• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2023 26-Man Roster (Updated 2/16)

Angelsjunky

On 2/4/2023 at 12:36 PM, Angelsjunky said:

I'm hoping that means they're going to assess what Joyce needs to work on and how close to major league ready he is, but that he'll still be assigned to the minors, at least for the first two or three months. 

Yeah, I'm thinking he'll start the season in AA with the Pandas.

On 11/8/2022 at 2:55 PM, Angelsjunky said:

As with last year, I'll be updating this as the offseason commences (can a moderator sticky this?)

To start, I'm including everyone on the 40-man roster, plus most guys that could conceivably either make the 26-man roster on Opening Day and/or start in the high minors and be called up within the first month or two. Obviously some of these guys are dubious and many won't see the major league team. But to start, best to take a big umbrella approach. Anyone I'm missing?

image.png

So: add Moore and move Daniel to the IL.

I don't see room for Soto or Velazquez on the active roster, as of now.

Canning and Rodriguez could probably join Davidson and Silseth as possible players.

If Barria is the 6th SP, then there are two open bullpen spots (assuming Wantz's spot isn't guaranteed).

If Barria is an RP, then there's one open SP spot and one open RP spot.

• Angelsjunky changed the title to 2023 26-Man Roster (Updated 2/16)

So by my accounting, barring spring injuries, that's 23 slots that are locks. We're just waiting on:

- 2nd catcher (probably O'Hoppe or Thaiss, maybe Godoy or Wallach)

- 6th starter/swingman (Who knows; it could also be Barria with two more relievers) Davidson

- 8th reliever (see above)

So those are the spring training decisions to be made, and the remaining positional battles.

I suppose, also, that we're waiting on final starting shortstop. But it seems Rengifo is slotted for the bulk of starts, with Urshela and Fletcher being the utility players who will get plenty of time.

7 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

- 6th starter/swingman (Who knows; it could also be Barria with two more relievers) Davidson

I think the decision on the 6th starter/swingman is more dependent on how other candidates fare than how Barría fares.

If Canning, Davidson, Rodriguez, or Silseth earn the spot,  I think Barría gets pushed to the pen. If they don’t, Barría gets it and they pick two relievers from the large candidate pool.

9 hours ago, Trendon said:

I think the decision on the 6th starter/swingman is more dependent on how other candidates fare than how Barría fares.

If Canning, Davidson, Rodriguez, or Silseth earn the spot,  I think Barría gets pushed to the pen. If they don’t, Barría gets it and they pick two relievers from the large candidate pool.

Yup. Barria is sort of the default option, along with Davidson. Furthermore, either one would just be a place-holder for a few starts until one of the other three are ready. I'm not sure when a 6th starter is first needed, but it could be by that time, they feel like young of the higher upside guys is ready. But I imagine Barria/Davidson could get a start or three first, just to get the other guys several starts in the minors.

• 4 weeks later...

So, halfway through ST games, and with another two weeks to go, the locks for Opening Day (assuming health) remain unchanged. Moniak has been good, but he's not bumping any of the starters, and it makes no sense to have him up just to sit, so Philips remains a lock. The questions to be answered are: Backup catcher, #6 starter, and last spot in the pen.

Catcher: Hard to be sure, but if it is a competition based on hitting, Thaiss appears to be winning. Given their contract statuses, I'd assume they'll be content to give O'Hoppe more time in the minors unless they'd basically already made the decision before Spring Training. 

Starter: Canning has looked good, but Davidson has pitched well enough that they either have to give him the job or trade him. Since Canning has an option and injuries are inevitable, it looks like, barring injuries on the roster, Davidson will be the guy. 

Reliever: This one is really tough. Joyce has been good, but he's not on the 40 man roster, and that may matter to them. Others have looked solid enough. We probably won't really have much insight on this one until they announce it. 

If I was predicting today, I'd say Thaiss, Davidson, and Joyce take the last three spots, but who knows. 

30 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

I keep Velazquez for late inn defense at SS. Since halos really do not have a legit SS. Velazquez is getting looks in CF gives him versatility. 

Who in the graphic in the OP do you remove for him?

1 minute ago, mmc said:

4th 5th 6th 7th OF Rengifo, Walsh, Fletcher and Velazquez. Without a legit SS on team late inn for defense put in Velazquez. Phillips gets let go in my OPINION.

1 minute ago, mmc said:

14 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

4th 5th 6th 7th OF Rengifo, Walsh, Fletcher and Velazquez. Without a legit SS on team late inn for defense put in Velazquez. Phillips gets let go in my OPINION.

Despite your bizarre hate-on for Phillips, this isn't happening. Go check Fletcher's defensive numbers last year vs. Velazquez. They aren't dumping Phillips for a mild (at best) improvement at shortstop defense vs a severe downgrade at outfield defense.

Velazquez is only mildly faster than Phillips and is not a better hitter. 

Your arbitrary bias against Phillips is funny, but not remotely logical. First it was, "Moniak is a better hitter". Now it's, "We need Velazquez for defense".  What did he do, sleep with your sister? 😂😂😂