• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

Movie:  Joker.  This was one complicated movie.  Very dark.  A very non traditional comicbook movie.  If you are looking for a action packed movie, then you will be disappointed.  This movie deals more with the development and storyline of the Joker character.  And it's kind of a drawn out process, that really takes about 3/4 of the movie to develop.  Overall, I enjoyed it, and probably rank it behind the Nolan trilogy in the DC world.  I don't think that this one is a must for the theaters, as it's not full of special effects and action that would detract at home.  But definitely worth a watch at home or theater.  Also, probably not a good movie for kids.  I don't think that they would enjoy it, as it's more development, than pure entertainment.  Also the subject matter about insanity is pretty depressing.  But Joaquin Phoenix was phenomenal.  I'd say my favorite portrayal of the Joker character.  

But here are the main gripes I had about the movie:

Spoiler

First.  Geeze another reboot of the Batman story.  We get it.  Joker and Batman.  But sometimes, it's best to let a character develop alone.  Personally, I don't think they needed the Wayne character at all in this movie.  If they had to, they could have gotten away with having a minimal appearance of Thomas Wayne and gotten away with it, with no Bruce.  Second, this movie would have played well as a prequel to the Nolan series.  But no, they had to change things.  Okay, we get it, the Waynes get murdered and Bruce is left all alone and becomes Batman.  Don't need the same exact story told different ways in pretty much every single Batman and spinoff series.  

1 minute ago, Redondo said:

Watching Blacklist now

Then Peaky Blinders

Are you just starting Peaky Blinders or set to watch the latest season? 

Re:Blacklist   I went back and watched the pilot episode last week. I've liked this show from the start 

23 hours ago, Taylor said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Okay, I disagree with a lot of that. 

Spoiler

Story line was slow and ponderous.

The shootout on the moon was ridiculously forced and pointless. 

The concept of forced entry on a ship launching was just silly. Sorry, too many years growing up in an aerospace home to know that just isn't happening.

The conflict aboard was over the top for no reason other than knocking down a storyline barrier.

Even if the crew accepted his forced entry the mission would have to be aborted because of a lack of resources to maintain another human life for the duration of the trip. They only packed food and water for three.

Weight is all important in space travel and every kilogram has to be accounted for so one more body means they don't complete their mission. 

Time. The expanse between the moon and their destination is counted in decades. 

So, yeah, it fell way short in credibility. 

But other than that...

9 hours ago, Lou said:

Are you just starting Peaky Blinders or set to watch the latest season? 

Re:Blacklist   I went back and watched the pilot episode last week. I've liked this show from the start 

Latest season. Wife and I both really like PB.

What's not to like about Tommy Shelby?

13 minutes ago, Redondo said:

No somehow I have missed it.

that surprises me. I think you'll like it.

11 minutes ago, Redondo said:

Latest season. Wife and I both really like PB.

What's not to like about Tommy Shelby?

nothing at all! such a great character. Alfie Solomons was another of my favorites.

14 hours ago, Blarg said:

Okay, I disagree with a lot of that. 

Hide contents

Story line was slow and ponderous.

The shootout on the moon was ridiculously forced and pointless. 

The concept of forced entry on a ship launching was just silly. Sorry, too many years growing up in an aerospace home to know that just isn't happening.

The conflict aboard was over the top for no reason other than knocking down a storyline barrier.

Even if the crew accepted his forced entry the mission would have to be aborted because of a lack of resources to maintain another human life for the duration of the trip. They only packed food and water for three.

Weight is all important in space travel and every kilogram has to be accounted for so one more body means they don't complete their mission. 

Time. The expanse between the moon and their destination is counted in decades. 

So, yeah, it fell way short in credibility. 

But other than that...

Every SciFi movie or show takes creative liberties with realism. I was able to look past this stuff.

The story being slow and ponderous is subjective. I thought it was paced well. It's not a Michael Bay or Avengers movie. It was more like a character study with deep-space exploration as the backdrop, and I found that enjoyable.

On 10/11/2019 at 3:39 PM, Taylor said:

Joker was really good. It wasn't perfect, but it was very solid for what it set out to do. Joaquin Phoenix was phenomenal.

Hide contents

I didn't like the on-the-nose scenes with child Bruce Wayne. We didn't need to see another Batman origin story baked in to this Joker origin story.

Saw it yesterday.  Last 5-10 minutes, I knew what it was gonna lead to.  Looper’s Youtube channel does a good analysis of the ending.