infielders, but given we will have a bench of 4, that still leaves one spot for an OF (with the other spot being a backup catcher).

That said, the offseason is not over, so we'll see what other additions are made.

44 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

While I think that's possible, I am somewhat skeptical they would do that and not have an actual 4th OF on the roster.  Drury's addition means we have 6 infielders, but given we will have a bench of 4, that still leaves one spot for an OF (with the other spot being a backup catcher).

That said, the offseason is not over, so we'll see what other additions are made.

True, but I think they have the depth now to cover the OF and that the last spot could be a true SS and not a 4th Ofer. It probably won't play out that way but it could.

33 minutes ago, TempeAngel said:

True, but I think they have the depth now to cover the OF and that the last spot could be a true SS and not a 4th Ofer. It probably won't play out that way but it could.

We'll see.  I could see it as more of a possibility if, say, Soto looks amazing in spring training and they feel that they'd rather him play SS on the team.  Then various others could be shifted around.  But then injuries could also mitigate that, etc.

I think we'll likely see someone on the roster that is mainly an OF.  The versatility of Rengifo (and perhaps Walsh) is helpful for providing corner OF coverage, but I would still expect to see some sort of traditional 4th OF on the roster.

34 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

We'll see.  I could see it as more of a possibility if, say, Soto looks amazing in spring training and they feel that they'd rather him play SS on the team.  Then various others could be shifted around.  But then injuries could also mitigate that, etc.

I think we'll likely see someone on the roster that is mainly an OF.  The versatility of Rengifo (and perhaps Walsh) is helpful for providing corner OF coverage, but I would still expect to see some sort of traditional 4th OF on the roster.

I agree we'll still have a 4th OF on the team. But with Drury signing they will, as I have maintained since they brought in Renfroe, not sign anyone to a major league contract for the 4th OF spot. It will be Moniak or Adell, and I'm betting on Moniak since he is left handed and the lineup is very very right handed.

The 26 man roster allows for a 6 man rotation and an 8 man pen, but that allows only 12 hitters. Luckily for us, they really have 13 pitchers 12 hitters, and Ohtani who does both.

So for the 13 man offensive side, I think its:

OF Trout, Ward, Renfroe, Moniak*

1B Walsh*

2B Drury, Rengifo^

SS Fletcher

3B Rendon, Urshela

C Stassi, Thaiss*

DH Ohtani*

*Left Handed Hitter ^Switch Hitter

They don't need to carry Velazquez or Soto for defense with 6 other infielders. The backup SS is Rengifo or Urshela.

Neto I think starts in AA and O'Hoppe in AAA. The SS in AAA will be Soto with Jackson at 2B.

Edited by Hubs

On 11/8/2022 at 2:55 PM, Angelsjunky said:

image.png

- Add Drury into probable players.

- Add Garza into light blue and bold, as he’s on the 40-man.

- Remove the bold from Rosenberg, as h: off the 40-man.

- Add Lamb into light blue

- Add Diaz, Kalish, and Romero, as a SP into light blue.

- Remove Ortega.

- It seems like Soto and Velazquez should be in the same tier, with both as possible players. Soto, Velazquez, Moniak, and Adell are all possible players, and one will make the roster.

Edited by Trendon

Just popped into this thread.

This is sort of a pointless thing, but since I'm bored today, here's my 2 cents...

SPs (5): Anderson, Sandoval, Detmers, Suarez, Silseth. Next up: Davidson, Canning, Daniel

Ohtani (1): Ohtani

RPs (8): Estevez, Loup, Tepera, Quijada, Herget, Barria, Wantz for the top 7, and then you can have whoever you want out of Devenski, Webb, Holder, Warren, Marte, Ortega, Garza and C-Rod. (And don't be surprised if it's Lucas Luetge, who got DFA'd yesterday by the Yankees.)

(Davidson is out of options, so I'm not sure what to do with him. Maybe he gets the 6th spot in the rotation or maybe he's a reliever. Or maybe he's a reliever who makes spot starts. Or maybe they DFA him. Who knows?)

C (2): Stassi, O'Hoppe. (Next up Thaiss, who is out of options)

IF (7): Walsh, Fletcher, Rengifo, Drury, Urshela, Rendon, Velazquez. (next up Lamb, Soto)

OF (3): Trout, Ward, Renfroe (next up Adell, Moniak)

You'll note that I am not putting a true 4th OFer on the team because the Angels keep talking about how so many of their IFers can also play the corner OF (pretty much every single one of them except for Rendon and Velazquez), so I am thinking that's what they're going to do. I think they could really use Velazquez for his speed and defense, more than having someone like Adell or Moniak as a 4th OF. Also, lets those guys play every day at AAA.

4 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Just popped into this thread.

This is sort of a pointless thing, but since I'm bored today, here's my 2 cents...

SPs (5): Anderson, Sandoval, Detmers, Suarez, Silseth. Next up: Davidson, Canning, Daniel

Ohtani (1): Ohtani

RPs (8): Estevez, Loup, Tepera, Quijada, Herget, Barria, Wantz for the top 7, and then you can have whoever you want out of Devenski, Webb, Holder, Warren, Marte, Ortega, Garza and C-Rod. (And don't be surprised if it's Lucas Luetge, who got DFA'd yesterday by the Yankees.)

(Davidson is out of options, so I'm not sure what to do with him. Maybe he gets the 6th spot in the rotation or maybe he's a reliever. Or maybe he's a reliever who makes spot starts. Or maybe they DFA him. Who knows?)

C (2): Stassi, O'Hoppe. (Next up Thaiss, who is out of options)

IF (7): Walsh, Fletcher, Rengifo, Drury, Urshela, Rendon, Velazquez. (next up Lamb, Soto)

OF (3): Trout, Ward, Renfroe (next up Adell, Moniak)

You'll note that I am not putting a true 4th OFer on the team because the Angels keep talking about how so many of their IFers can also play the corner OF (pretty much every single one of them except for Rendon and Velazquez), so I am thinking that's what they're going to do. I think they could really use Velazquez for his speed and defense, more than having someone like Adell or Moniak as a 4th OF. Also, lets those guys play every day at AAA.

A lot of great nuggets here and insight, thanks Jeff.

I see you listed Stassi and O'Hoppe.  I agree that it seems like Thaiss comes after those two.  What are the odds that they add another catcher before spring?  They were rumored to be in on Contreras.

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

A lot of great nuggets here and insight, thanks Jeff.

I see you listed Stassi and O'Hoppe.  I agree that it seems like Thaiss comes after those two.  What are the odds that they add another catcher before spring?  They were rumored to be in on Contreras.

The Contreras thing wasn't really legit, I've since learned. They had been in on him just in case his market didn't develop and they could steal him. They are pretty committed to O'Hoppe being the catcher of the future, so I believe they are ready to roll with the guys they have. If they pick up someone else, it would probably be just extra insurance at AAA.

Just now, Jeff Fletcher said:

The Contreras thing wasn't really legit, I've since learned. They had been in on him just in case his market didn't develop and they could steal him. They are pretty committed to O'Hoppe being the catcher of the future, so I believe they are ready to roll with the guys they have. If they pick up someone else, it would probably be just extra insurance at AAA.

Thanks Jeff!  Do you think it's likely that O'Hoppe will be the starter at the very start of the year?  This FO is aggressive with promotions, but I figured the one spot they might be more inclined to be slower with in terms of progression would be a catcher, given all that is entailed with catching.