• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2023 26-Man Roster (Updated 2/16)

Angelsjunky

2 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

If I was predicting today, I'd say Thaiss, Davidson, and Joyce take the last three spots, but who knows. 

I’d say Thaiss, Davidson, and Wantz.

There was a piece from Baseball America today that highlighted how Joyce doesn’t really have much experience pitching on short rest. They’d have to handle him like C-Rod in 2021, where he can only pitch once every 2-3 days.

I’d start him in the minors and prepare him for that kind of workload, or at least see how he reacts to it. I also like the idea of being able to bring up Joyce if the pen needs a shot in the arm in May or June.

31 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Despite your bizarre hate-on for Phillips, this isn't happening. Go check Fletcher's defensive numbers last year vs. Velazquez. They aren't dumping Phillips for a mild (at best) improvement at shortstop defense vs a severe downgrade at outfield defense.

Velazquez is only mildly faster than Phillips and is not a better hitter. 

Your arbitrary bias against Phillips is funny, but not remotely logical. First it was, "Moniak is a better hitter". Now it's, "We need Velazquez for defense".  What did he do, sleep with your sister? 😂😂😂

All I'm doing is stating my opinion. I think Philips is a waste of roster spot. If Philips is so good, why only 1 team in MLB offered him a major league deal. You have your opinion and mine is different. You go 5th grade with is he sleeping with your sister. That just shows me your level as a human being. People have a difference of OPINION on many things. I'm sure Nevin, Minasian and coaches will give their OPINION and we will see what happens. I do not hate Philips just think halos have better options in my OPINION.

21 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

All I'm doing is stating my opinion. I think Philips is a waste of roster spot. If Philips is so good, why only 1 team in MLB offered him a major league deal. You have your opinion and mine is different. You go 5th grade with is he sleeping with your sister. That just shows me your level as a human being. People have a difference of OPINION on many things. I'm sure Nevin, Minasian and coaches will give their OPINION and we will see what happens. I do not hate Philips just think halos have better options in my OPINION.

I'm assuming there must be a reason you clearly have a bias against him because you can't even decide what your problem is with him. He can't hit. No, we need a shortstop. Nah, it's that no one else made a major league offer. It's really strange and kinda creepy how fixated you are with him not being on the roster.

50 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I’d say Thaiss, Davidson, and Wantz.

There was a piece from Baseball America today that highlighted how Joyce doesn’t really have much experience pitching on short rest. They’d have to handle him like C-Rod in 2021, where he can only pitch once every 2-3 days.

I’d start him in the minors and prepare him for that kind of workload, or at least see how he reacts to it. I also like the idea of being able to bring up Joyce if the pen needs a shot in the arm in May or June.

Like I said, I'm just throwing a name out there. It's too hard to know for sure what is most important to them and what direction they're likely to go there at this point in time. It's basically a random guess at this point, whereas the other two spots have at least some basis for making an educated guess. 

6 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

I'm assuming there must be a reason you clearly have a bias against him because you can't even decide what your problem is with him. He can't hit. No, we need a shortstop. Nah, it's that no one else made a major league offer. It's really strange and kinda creepy how fixated you are with him not being on the roster.

Like I've said I just like other options. There you go again with that 3rd grade kind of creepy fixation. Just my opinion, nothing more. 

4 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

I keep Velazquez for late inn defense at SS. Since halos really do not have a legit SS. Velazquez is getting looks in CF gives him versatility. 

Yuck. If you need late game defense, put Fletcher at SS. Simple as that. Velazquez has no offensive value and his defensive value is matched by Fletcher. You can shuffle guys around as needed--Urshela can play 1B/3B/SS, Drury 2B/SS/1B/OF, Walsh 1B/OF, Fletcher SS/2B/OF, Rengifo 2B/SS/3B/OF. You don't need Velazquez at all. 

10 hours ago, Trendon said:

Outside of unforeseen injuries creating unforeseen needs, I think Spring Training “competitions” are over blown.

Teams are gonna ignore years of data because of a month’s worth of sample size against varying competition? I doubt it.

Tell me more about how “years of data” helps make it clear who will be more effective in 2023 between Thaiss, Stassi and O’Hoppe? Or Walsh vs Lamb? 

3 hours ago, ShotimeDynasty said:

Tell me more about how “years of data” helps make it clear who will be more effective in 2023 between Thaiss, Stassi and O’Hoppe? Or Walsh vs Lamb? 

Every team uses an internal projection system, and those systems utilize players’ stats from previous seasons.

Those sample sizes over the course of major and minor league seasons are more instructive than the small sample size of one Spring Training where a player gets no more than 50-60 plate appearances.

5 hours ago, Trendon said:

Every team uses an internal projection system, and those systems utilize players’ stats from previous seasons.

