• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2022 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

14 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Saw that. I don't mind Neto entering the list at #99, but O'Hoppe (#77) where he's ranked is laughable. 

I feel like Baseball America has been slipping in their rankings the past few years. 

I mean, they ranked Jo Adell as the #2 prospect in all of baseball just two years ago. 

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 8.38.28 PM.png

It almost seems like his ranking has dropped since he got traded to the Angels. Meanwhile they have Cartaya ranked 9th and he may not even stick at catcher. 

6 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

It almost seems like his ranking has dropped since he got traded to the Angels. Meanwhile they have Cartaya ranked 9th and he may not even stick at catcher. 

And if Cartaya is 9th, how the heck is Quero not even top 100?

His rookie AND A ball stats are every bit as good as Cartaya’s?

About to play A+ ball in 2023 at just age 20!

13 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

And if Cartaya is 9th, how the heck is Quero not even top 100?

His rookie AND A ball stats are every bit as good as Cartaya’s?

About to play A+ ball in 2023 at just age 20!

Cartaya is definitely getting his ranking inflated by virtue of being in the Dodgers system. I think there's a strong chance he's packaged in a trade this offseason for a star, like Keibert Ruiz was. 

I’ll leave the scouting report on Costeiu to someone else.

One of the many pitchers taken in 2021 draft (7th round from UofArkansas), was just age 21 this past season in A+ ball.

Conveted to starter in mid-May, and made 10 starts over 2 months before missing the rest of the season.

In those 10 starts (49.2 innings), ERA was around 4.30 and WHiP around 1.30.   Did have 58/13 Ks/BBs.

49 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

For anyone who doesn't have access to The Athletic, note that in addition to picking O'Hoppe as his prospect of the year, Law also picked Neto as the player from this year's draft class who had the best debut:

"I used to name one player from that year’s draft class who had the best pro debut, but that meant a lot more when the draft was in June and some draft picks could get 200 plate appearances before the minor-league season ended. Instead, Cam Collier, whom I ranked as the second-best prospect in the draft class, played all of nine games after signing. While he hit .370/.514/.630 for the AZL Reds, I’d like to at least consider sample size in this. Zach Neto had the best pro debut of anyone who actually played more than a week or two, hitting .299/.377/.476 even though the Angels sent him straight to High A and then promoted him to Double A. I’d give him the edge over the Dodgers’ first pick, catcher Dalton Rushing, who had better stats (.424/.539/.778) but did it in Low A in a better hitters’ park."

O'Hoppe is a far superior defender to Alvarez, and I think that's the key difference. Alvarez plays a few years as a defensively limited catcher before shifting to DH and 1B little by little. By the time he's 25 or 26, his catching days are behind him. 

O'Hoppe is a catcher and a field general, through and through. 

3 minutes ago, Wisconsin27 said:

I just wish we'd let him cook a little longer in the minors.  We have had success advancing players quickly through the minor levels, but not so much with the move to the majors.  What's the rush!?!

If he's ready, he's ready. 

Stassi's abysmal season has also forced their hand a bit.

30 minutes ago, Wisconsin27 said:

I just wish we'd let him cook a little longer in the minors.  We have had success advancing players quickly through the minor levels, but not so much with the move to the majors.  What's the rush!?!

I think he will spend most of next year in AAA.  I see this "promotion" as the club rewarding him for a highly successful minor league season.  The minor league games were over, so they just promoted him for a few games to get some more reps.

He could be our starting catcher next year, but I would assume it'd be closer to the end of the season if that transpires.  I do not see this as him being rushed.

2 hours ago, Wisconsin27 said:

I think they will let him cook a little longer in the minors.

They’re just letting him get his feet wet now, as the AAA and AA seasons are over.

He probably enters 2023 third or fourth on the catching depth chart.

12 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I think he will spend most of next year in AAA.  I see this "promotion" as the club rewarding him for a highly successful minor league season.  The minor league games were over, so they just promoted him for a few games to get some more reps.

He could be our starting catcher next year, but I would assume it'd be closer to the end of the season if that transpires.  I do not see this as him being rushed.

I would think it’s more whenever they think he’s ready in 2023.   Could be April, could be May, could be June, but can’t see it going beyond that.

He’s had 3.5 really good MiLB seasons, and is already MLB ready behind the plate.

Edited by Angel Oracle

8 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I would think it’s more whenever they think he’s ready in 2023.   Could be April, could be May, could be June, but can’t see it going beyond that.

He’s had 3.5 really good MLB seasons, and is already MLB ready behind the plate.

I agree with the "when they think he's ready."

We'll see about the timeline.  It'd be great if it was sooner rather than later, but by all means, I'd like them to take their time and only promote him when they feel he is for sure 100% ready, and not to "save the season" so to speak.  

Even Rutschman, who was the top pick in the draft and an elite defensive prospect, needed about 50-60 games in AAA in total prior to promotion.  I would assume O'Hoppe would at least spend that much time.  Catching requires tons of nuances, and I feel that catchers are probably the position in which you are least likely to see a quick promotion.

I don't think O'Hoppe will spend much time in AAA to be honest. It isn't any more challenging of an environment than AA which he already obliterated. I think they'll keep him, Thaiss and Stassi all on the roster next year. 

Stassi's winded, and has reached the point in his career where he probably should only be catching like 50 games or so, especially if his offense stays like this. They'll keep O'Hoppe because it's the ideal scenario for a rookie. Catching probably 80 or so games with ample rest. They'll keep Thaiss because they need the depth at 1B and 3B and having a third catcher is a luxury. He'll probably log 30 starts behind the plate, another 30 at 1B and another 30 at 3B. 

Edited by Second Base

On 9/24/2022 at 9:29 PM, Second Base said:

Anyone else get the sense that Tucker Davidson is going to turn into a solid reliever? 

With the new mechanics, Improved stuff, and a little bit of deception. I think there is some upside in him. He's always had a plus slider, a Above-average Curve, and now a Fastball that has picked up a few thicks, there is 3/4 type of upside in him. Biggest thing will be the command/control for him. 

One thing I've noticed of late, is how is seems like the use of analytics is finally being drived into philosophy. Detmers went down and worked on something with the data provided and bamn he's a different pitcher. Suarez now has two differ changes and sliders and a new arm angele as well, Davidson making the changes. It's truly a site to see and something that we've be waiting for!