• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2022 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

44 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I've also been predicting the "Rengifo breakthrough" for a couple years now. He just seems like he should be a pretty good player. 

Yep.... That's it exactly.... Dude should be good but hasn't been.  He's done the predictive stuff that translates into future success and yet it hasn't materialized.  He's exactly the sort of guy I'm happy being wrong about because his minor league success has been built not on parks or things he really has no control over.  Just hasn't happened yet.

As far as Canning goes..  Its between his ears and the constant tinkering.  The tinkering is a byproduct of the lack of minor league seasoning IMO.  I think my take on him is similar to what I said previously about Adell, if people liked him based on his tools and the things he can physically do then they shouldn't let a poor performance over 60 games or in Canning's case, 60 innings change their view of him.

He can manufacture outs for himself.

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Rengifo though..   He still has time, but he's making me look like a dope.

same here.  I just can't believe it's not translating.  Something happens to his head when he comes to the bigs because in the minors he looks like the dynamic 'hit to all fields', speed/power guy with some solid defense whereas when he's up he seems like he's trying to yank everything for a hr and prove that he can leave the yard.  He's got one option year left and he's entering his age 25 season.   Guys with his skill and performance don't usually become outright failures in the bigs 

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

As far as Canning goes..  Its between his ears and the constant tinkering.  The tinkering is a byproduct of the lack of minor league seasoning IMO.  I think my take on him is similar to what I said previously about Adell, if people liked him based on his tools and the things he can physically do then they shouldn't let a poor performance over 60 games or in Canning's case, 60 innings change their view of him.

He can manufacture outs for himself.

My biggest concern with Canning is his health. He had the elbow issue in ST 2020 before the shutdown and then of course had season-ending surgery in 2021.

Like pretty much all Angels pitchers, he was initially rushed to the majors. Unlike others, though, he actually held his own from the start.

2021 was rough, and I'd imagine his injury had to play a major factor in that.

He's one of the most important Angels for 2022, imo. If he's healthy and pitching like the 2019/2020 Canning, that's a solid pitcher to have in your rotation and under team control. And that's before considering any type of growth from that level, which is certainly possible.

46 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

same here.  I just can't believe it's not translating.  Something happens to his head when he comes to the bigs because in the minors he looks like the dynamic 'hit to all fields', speed/power guy with some solid defense whereas when he's up he seems like he's trying to yank everything for a hr and prove that he can leave the yard.  He's got one option year left and he's entering his age 25 season.   Guys with his skill and performance don't usually become outright failures in the bigs 

2022 will pretty much be his last shot with the Angels. Unless they sign a Correa/Story or trade for a DeJong type, I'm pretty sure the SS job will be his to lose in ST.

His AAA performance (including a high BB% and low K%) indicates that a breakout should be on the horizon. And his 2019 season was pretty decent.

I think a lot of his underperformance in 2020 and 2021 has been due to multiple factors:

- If I recall correctly, he missed a decent chunk of Spring Training 2.0 because of COVID.

- The Angels played him at a position he never played before (RF) for a decent chunk of time when they recalled him from the majors. He had to try and hit while also learning a position he had no business playing at the time.

- And we found out last season that he has an arrest warrant out in another country and has had some legal/marital issues after a divorce.

Edit: oh, and also, he was nearly traded in 2020 in the Joc deal. It's possible that messed with his head.

On 1/6/2022 at 7:19 PM, Second Base said:

Well.... The good news is we know he can absolutely destroy 80 mph fastballs on the inner half when he knows they're coming. And he can hit against pitching talent equally as raw as he is. The bad news is, he's already a bad runner at age 15, but he has a rocket for an arm. 

Basically, I just described Kevin Maitan at age 15. 

Keep him away from the fast food.

On 1/11/2022 at 1:20 PM, Dochalo said:

@Inside Pitch @Angelsjunky I think some guys would just be better off if the team would leave them in and let them make the adjustments. Rengifo is a naturally gifted player, a lot like Aybar was in that he could succeed with minimal management. As soon as you try to change players like that, they tend to flounder. Like Aybar that one year he tried to learn plate discipline to become a leadoff hitter. It didn't work. 

Players like that, they just are who they are. And Rengifo, his previous inconsistency notwithstanding, I think it's going to be an ok defensive SS that can do a little bit of everything. A starter, but not an all-star or anything. 

So with Rengifo, I'm hoping the fact that they haven't acquired a shortstop means they're going to roll with him. 

Edited by Second Base

4 hours ago, totdprods said:

Wow, the Marlins are near 40 signed. 

Thats the way to do it...  Attrition is the name of the game with Latin American signees.  The Dodgers had signed 32 guys after day one.

