• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022 PGA Tour thread

there are no majors on the LIV tour, and the format doesn't really accommodate a way to grow your legacy as a great player. there's a big difference between saying "you know, i won the boston LIV tournament in '22" vs. "i won at augusta or sawgrass in 21." 

i'm sorry to see cam smith leave. he was fun to watch and i think he would have had a big and fun impact on the pga tour. 

i'm surprised varner left as he was starting to play better and make more of a mark. he just recently won his first tournament. 

4 hours ago, Tank said:

there are no majors on the LIV tour, and the format doesn't really accommodate a way to grow your legacy as a great player. there's a big difference between saying "you know, i won the boston LIV tournament in '22" vs. "i won at augusta or sawgrass in 21." 

i'm sorry to see cam smith leave. he was fun to watch and i think he would have had a big and fun impact on the pga tour. 

i'm surprised varner left as he was starting to play better and make more of a mark. he just recently won his first tournament. 

I agree.  Hate to see a guy like Cam Smith take the money grab, but money is money.  I also liked Marc Leishman, but see ya, mate.  Enjoy.

The rest I could give 2 shits about.  Honestly.  I agree with you @Tank, I won the LIV Boston tournament…..yawn.  Cool, 17 people saw it.

As I said, money is money.

I still get a kick out of people caring what other adults choose to do.

If I worked at Walmart and you owned the Target across the street and approached me with a ridiculous guarantee and less work, guess what the what the fuck I'm doing? Also, guess what the fuck you're doing in the same position?

The people complaining about competition and playing the best week in and week out make it sound like they watch all four rounds of the Valero Open pulling for Keegan Bradley. Get the fuck out.

Also, the majors are independents (outside of the PGA, obviously), which is why you saw players at The Open......which also started to make a change to where they can play next year without issue.

That and the greed. I see all these comments about how the LIV players are greedy and it made me think, "Wait a minute...."

Part of the reason I got into golf was the Tiger Woods Effect that a lot of these younger golfers talk about as to why they started playing. The prize pools have gone up, but they always seemed disproportional to the income being generated as golf increased in popularity.

I feel like my assertion is correct because the immediate response after seeing players leaving in droves was to bump up the prize pools. Surprise, surprise.

It's like getting a job offer of $100k from your employer but them catching wind that the rival company offered you $125k, so they then make the offer $150k. My thought process every time I see this with real estate deals, car sales, or now, golf, etc. is, "So why didn't you do this in the first place?"

But let's talk about greed.....

19 hours ago, Tank said:

But the 4 majors are run outside of the PGA Tour.  Masters is members of the Augusta National GC.  US Open is USGA.  British Open is Royal and Ancient.  And PGA is not PGA Tour, but Professional Golfers of America.  IE the course pros.  So those legacy tournaments are still open.  Now if they close them to LIV, then you really got a collusion case against the PGA and the majors.  

4 hours ago, gotbeer said:

But the 4 majors are run outside of the PGA Tour.  Masters is members of the Augusta National GC.  US Open is USGA.  British Open is Royal and Ancient.  And PGA is not PGA Tour, but Professional Golfers of America.  IE the course pros.  So those legacy tournaments are still open.  Now if they close them to LIV, then you really got a collusion case against the PGA and the majors.  

a fair point, but we tend to associate those events with the PGA and R&A. There was discussion this year about whether or not to admit LIV players this year for a couple of the majors, and it certainly sounded like next year, those players would be SOL.

LIV doesn't have any majors at the moment, though that could certainly change. Would they be viewed or treated the same as the current majors are viewed/treated?

There's no Ryder Cup or President's Cup for these players, either. 

Right now, LIV has the look of something less than a professional league, but with a lot more money. 

54 minutes ago, Tank said:

a fair point, but we tend to associate those events with the PGA and R&A. There was discussion this year about whether or not to admit LIV players this year for a couple of the majors, and it certainly sounded like next year, those players would be SOL.

LIV doesn't have any majors at the moment, though that could certainly change. Would they be viewed or treated the same as the current majors are viewed/treated?

There's no Ryder Cup or President's Cup for these players, either. 

Right now, LIV has the look of something less than a professional league, but with a lot more money. 

But that's the thing.  I don't know if they can, or would risk it.  Remember that they don't just invite PGA pros.  DP world Tour, Asia Tour, Amateurs, etc get invited.  So if you say only LIV is not invited, even though they are top players, then the collusion angle comes into play.  And that could cost the majors everything.  

Ryder Cup and Presidents cup are run by PGA Tour.  So that's obvious that they aren't included.  But the way things are shaping up, every tournament for LIV can be an international match.  Especially with the team angle.  Team South Africa won match 1.  Team USA won match 2 and 3.  Really for the team aspect to grow, they should get rid of the team names and just go by country.  Just my opinion, but that would make the team aspect more interesting.  

3 hours ago, Tank said:

i wonder if anthony kim could join LIV and not get screwed by his medical insurance thing that's kept him off the pga tour.

Anthony Kim reveals reason behind quitting golf in first interview for 3 years

A Look at the Strange Disappearance of Former PGA Tour Phenom Anthony Kim

RUMOUR: ANTHONY KIM TO MAKE A SHOCK RETURN TO SAUDI GOLF LEAGUE?!

It's a weird story.  But if his insurance is only $10-20 million, the signing on LIV could negate that real easily.  It does make sense if he wants to try to make a comeback.  But over 10 years absent from competitive golf due to actual injuries is a real tall order.  

But the timing does seem right you would think.  

2 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Anthony Kim reveals reason behind quitting golf in first interview for 3 years

A Look at the Strange Disappearance of Former PGA Tour Phenom Anthony Kim

RUMOUR: ANTHONY KIM TO MAKE A SHOCK RETURN TO SAUDI GOLF LEAGUE?!

It's a weird story.  But if his insurance is only $10-20 million, the signing on LIV could negate that real easily.  It does make sense if he wants to try to make a comeback.  But over 10 years absent from competitive golf due to actual injuries is a real tall order.  

But the timing does seem right you would think.  

Yeah, this might be an out. The only variable is if he kept not playing for PI’s and what not. He was great when he played. I’d like to see him play again.

• 2 weeks later...