• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Michael Lorenzen (1 year, $6.75 million)

mmc

14 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I think at this point it's pretty safe to say Robbie Ray (maybe Stroman) is probably the target and, if they miss out, they'll make a strong pivot towards Luis Castillo, in which yes, including a MLB-ready SP will almost be necessary, if not two. That's where Lorenzen helps us.

1. Ray/Castillo/Stroman
  2. Syndergaard
  3. Ohtani
  4. Sandoval
  5. Lorenzen
  6. whoever is left of Suarez, Canning, Barria, Detmers, Bachman if there's a Castillo trade

Might as well get both Castillo and one of Stroman/Ray

Castillo Ray Ohtani Syndergaard is a real playoff rotation

If this was a good roster, I'd love that we had him for his versatility.  However, this is not a good roster, so I don't care too much for it right now, nor do I really hate it because it's not my money and I see it as a sign we increase payroll.  If we do put together a good roster, then as I said, I'll probably love the move because of his versatility, but we aren't there yet.  So I'm not really going to judge this one too much, though I do think the people who call it a total waste are reaching quite a bit.

2 minutes ago, mmc said:

If this was a good roster, I'd love that we had him for his versatility.  However, this is not a good roster, so I don't care too much for it right now, nor do I really hate it because it's not my money and I see it as a sign we increase payroll.  If we do put together a good roster, then as I said, I'll probably love the move because of his versatility, but we aren't there yet.  So I'm not really going to judge this one too much, though I do think the people who call it a total waste are reaching quite a bit.

I will move back from calling it a total waste/hating it if and when the Angels make other substantial improvements to the pitching staff and to the defense.

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

I will move back from calling it a total waste/hating it if and when the Angels make other substantial improvements to the pitching staff and to the defense.

Curious. What are your defensive replacements to our current starting roster?

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Curious. What are your defensive replacements to our current starting roster?

Beats me.  I just know that the defense was bad last year (yes, in part because Rendon wasn't around--but even he wasn't good defensively when he was active).  I definitely don't want Fletcher moving to SS, though.  That much I know...The improvement could come in the positioning/shifting.

5 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Beats me.  I just know that the defense was bad last year (yes, in part because Rendon wasn't around--but even he wasn't good defensively when he was active).  I definitely don't want Fletcher moving to SS, though.  That much I know...The improvement could come in the positioning/shifting.

Fair enough

52 minutes ago, Cosmo_Kramer said:

Might as well get both Castillo and one of Stroman/Ray

Castillo Ray Ohtani Syndergaard is a real playoff rotation

The problem with that is you're probably adding $32m between Lorenzen and Stroman/Ray on top of the $28m committed to Thor and Loup, and at $60m, you're pretty much 'done' and over by a few million without addressing closer, another reliever, back-up catcher. Of course Arte could spend more, but there's going to be a limit. If you add Castillo to that, now you're looking at nearly $70m added to payroll and almost certainly will have a hole in the OF you'll need to address. 

I'd imagine the game plan goes two ways from here:

• 1: Sign Ray ~$25m or Stroman for ~$20m, give or take either AAV or with backloading, and then sign a closer still, be it Iglesias or someone else. That still likely puts the Angels around $190-$195m spent, without having addressed any of the other needs for other relievers, shortstop, or back-up catcher. They could roll with the team as is, but yeesh it's dicey. Realistically, it's probably a payroll closer to $200m-$210m. Not wholly unrealistic, but it'd be a big departure, barring any major backloading for the FA SP and CL.

• 2: Fail to sign Ray or Stroman, pivot to Castillo in a trade (I guess Sonny Gray as a potential back-up to that solution), and you likely trade an OF, a SS prospect, one of the young pitchers, maybe a second young pitcher or SS of a lesser tier. Bright side here is Castillo only adds $7.5m to the total, so Thor, Lorenzen, Loup, Castillo add up to $~43m added to '22. Easily have room to add Iglesias around ~$15m AAV without it breaking budget...it'd top off a little shy of $190m, maybe a tick more if you added a cheap OF, back-up catcher, another low-dollar reliever or two. The Angels still go over a bit, but there's room to add a wider net of talent here.

What the F?

We. Don't. Have. A. SS.  

You take a flyer on this dude when our most stable MIer is someone who produced 0.3 WAR?  

If we end up with who we've got at SS/2b after spending 7m on a project then I'm gonna lose my fucking mind.  

They better do a lot more after this.   A lot more.  

23 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

What the F?

We. Don't. Have. A. SS.  

You take a flyer on this dude when our most stable MIer is someone who produced 0.3 WAR?  

If we end up with who we've got at SS/2b after spending 7m on a project then I'm gonna lose my fucking mind.  

They better do a lot more after this.   A lot more.  

Don't worry Arte will get us Trevor Story