• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels fire Joe Maddon, name Phil Nevin interim manager

mmc

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

The spin starts....   Or maybe this is an indication that there was some sort of refusal to use the pieces as they were intended.  This is Maddon going on record as to "alignments" between himself and the front office.

I don’t think Eppler was the main mover behind hiring Maddon, Arte was….and Minasian inherited him…so Maddon probably isn’t wrong when he says that…any owner should be involved in organizational decisions but if the owner is more of the mover and shaker than the baseball people on player (Pujols, Rendon) and manager (Maddon) decisions, a disconnect seems pretty inevitable…

4 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

The spin starts....   Or maybe this is an indication that there was some sort of refusal to use the pieces as they were intended.  This is Maddon going on record as to "alignments" between himself and the front office.

that is an interesting quote.

33 minutes ago, ukyah said:

that is an interesting quote.

It's vague AF and then Fletcher's tweet basically has him saying there was no such disconnect... but still he's quoted as saying "Next time"..  Reads an awful lot like the stuff he said when he left Chicago.

It's all very weird and Im sure we won't hear the real story for years.   

Despite being one of the stat guys on this forum, I kind of agree with Maddon - at least from an aesthetics point of view. Data analysis and sabermetrics led to Three True Outcomes baseball, the decline of the stolen base and slap hitters, and probably a reduction in innings pitched by starters -- all things that have diminished the experience of watching the game, imo.

Some of the most exciting players of my youth were Rickey Henderson and Tim Raines. Vince Coleman was a lousy hitter, but as soon as he got on base, the game got more exciting. And you had guys like Eric Davis hitting 27 HR and 80 SB one year, and 37 HR and 50 SB the next. And then there was the "30-30 craze," and then a couple guys with 40-40, first Canseco then A-Rod. We still see 30-30 seasons, but not as much.

3 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Despite being one of the stat guys on this forum, I kind of agree with Maddon - at least from an aesthetics point of view. Data analysis and sabermetrics led to Three True Outcomes baseball, the decline of the stolen base and slap hitters, and probably a reduction in innings pitched by starters -- all things that have diminished the experience of watching the game, imo.

Some of the most exciting players of my youth were Rickey Henderson and Tim Raines. Vince Coleman was a lousy hitter, but as soon as he got on base, the game got more exciting. And you had guys like Eric Davis hitting 27 HR and 80 SB one year, and 37 HR and 50 SB the next. And then there was the "30-30 craze," and then a couple guys with 40-40, first Canseco then A-Rod. We still see 30-30 seasons, but not as much.

with all of the new stats of the last 20 years, it's been tough for me to know what to pay attention to and what to disregard. i imagine the amount of data available for a manager must be even more overwhelming than how some of us feel wading through the plethora of information that's out there. how do you know what to focus on and what to ignore? i imagine it's even tougher if you're an older guy, like some of us.

Edited by Tank

1 minute ago, Tank said:

with all of the new stats of the last 20 years, it's been tough for me to know what to pay attention and what to disregard. i imagine the amount of data available for a manager must be even more overwhelming that how some of us feel wading through the plethora of information that's out there. how do you what to focus on and what to ignore? i imagine it's even tougher if you're an older guy, like some of us.

BABIP 

2 hours ago, True Grich said:

You also miss rotary phones.

I actually kind of do, but then again, I write with (and collect, a bit) fountain pens, listen to vinyl records on occasion, and bake my own bread from scratch (among other things). Oh, and like natural chunk peanut butter, right @Lou?

21 minutes ago, Tank said:

with all of the new stats of the last 20 years, it's been tough for me to know what to pay attention to and what to disregard. i imagine the amount of data available for a manager must be even more overwhelming than how some of us feel wading through the plethora of information that's out there. how do you know what to focus on and what to ignore? i imagine it's even tougher if you're an older guy, like some of us.

Yes, I agree. But a manager is like the POTUS, in that the best thing they can possibly do is not try to know everything, but have a good group of people you can trust (not that we've ever had a good president, but that's beside the point). 

Meaning, Maddon doesn't need to understand the analytics. He just needs to have a good team that he knows he can trust, and listen to what they have to say (e.g. Unless you're facing peak Barry Bonds on a hot streak, you don't walk the batter with the bases loaded).

4 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I actually kind of do, but then again, I write with (and collect, a bit) fountain pens, listen to vinyl records on occasion, and bake my own bread from scratch (among other things). Oh, and like natural chunk peanut butter, right @Lou?

The only thing I got out of that is that you enjoy picking crap out of your teeth.