• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2023 26-Man Roster (Updated 2/16)

Angelsjunky

I think it will be tough for Thaiss to make the team. They don't need him as a backup at 1B or 3B because of their added depth this offseason. So unless he separates himself in Spring Training, or there is a service time reason for O'Hoppe to start in SLC, Thaiss won't have a spot.

My question was about Godoy? Didn't know of him. His numbers are not very impressive. Is it a defensive thing? Another service time thing?

On 12/9/2022 at 4:28 PM, Trendon said:

The terrible idea is handing the 4th OF job to incompetent MLB players. Sure, Adell and Moniak have potential, but you can't rely on "potential," as we've seen with Jo Adell in the last three seasons.

You don't need a "top tier guy to accept a backup role." You sign someone who'll take a platoon/backup role for $2-$3 million.

and what happens if an infielder is injured and Urshela is needed in the infield and you can't move anyone from the infield to the outfield?

platoon and role players are getting 3-4x that amount, no one is signing for $2-$3m that is better than those guys you mentioned

4 hours ago, IheartLA said:

platoon and role players are getting 3-4x that amount, no one is signing for $2-$3m that is better than those guys you mentioned

This is why I think we'll probably roll with what we have.  Moniak will likely get the first shot, but if he still doesn't look like a viable option, I'm thinking it'll either be Barrera or we'll just use our positional versatility (Walsh, Rengifo) to cover the corner OF spots, with Ward backing up CF.

6 hours ago, IheartLA said:

Rafael Ortega, who had a 96 wRC+ and and 0.7 fWAR in 371 PA’s last season, just signed a minor league deal with the Yankees.

If he’s signing a minor league deal despite that near league-average production, they can get someone near league-average for $2-$3M.

And where are getting this idea that platoon and role players are getting 3-4x that amount? The only real platoon/role outfield who has signed is Jordan Luplow, who signed for $1.4M.

The only other outfielders who’ve signed MLB deals— Bellinger, Benintendi, Brantley, Conforto, Gallo, Haniger, Judge, Kiermaier, Myers, Nimmo, Pederson, and Yoshida— are all everyday players.

9 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

Godoy is my bet for the 2nd catcher.  

I think Silseth is the front runner for the 6th spot right now and if he does make the team out of spring I bet they use him to split up the other lefties and use Suarez out of the pen for the first couple weeks while the starters ramp up and the need for a 6th starter arises. 

Or they could go with 5 starters to kick off the year and keep an extra pen arm out of the gate.  They might keep that extra arm anyway and go with a 3 guy bench.   

They max amount of pitchers they’re allowed to have is 13, so they can’t carry an extra pitcher and go with a 3 man bench.

Ohtani can count as a position player, but that gets offset by the Angels using a roster spot on a 6th starter.

1 hour ago, TempeAngel said:

They can carry 13 plus Ohtani, who is designated as a two way player. Right?

Yes, but the extra pitcher spot by Ohtani counting as a two-way player (and not a pitcher) essentially gets cancelled out since they use a 6-man rotation.

4 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Yes, but the extra pitcher spot by Ohtani counting as a two-way player (and not a pitcher) essentially gets cancelled out since they use a 6-man rotation.

Yes and no.  If they opt for the "calling up and optioning" technique with their 6th SP, they can perhaps work around that for parts of the season.  There are limits now in terms of how many times someone can be optioned, but there is certainly some opportunity to use this approach if we don't end up acquiring a 6th SP and instead go with Silseth/Canning/etc.

• Angelsjunky changed the title to 2023 26-Man Roster (Updated 1/8)
2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Finally updated it. The excess (blue) pitching lists are getting excessive...I suppose we can trim them a bit in spring training.

Might want to re-post the screenshot, lol.

On 11/8/2022 at 2:55 PM, Angelsjunky said:

image.png

As far as trimming the excess pitching list, you can probably eliminate some of the AA guys and the guys who’ve struggled at AAA.

I’d say it’s a stretch for any of the following players to make the roster:

Crow, Kerry, Smith, Lee, Bachman, Erla, Pina, Murphy, Torres, Joyce, Dashwood, and Hernandez.

Just now, Trendon said:

And with Phillips in the fold, I think you can safely remove Teodosio from the chart for now (since he struggled to hit in AA and is behind a wealth of AAA options).

Also, add Luis Barrera, who signed a minor league deal.

Barrera is there, though I'd move him into blue tier with this signing

On 1/9/2023 at 12:15 AM, Trendon said:

Might want to re-post the screenshot, lol.

As far as trimming the excess pitching list, you can probably eliminate some of the AA guys and the guys who’ve struggled at AAA.

I’d say it’s a stretch for any of the following players to make the roster:

Crow, Kerry, Smith, Lee, Bachman, Erla, Pina, Murphy, Torres, Joyce, Dashwood, and Hernandez.

Yeah, I hear you. The blue is also meant to represent guys who have a good chance of being called up in the season, though. Meaning, 'extended bench.' All or most of those guys fit that category.

So I'm going to add Phillips to dark red - I think he's almost certainly the Opening Day 4th outfielder, with Barrera next in line in AAA, followed by Moniak and Adell.

Warren is DFAed, but presumably still in the org - at least for now. So he goes back to blue until we hear otherwise, but who gets the last RP slot? Obviously we won't know for certain until ST...maybe the Angels are leaving it open as a placeholder for someone like C Rod, or maybe one of the minor league relievers. But for now, I see Estevev, Herget, Quijada, Tepea, Loup, Wantz, Barria, and...?

What else?