• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels fire Joe Maddon, name Phil Nevin interim manager

mmc

There was some talk about Maddon “losing some of the clubhouse.”

Nevin was reportedly quite the opposite of Maddon (from articles when they hired him) so maybe the clubhouse ended up a a little split and basically chose Nevin?

It also would not be far-fetched to think that when they brought in Nevin as a coach, they had an eye on him being the next manager with Maddon’s contract expiring.

Edited by Dtwncbad

I doubt firing Maddon cures all the ills, but he certainly wasn’t helping anything at this point. Biggest plus I can find in this is that I don’t think Maddon was coming back after the season (unless they went deep in the playoffs and they’ve played themselves into a corner on that one) so let’s make the change now and get moving toward the future. A little frustrated that it’s Nevin instead of a definite “Perry guy” but maybe he’s thinks more of Nevin as a manager than I’m aware?

No more excuses for Perry now moving forward. This is his roster, and the next manager will be HIS guy. I do like how quickly he makes decisions(DFA Pujols and Upton, Maddon firing), but clearly the results are not there so far. If his next manager doesn't steer this team back to the playoffs, this org will be looking for its 4th GM and 5th manager within the next couple seasons

1 hour ago, nando714 said:

Lol sosh managed this team for like 8 straight losing seasons and managed to survive. 

time to put Ohtani on the block . No way he resigns 

They have him for this season and next so, if he won't resign, you can trade him next deadline or in the offseason for almost what he'd cost now. No reason to jump.

59 minutes ago, nando714 said:

Lol sosh managed this team for like 8 straight losing seasons and managed to survive. 

time to put Ohtani on the block . No way he resigns 

Three.  Thats how many "straight losing seasons" they endured under MS, and in two of those seasons they went 80-82.   Even better, it took him 11 seasons to see a loss streak of more than 6 games.

How does Mike Scioscia have ANY relevance at all to anything that is going on right now?

I really don’t get the constant reference of MS.

Its like being at Thanksgiving dinner talking about beautiful women in movies today and your old uncle just keeps muttering “Carol Alt was hot.”

I am also going to have to say I really like the pattern of this team being willing to make a bold move.  I think it is heathy in sports for everyone to feel like their job is on the line.  Pujols.  Upton.  Maddon.

Onviously I am not talking about being abusive and toxic.  I am talking about a setting and maintaining a culture that says don’t get too comfortable. Your performance matters more than your contract or (fill in the blank).

We should want a team that is incessantly driven to win.  Accountability and a willingness to shift directions is normally part of that rather than being paralyzed by other factors.

Edited by Dtwncbad