• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2022 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

Looking at just his stats relative to his age, Kyren Paris stands out as someone who might be incredibly underrated as a prospect. What is the knock on him? He more than held his own as a 19-year old in A and A+. I realize the power potential is minimal, but everything else appears to be advanced. He seems like someone who could breakout in a huge way this year.  

14 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Looking at just his stats relative to his age, Kyren Paris stands out as someone who might be incredibly underrated as a prospect. What is the knock on him? He more than held his own as a 19-year old in A and A+. I realize the power potential is minimal, but everything else appears to be advanced. He seems like someone who could breakout in a huge way this year.  

@Second Base has been touting him for a while. 

His upside is certainly pretty high.

20 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Yes, agreed. I honestly don't know why he isn't at least a 45+ FV prospect (Fangraphs has him at 40). Maybe it is the lack of power, but they tend not to be as obsessed with power as other outlets.

He reminds me a bit of Jean Segura. I remember when Keith Law loved Segura and he passed under everyone else's radar. He's become a pretty good player with some All-Star caliber seasons.

It might simply come down to not enough playing time - he's only played 50 professional games so far. I guess it's reasonable to be conservative until he plays more. 

2 hours ago, wopphil said:

I'm a big fan.  I think he's gonna hit well.  And his power potential is actually decent.   The nit that some talk about is his k rate.  But He was solid in A ball after a year off and then he got injured right away to start 2021 and missed two months.  Then still managed to get a call up to A+ where he was much younger than most of the competition.   So even with the disjointed minors over the last couple years he's still playing up a level.  I think he ends up our best position player prospect by the end of 2022.  

5 hours ago, wopphil said:

2 knocks:

1) His K% is horrible, he had a 30.1% K% in Low-A.

2) He's had trouble staying healthy. He got injured after 3 games in 2019 and then missed multiple months due to injury in 2021.

Also: he didn't "more than hold his own" in A+. He had a 70 wRC+ and a 36.4% K% while his BB% plummeted to 3.6%. It was a small sample size and he's still young, but I don't think you can say he "more than held his own" at A+.

5 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

He reminds me a bit of Jean Segura.

Segura's K% was way lower than Paris'.

As a 19 year-old in Low-A, Paris had a 30.1% K%.

As a 20 year-old in Low-A, Segura had a 12.4% K%.

The highest K% Segura ever had in the minors was 21.1% when he played 7 games in AAA as a 19 year old (side note: why did that happen?)

14 minutes ago, Trendon said:

The highest K% Segura ever had in the minors was 21.1% when he played 7 games in AAA as a 19 year old (side note: why did that happen?)

He said "a bit". 

But your points are fair.

18 minutes ago, Trendon said:

2 knocks:

2) He's had trouble staying healthy. He got injured after 3 games in 2019 and then missed multiple months due to injury in 2021.

Also: he didn't "more than hold his own" in A+. He had a 70 wRC+ and a 36.4% K% while his BB% plummeted to 3.6%. It was a small sample size and he's still young, but I don't think you can say he "more than held his own" at A+.

splitting hairs/semantics.  55 PA and he was the youngest player in the league.   It's a turn of phrase.    

19 minutes ago, Trendon said:

reminds him.  and you pick something specific where as to why they're not the same.  

and that kind of thing happens fairly regularly.  It was the first week of the season and they were gonna place him at orem and SLC is 40 miles from there.  Probably had some injuries at SLC to start the season so they needed an IFer.  

18 hours ago, Trendon said:

2 knocks:

These are good points, but as @Dochalopoints out, he was incredibly young for his level. And while he didn’t light up A+, across the two levels combined he seemingly exceeded any reasonable expectations. 

I know I'm going to catch heat for this, and I want ya'll to understand, I'm not making a direct comparison. 

Watching clips of Kyren Paris last year reminded me of when I saw clips of Mookie Betts in A Ball. Granted this was years ago, but the build, the swing, the pop, the speed, the discipline are all similar. Betts was a year older and a degree more dominant, but it's the same game. 

Betts'ultimate ceiling was the jackpot in the range of outcomes. I don't know where Kyren goes from here, but I see the same type of projection, where he's going to be a better major leaguer than his prospect status dictated. 

Edited by Second Base

7 hours ago, wopphil said:

These are good points, but as @Dochalopoints out, he was incredibly young for his level. And while he didn’t light up A+, across the two levels combined he seemingly exceeded any reasonable expectations. 

Yeah, he's young and he's had limited pro AB's. So that definitely helps mitigate those concerns a bit, but there are reasons why I can see FanGraphs being somewhat low on him.

Law has been a bigger fan of Sam Bachman than most since the draft. Obviously many believe he's more of a reliever and with Law, he buys the reports of Bachman possessing a decent change up, giving him a third effective pitch and a chance to be a starter. Some don't like that he's more of a 4-6 inning pitcher, but I think Law and the Angels themselves are realizing the game has changed and that 5 innings is soon going to be the standard for starters. 

Edited by Second Base

59 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Law has been a bigger fan of Sam Bachman than most since the draft. Obviously many believe he's more of a reliever and with Law, he buys the reports of Bachman possessing a decent change up, giving him a third effective pitch and a chance to be a starter. Some don't like that he's more of a 4-6 inning pitcher, but I think Law and the Angels themselves are realizing the game has changed and that 5 innings is soon going to be the standard for starters. 

You were the first here that I remember singing Bachman’s praises and you predicted we would draft him even before draft day.  Well done Scotty. 

19 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You were the first here that I remember singing Bachman’s praises and you predicted we would draft him even before draft day.  Well done Scotty. 

Let's wait until he does it in Anaheim before singing any praises. It feels like taking any sort of recognition at this point would only jinx it and I don't want to be associated with that. 

Here’s a familiar name https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/02/rockies-sign-carlos-perez-to-minors-contract.html

Always seemed like a solid back-up catcher and was kinda bummed when the Angels parted with him.

Also - how insane is it that he hit 31 HR in less than 100 games last year? Goes to show how wild AAA hitting environs have become. 

Law's Organizational rankings. Angels #23

https://theathletic.com/3112765/2022/02/07/mlb-2022-farm-system-rankings-keith-law-grades-all-30-teams-on-prospects-with-the-dodgers-at-no-1/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

23. Los Angeles Angels

Last yearNo. 23

The Angels’ all-pitching draft in 2021 might have seemed like a gimmick, but 1) they really needed pitching, and 2) they did quite well with that constraint, finding several guys after the 10th round who either impressed in their pro debuts or look like good bets on paper. That helps a system that has been struggling to recover after bottoming out in 2016, when the Angels had the weakest farm system I’ve seen since I started doing this for a living. There was some improvement in the interim, but it proved mostly illusory, with only Brandon Marsh panning out from the previous wave of prospects, although the jury is still out on Jo Adell. There’s huge risk in building your system around arms, but they’ve at least acquired a nicely mixed portfolio of upside guys and safer bets.

I knew it would make news, the all pitcher draft and while I did expect it, I think the conversation has to shift now from getting pitching, to developing pitching. 

As the article states or implied, there are several major league arms from the Angels draft class. But now we have to see if the organization can develop them. 

The previous regime seemed to do a decent job with Canning, Rodriguez and Detmers, but the jury is still out on reach of them. Canning has health issues and we aren't sure if he's a major leaguer or AAA depth. Rodriguez also has health issues and his role is ill-defined. If he's a reliever that doesn't move the needle much. And Detmers, we'll see. He's a big league pitcher, we just aren't sure what quality he will provide.