• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

Netflix:  Criminal  An interesting series by Netflix.  A crime drama about what happens in an interogation room, when they are questioning a suspect for up to 24 hours.  They have it in 4 parts, or countries.  Great Britain, Spain, Germany, and France.  Each country has it's own interogation team with different quirks.  But the interogation room and surrounding offices are the same set for each country.  I really tuned out on Spain, and their justice system seemed screwy.  But Great Britain, Germany, and France had some solid episodes.  All different types of crimes from the guilty to the innocent.  I think even Lou would like this one.

Just now, Lou said:

I do.

David Tennant is a great actor 

I started with the UK, and that episode.  That was a high bar.  Really good episode.  And I agree, after the episode I had to look him up since I knew he looked familiar.  He has a pretty good list of credits that I've seen him in.  Criminal-UK, Jessica Jones - Kilgrave, Good Omens - Devil, and Broadchurch.  

16 hours ago, gotbeer said:

I started with the UK, and that episode.  That was a high bar.  Really good episode.  And I agree, after the episode I had to look him up since I knew he looked familiar.  He has a pretty good list of credits that I've seen him in.  Criminal-UK, Jessica Jones - Kilgrave, Good Omens - Devil, and Broadchurch.  

Don't forget Doctor Who

Movie:  Ad Astra   This was a POS.  By far, the worst movie I saw this year, and that's really saying something.  It was all one tone.  Just think of Brad Pitt, in the dullest, straightforward, no emotion acting style, and that would be him in this movie.  On top of that, he brings that dull acting style to a narrative style through the whole movie.  Even the action scenes get muted by the lack of emotion.  It just seemed like the directing was just going through the motions of going to point a to b to c and not deviating from showing any creativity.  This is one where the audience gets it right in comparing the 83% fresh vs the 43% audience score.  Let's put it this way, the choice was between this and Rambo.  We picked wrong.  I couldn't even recommend this if it came out on cable.

4 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Movie:  Ad Astra   This was a POS.  By far, the worst movie I saw this year, and that's really saying something. We picked wrong.  I couldn't even recommend this if it came out on cable.

bummer. i was looking forward to seeing this one.

I had watched the first couple episodes of Peakey Blinders and walked away from it for a while, the accents and slow moving story line wasn't really catching my attention. Like the Wire, it's a slow burn that turns into a wildfire. 

The last 3 weeks I have binged through the series and I'm glad I gave it another run. It had a pretty good payoff and could either end it all with season 4 or move on and still have storylines worth continuing with.

5 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I had watched the first couple episodes of Peakey Blinders and walked away from it for a while, the accents and slow moving story line wasn't really catching my attention. Like the Wire, it's a slow burn that turns into a wildfire. 

The last 3 weeks I have binged through the series and I'm glad I gave it another run. It had a pretty good payoff and could either end it all with season 4 or move on and still have storylines worth continuing with.

I want to start this over this weekend. I was into it when it first came out but think I’ve missed the last two seasons. Each season is only six episodes. I might knock it out this weekend.

19 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Might have to give it another shot then.  I too only got to a few episodes before calling it in.

19 hours ago, Blarg said:

seeing how I've already watched season 5, I'm guessing they're not going to stop after the 4th season.

PS there will be a S6

18 hours ago, Blarg said:

Turn on the subtitles for the first few episodes so the accents don't leave your mind wandering and you can pick up the plot lines better. 

So true. I’m even big into the culture and my friends from there and had to rewind shit or throw on subtitles to see what was being said.

The crazy thing is they are from Midlands in the show which isn’t even close to as bad a Geordies in the Northeast.

On 10/1/2019 at 7:53 AM, gotbeer said:

Movie:  Ad Astra   This was a POS.  By far, the worst movie I saw this year, and that's really saying something.  It was all one tone.  Just think of Brad Pitt, in the dullest, straightforward, no emotion acting style, and that would be him in this movie.  On top of that, he brings that dull acting style to a narrative style through the whole movie.  Even the action scenes get muted by the lack of emotion.  It just seemed like the directing was just going through the motions of going to point a to b to c and not deviating from showing any creativity.  This is one where the audience gets it right in comparing the 83% fresh vs the 43% audience score.  Let's put it this way, the choice was between this and Rambo.  We picked wrong.  I couldn't even recommend this if it came out on cable.

Disagree 100%. It was a fantastic movie.

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

What did you think was its strong points? 

Spoiler

The acting was excellent. The cinematography was top-notch, as was the world bulding. I liked that the entire movie, rather than being about aliens, ended up being a character drama in deep space. People have called it boring, but I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. There was a mystery element that kept the story moving forward.

The only thing I didn't like was how the protagonist never had to face any consequences for being indirectly responsible for the crew's death. Even though it was accidental, it seems unlikely that NASA wouldn't have wanted to at least detain and question him when he returned to Earth.

Edited by Taylor