People always obsess over the big names and they are often the biggest duds...  In 2014 the Yankees signed 10 of the top 30 guys available and a total of 40 players for 34 million dollars (before penalties) -- the best of the lot turned out to be Estevan Florial, the guy that got all the headlines and was ranked #1 by MLBPipeline was Dermis Garcia for 3 mil, all told they had 5 guys get more than 1.5 mil bonuses.  Meanwhile Ronald Acuna was signed for 100K.   

Check out the top 30 international guys in 2014

Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 10.54.55 AM

2014 also led to the Angels international gift..  Roberto Baldoquin.  After the penalties, Baldo cost the Angels almost triple their entire bonus pool this year..

Props to the Nats though..  they spent 1.5 mil of their 1.9 mil budget in 2015 on a guy named Juan Soto....

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Thats the way to do it...  Attrition is the name of the game with Latin American signees.  The Dodgers had signed 32 guys after day one.

People always obsess over the big names and they are often the biggest duds...  In 2014 the Yankees signed 10 of the top 30 guys available and a total of 40 players for 34 million dollars (before penalties) -- the best of the lot turned out to be Estevan Florial, the guy that got all the headlines and was ranked #1 by MLBPipeline was Dermis Garcia for 3 mil, all told they had 5 guys get more than 1.5 mil bonuses.  Meanwhile Ronald Acuna was signed for 100K.   

Check out the top 30 international guys in 2014

2014 also led to the Angels international gift..  Roberto Baldoquin.  After the penalties, Baldo cost the Angels almost triple what their entire bonus pool this year..

Props to the Nats though..  they spent 1.5 mil of their 1.9 mil budget in 2015 on a guy named Juan Soto....

Spread the money around, particularly when you are projecting 16 year olds....

7 hours ago, DMVol said:

Spread the money around, particularly when you are projecting 16 year olds....

There's two schools of thought regarding international prospects. The first would be to spread there money around, as you say. Many of these 16 year olds have been scouted since they were 14. It's like scouting a kid from 8th grade to 10th grade and projecting what he'll be like at 25.  Given the uncertainty, spread it out and go for the quantity over quality approach. After all, how many times have we seen guys unexpectedly grow 3-4 inches and add 5 mph on their fastball at 18? It's a common occurrence. 

The other school of thought would be the one big splash. The success rate of these kids in next to nothing. Think about it. They've got to learn the basics of English and Americanism as well as finance classes and making their bed in conjunction with outperforming their peers and developing so that by the time they hit age 18, they're ready to climb the minor league ladder stateside. It's a tall task. You may be better off spending big on that one elite talent and the minimum on the rest of the kids. 

I think one of the fundamental flaws in the approach with Kevin Maitan was that they never let him develop off the field at a Dominican academy. It was only baseball and he'd been killing the international annoying league pitching for two years before signing. What he needed was time in the academy to develop maturity as a person then come stateside. Instead they brought him here immediately, and he gained a bunch of weight and garnered interests off the field. Watching his mannerisms makes me wonder if he's even passionate about the game anymore. 

2022 Signing Bonus

Does not count against team payroll.

PLAYER (0)

POS.

BASE SALARY

SIGNING BONUS

TOTAL SALARY

ADJ.

SALARY

Nelson Rada

OF

-

$1,800,000

$1,800,000

$1,800,000

Randy de Jesus

OF

-

$1,200,000

$1,200,000

$1,200,000

Nixon Encarnacion

P

-

$500,000

$500,000

$500,000

Luis Rodriguez

SS

-

$500,000

$500,000

$500,000

Kristin Munroe

3B

-

$400,000

$400,000

$400,000

Dario Laverde

C

-

$350,000

$350,000

$350,000

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/los-angeles-angels/payroll/

a quick rundown of international prospect rankings.  I'm only looking at mlb.com because I'm too lazy to check the other sites.  Others can feel free to weigh in with info elsewhere but I think this paints an interesting picture.  

2012 (top 20)
no one you've ever heard of except Franklin Barreto who was #2. 

2013 (top 30)
1. Eloy Jimenez
3. Gleyber Torres
6. Raffy Devers
27 other guys you've never heard of.  

No one you've heard of before @Inside Pitch posted the list above. 

7. Vlad Guerrero Jr.  (listed for Montreal Canada)
25. Juan Soto
30. Fernando Tatis jr.  
27 other guys you've never heard of.  

1. Luis Robert
2. Kevin Maitan
28 other guys you've never heard of.

1. Shohei Ohtani
2. Wander Franco
a couple guys in the top 100 for now.  

Not sure it's relevant to list any years after that as they really have no chance of being recognizable.  

Make of this what you will.