Those sample sizes over the course of major and minor league seasons are more instructive than the small sample size of one Spring Training where a player gets no more than 50-60 plate appearances.

Player stats from previous seasons.. like Walsh’s 1 month in 2020 when he had a 14% K rate? Or his volatile 2021? Or his injured 2022 stats? How to know which sample to rely upon if not closely evaluating his performance this ST. How about Stassi? Relying on his great 2020-21 stats or his abysmal 2022? Thaiss as he acclimates to the most difficult position on the field? His AAA stats from 2022 are to be relied upon? Or his MLB stats when he wasn’t a catcher? 

27 minutes ago, ShotimeDynasty said:

Player stats from previous seasons.. like Walsh’s 1 month in 2020 when he had a 14% K rate? Or his volatile 2021? Or his injured 2022 stats? How to know which sample to rely upon if not closely evaluating his performance this ST. How about Stassi? Relying on his great 2020-21 stats or his abysmal 2022? Thaiss as he acclimates to the most difficult position on the field? His AAA stats from 2022 are to be relied upon? Or his MLB stats when he wasn’t a catcher? 

I don't know what the Angels internal projection system does or doesn't use, as it's obviously proprietary.

My point is that, even if they weigh ST stats the same as regular season stats, ST stats are a much smaller sample 

2 hours ago, Trendon said:

I don't know what the Angels internal projection system does or doesn't use, as it's obviously proprietary.

My point is that, even if they weigh ST stats the same as regular season stats, ST stats are a much smaller sample 

Understood. But there are certain instances where this approach can’t really be applied and those are the positions that are still “up for grabs” (Catcher, shortstop, and first base) to varying degrees 

25 minutes ago, ShotimeDynasty said:

Understood. But there are certain instances where this approach can’t really be applied and those are the positions that are still “up for grabs” (Catcher, shortstop, and first base) to varying degrees 

I don’t think 1B is up for grabs. It’s Walsh vs. RHP and Drury or Urshela vs. LHP.

We know who’ll be in the mix for SS. I guess ST could help determine the primary SS, but that’d be based on defense. If Urshela or Rengifo look good defensively at SS, their offense is superior to Fletcher’s.

C is the tough one. Could go either way between Thaiss and O’Hoppe.

13 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I don’t think 1B is up for grabs. It’s Walsh vs. RHP and Drury or Urshela vs. LHP.

We know who’ll be in the mix for SS. I guess ST could help determine the primary SS, but that’d be based on defense. If Urshela or Rengifo look good defensively at SS, their offense is superior to Fletcher’s.

C is the tough one. Could go either way between Thaiss and O’Hoppe.

Yeah, shortstop and first base are not really up for grabs. The guys who will be on the roster are already decided. The only question is how much each will play. That's not an Opening Day decision, though. 

With the play of Jake Lamb and Matt Thaiss I wonder if they’ll DFA Velazquez to make room for Lamb or Thaiss. Even then I don’t know if there’s room on the 26 man roster for either/both.  

Stassi, O’Hoppe, Thaiss

Walsh, Lamb, 

Fletcher, Drury

Rengifo

Rendon, Urshela 

Ward, Trout, Renfroe, Phillips

I just don’t see them going with only 12 pitchers. If they are saying the best players are making the team I could see Thaiss starting with the club with O’Hoppe in AA.  I could see a Velazquez dfa to make room for Lamb. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

With the play of Jake Lamb and Matt Thaiss I wonder if they’ll DFA Velazquez to make room for Lamb or Thaiss. Even then I don’t know if there’s room on the 26 man roster for either/both.  

Stassi, O’Hoppe, Thaiss

Walsh, Lamb, 

Fletcher, Drury

Rengifo

Rendon, Urshela 

I just don’t see them going with only 12 pitchers. If they are saying the best players are making the team I could see Thaiss starting with the club with O’Hoppe in AA.  I could see a Velazquez dfa to make room for Lamb. 

Walsh and Lamb both hit LH. You do not need 2 LH 1B on team.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Stassi, O’Hoppe, Thaiss

Walsh, Lamb, 

Fletcher, Drury

Rengifo

Rendon, Urshela 

I would be surprised if they DFA Velaquez....the OF appearances this spring may tell you they like him as a utility guy, even if his offense is sub par....I would think O'Hoppe starts in AAA....he doesn't have anything to prove in AA.....

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

Unless he’s making the Opening Day roster, there’s no reason to add Lamb to the 40-man. Lamb has no options, so he needs to be in the majors once he’s on the 40-man

I do agree with you on Thaiss/O’Hoppe. I’m pretty sure Thaiss would get claimed on waivers, so keeping Thaiss up and sending O’Hoppe down would allow them to keep more depth at catcher.