• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

10 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

How much is the Padres ownership worth?

$3B - as a guy who made his money in private equity, I don't think he doesn't have a plan, financially speaking.  The team is losing money, but I don't think he has any concerns over that.

With Soto being a free agent after this season, keeping him *and* signing Ohtani seems like a fantasy - if I were Seiler, extending Soto is a greater priority than pursuing Ohtani.

Just now, DCAngelsFan said:

$3B - as a guy who made his money in private equity, I don't think he doesn't have a plan, financially speaking.  The team is losing money, but I don't think he has any concerns over that.

With Soto being a free agent after this season, keeping him *and* signing Ohtani seems like a fantasy - if I were Seiler, extending Soto is a greater priority than pursuing Ohtani.

That’s less than Arte Moreno’s net worth.

3 minutes ago, DCAngelsFan said:

I guess the Padres are all in and they have an advantage negotiating with Soto as a current player, plus they traded some good prospects for him.  I think I’d have to focus on Soto.

“This will add another hefty salary to the long-term books of a San Diego club that has become surprisingly aggressive in recent years. They had never been among the game’s biggest spenders but have changed that reputation recently. In addition to Machado’s contract, they also gave out big deals to Eric HosmerFernando Tatis Jr.Joe MusgroveYu Darvish and others. The exact breakdown of Machado’s deal isn’t yet known, but these hefty and lengthy deals mean that the club will have something in the vicinity of $100MM on the books for 2028 already.”

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/02/padres-manny-machado-finalizing-extension.html

Still think 11 years/$350 million is a somewhat overpay for a 30 year-old who has never put up monster stats.

Only twice has he exceeded a .905 OPS, and never reached 1.000.

He does stay healthy, and if not a monster hitter is a consistent hitter.

Edited by Angel Oracle

11 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Still think 11 years/$350 million is a somewhat overpay for a 30 year-old who has never put up monster stats.

Only twice has he exceeded a .905 OPS, and never reached 1.000.

He does stay healthy, and if not a monster hitter is a consistent hitter.

On the other hand, if Soto is going to test the market and the Padres don’t like their chances with Ohtani I guess I can see it.  Definitely an overpay IMO.

34 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

That’s less than Arte Moreno’s net worth.

That's not counting the value of the Padres, and his firm is a going concern and he (presumably) gets income from that.

I don't know how much income Arte is making - much of his net worth seems to be tied up in the Angels and in those financial papers leaked years ago, he was drawing income out of the Angels suggesting he needs the cash draw to fuel his yacht 🙂

1 hour ago, DCAngelsFan said:

Soto is a free agent after 2024.

15 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

20 of the 41 players from the 2019 draft saw time in the majors in 2022.  Which is pretty much the timeline he's talking about.  

Detmers saw time in 2021 after 62 pro innings.  Is he  or those above generational players?

You also conveniently left out the difference between college and HS draftees.  

Neto is 22 and would be 23 if he got to the bigs next year.  Trout was a month shy of his 20th Bday.  

Doc,

He induced the comment stating that Soto and Neto were the same age. One was signed by the Braves as a kid and one was a College Athlete... So?

9 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

correct he was 19 when he first came up...  he was drafted at 17, 18, 19 played 40 games + 135 at bats. HE then went back down in 2012 and started the season in AAA came up to stay after 20 games in  2012. 

So then he didn’t play five seasons in the minors like you said, got it. 

39 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Sorry didn’t realize he turned into a starter…oh wait…he didn’t. 

Uh, have you seen how many lefty relievers we have who are already locks? Bullpen would be like 50% lefties on top of 4/5 of the guys who are locks for the rotation. If we're going to add someone else, it doesn't make sense to add another lefty.

Clevenger will not be punished by mlb. She lied.

MLB’s statement: “The comprehensive investigation included interviews of more than 15 individuals, in addition to Mr. Clevinger and the complainant, as well as a review of available documents, such as thousands of electronic communication records.  The Office of the Commissioner has closed this investigation and, barring the receipt of any new information or evidence, the Office of the Commissioner will not be imposing discipline on Mr. Clevinger in connection with these allegations.