• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

At what point does the team need to seriously consider moving Ohtani?

mmc

At what point does the team need to seriously consider moving Ohtani?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. At what point does the team need to seriously consider moving Ohtani?

• This offseason
    • 2022 Trade Deadline (assuming we're out of it)
    • Next offseason
    • 2023 Trade Deadline (assuming we're out of it)
    • Never, let him hit the market if he won't agree on an extension

25 minutes ago, failos said:

It’s hard to trust the process when we’ve been hurt so many times. I’d say it was understandable to be skeptical of Ohtani after all his injuries.

FWIW, I was referring more to the view outside of Anaheim.

A lot of the talking heads pretty much punted on him as a two way guy when he came back from TJ, and stumbled.  When the talk of the knee injury surfaced again, media types talked up the toll his "trying" to be a two way player was having on him physically.  Angel fans mostly believed, you had one notable critic who believed the Angels had ruined him and that he would NEVER be a two way player but for the most part Angel fans still believed.

21 hours ago, floplag said:

IF things remain status quo for the next 1-2 years, you trade everyone as this team wont win again for a very long time if it cant or isnt willing to with this roster of players.

The thing I can't understand is why we're not able, year after year after year, to sign a couple of top starting pitchers to put us into playoff contention. It's the same story every off-season, like the movie Groundhog Day. We have the offense, we just need the pitching and we can't seem to ever obtain it.

If we lose Ohtani we're losing a great pitcher along with his great hitting. Then we're really in trouble. If he won't sign an extension we'd better trade him and get a good package in return.

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

If Trout and Ohtani end up pure historical legends of baseball. . . 

Would Angel fans prefer:

a). to have them as lifelong Angels and win no championships, or

b). trade them for other players if it means winning a World Series 

I'd rather the team continually contend, even if they don't win a WS in the next batch of years (before Trout retires).

36 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

The thing I can't understand is why we're not able, year after year after year, to sign a couple of top starting pitchers to put us into playoff contention. It's the same story every off-season, like the movie Groundhog Day. We have the offense, we just need the pitching and we can't seem to ever obtain it.

If we lose Ohtani we're losing a great pitcher along with his great hitting. Then we're really in trouble. If he won't sign an extension we'd better trade him and get a good package in return.

I think people are too focused on just starting pitching to be honest.
You dont need a group of aces to win.  Ive said this before but you need two of the following three, offense, starting pitching, and bullpen.
Weve been unable to sign or acquire the SP needed for whatever reasons and built a bullpen on clean peanuts, thats a recipe for mediocrity.
If we had put the effort into the pen when the SP options failed we would have done far better than just saying oh well we didnt get what we wanted.
We have a great crop of young SP, we need to invest in the bullpen. 

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

FWIW, I was referring more to the view outside of Anaheim.

A lot of the talking heads pretty much punted on him as a two way guy when he came back from TJ, and stumbled.  When the talk of the knee injury surfaced again, media types talked up the toll his "trying" to be a two way player was having on him physically.  Angel fans mostly believed, you had one notable critic who believed the Angels had ruined him and that he would NEVER be a two way player but for the most part Angel fans still believed.

Yep good points. I’ll never forget Kershsaw’s comments about Shohei. People just love shitting on this team

On 2/14/2022 at 2:57 PM, Stradling said:

As soon as he turns down our best offer then you consider trading him.  By the way he will sign an extension and I am not at all worried about retaining him.

I agree. Make sure the market is as high as possible if you want to trade him. I really hope they dont

3 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

If Trout and Ohtani end up pure historical legends of baseball. . . 

Would Angel fans prefer:

a). to have them as lifelong Angels and win no championships, or

b). trade them for other players if it means winning a World Series 

b, the franchise has been shit for so long I honestly really don't have a very strong attachment to either player despite them being great

If Ohtani were to be traded, how would the Angels come up with a price? The cost should be astronomical in prospect capital. How many teams can afford to pay the 400-500 million it would take to sign him to a long term contract? Then it would take a combo of top quality prospects and no payroll limit. IF Ohtani stays healthy and the Angels decide to re-sign him, I would hope that they front load the contract and not go over five years and 250 million. The club will be hamstrung by the big three contracts and a system that isn’t producing at a high enough level to fill the other positions.

It is always nice to have Superstars but I wiuld much rather have Tampa Bays organization, where there are high end players throughout the system.

Honestly, trade him now. we need way more than we will be willing to pay for. with a trade you can get a top tier starter, a position player (SS) and a bunch of near ready minor league arms. his value will never be higher. Do I want to do this? Absolutely not. But as others have mentioned, we are just going to float around 500 for the next few years. His salary and controllable years along with MVP and every other award, now would be the time to move him.

1 hour ago, 19HALO71 said:

Honestly, trade him now. we need way more than we will be willing to pay for. with a trade you can get a top tier starter, a position player (SS) and a bunch of near ready minor league arms. his value will never be higher. Do I want to do this? Absolutely not. But as others have mentioned, we are just going to float around 500 for the next few years. His salary and controllable years along with MVP and every other award, now would be the time to move him.

I agree with you if we can get this package now, but I'm not sure we can