• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

41 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Not really "Hot Stove" but I didn't want to waste space with a thread of it's own.  But the following is a tweet thread from TB Rays pitcher Ryan Thompson about his arbitration experience.  He's god a few other comments on his main page.  Anyway, some of you may like to see the players POV.  Old friend Cam Bedrosian was one of the comps brought up in the process.

that seems a bit petty by the rays. wow.

28 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

He would have been nice depth piece for halos

Phillips is 6.5 years younger than Calhoun, has hit 18 HRs in past 517 PAs back to 2021, and has solid base running skills (21 for 24 SBs since 2021).

if Ward’s hitting tutor did improve Phillips’ hitting, then he’s a much better alternative to the mid 30s Calhoun.

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Phillips is 6.5 years younger than Calhoun, has hit 18 HRs in past 517 PAs back to 2021, and has solid base running skills (21 for 24 SBs since 2021).

if Ward’s hitting tutor did improve Phillips’ hitting, then he’s a much better alternative to the mid 30s Calhoun.

Phillips is 4th OF I was saying in minors in case of injury. Last 2 years Trout and Ward have missed a lot of time. Phillips they have to play CF to give Trout rest, Phillips does have a very high K rate.

7 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Phillips is 4th OF I was saying in minors in case of injury. Last 2 years Trout and Ward have missed a lot of time. Phillips they have to play CF to give Trout rest, Phillips does have a very high K rate.

Would rather play Phillips. Better defense and I don't think he gives up anything in offense. Kole just isn't particularly good at this point. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

That's what I got from Tank's response. 

i don't know a thing about thompson, but i saw two "stats" i'd never heard of before: leverage index and meltdowns. admittedly, i don't pay a lot of attention to advanced metrics, but it seems to me that the team is using a couple of categories that are rather obscure to avoid paying a few more bucks to someone that apparently want to keep. that comes off as petty to me.

10 minutes ago, Tank said:

i don't know a thing about thompson, but i saw two "stats" i'd never heard of before: leverage index and meltdowns. admittedly, i don't pay a lot of attention to advanced metrics, but it seems to me that the team is using a couple of categories that are rather obscure to avoid paying a few more bucks to someone that apparently want to keep. that comes off as petty to me.

Thompson's mistake was not showing his Grit index. Rookie mistake in arbitration, I don't think he'll make it again next time. 

5 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Thompson's mistake was not showing his Grit index. Rookie mistake in arbitration, I don't think he'll make it again next time. 

he needs to go to his next arbitration hearing with grass stains and dirt on his uniform. that should seal the deal.

4 hours ago, Revad said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/02/padres-manny-machado-finalizing-extension.html

Arte needs to spend more time in San Diego, smoke a little of what Peter Seidler is smoking.

Wait… Manny went to the media to say it was his last year in San Diego, whipped people into a frenzy, then signed an 11 year extension?

Sounds like “How to get a contract extension in 1 easy step.”

25 minutes ago, PattyD22 said:

Wait… Manny went to the media to say it was his last year in San Diego, whipped people into a frenzy, then signed an 11 year extension?

That’s what happened.  I’m finding it hard to believe but $35 million is going price for a star nowadays, for 10 years and ending at age 40 or so.  

33 minutes ago, PattyD22 said:

there's no such thing as bad publicity. he worked the system well.