• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rosenthal: Robbie Ray atop the Angels wishlist (signs with Seattle lmao)

mmc

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Do they have to DFA someone like Gosselin before a certain date?  I know they recently moved the deadline from December 1st to November 30th for what I think is offering a contract.  Would they have to release Gosselin before the 30th? 

They will either tender him a contract or offer arbitration.  If they don't he's automatically a FA.

Just now, notherhalo said:

With Arte being business minded and not baseball minded (evidently), he won't grossly overpay, which is why we missed out on all the previous pitchers.

Are we to expect something different here?

Arte has grossly overpaid several times, it just hasn't happened with a pitcher yet. 

They did make a record offer for Cole, the Yankees just made an offer that was even more of a record. 
They reportedly made offers to both Corbin and Wheeler, but both wanted to play East.
Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean they haven't tried.

5 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Albert stopped running gear the second he got paid. He wasn’t doing anything to jeopardize his pay check 

Well, once he signed, his paycheck wasn't threatened. 

But the psychology isn't hard - you work and work to get "paid", to climb that mountain, to get that validation- and once you get paid, your effort has ended.  

Marathoners don't keep running past the finish line* and I've seen it in business, where a fat commission check or bonus or a big raise often has the opposite effect desired - people have often quit or gotten much less productive after these rewards.  

He dialed it back, and only periodically gave full effort.  Once cut, of course, his ego was threatened, and he put effort in again.  

That's the danger with any of the large payout contracts - you need to evaluate the psyche of the guy you're signing - is he gonna get fat and lazy?  Or will be still break his bones to win?

* (an imperfect analogy, since I've heard of many marathoners who've gone for runs a few hours after finishing) 

10 hours ago, Underdog Lefty said:

Based on Ray’s stats at https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/starting-pitcher/, I would take a pass on him.  Instead, I would go after another former Cy Young award winner that no one in Angels’ land is even talking about, Corey Kubler.  Yea, I know, he’s older than Ray and may not be what he used to be after surgery, but geez if he is able to recover successfully enough to be 80% of what he once was…….

OMG, take a look at his historical statistics on Spotrac too, they are radically better than any other free agent starting pitcher. I would take him as my 3rd, 4th or even 5th starter in a heartbeat.  He’s a bulldog on the mound and the Angels have a boatload of young pitchers throughout their organization that could learn quite a bit from him on how to take command on the mound.  Go get him on a 1 or 2-yr deal Angels, he’s worth the risk!

Corey Kluber signs one-year deal with Rays after spending 2021 season with Yankees, per report

The 35-year-old Kluber is reportedly getting an $8 million deal

2 hours ago, CanadianHalo said:

Albert stopped running gear the second he got paid. He wasn’t doing anything to jeopardize his pay check 

i'm no pujols fan, but there was nothing that could possibly jeopardize his pay check. that shit's guaranteed the moment he signs on the line.

2 hours ago, DCAngelsFan said:

Well, once he signed, his paycheck wasn't threatened. 

But the psychology isn't hard - you work and work to get "paid", to climb that mountain, to get that validation- and once you get paid, your effort has ended.  

Marathoners don't keep running past the finish line* and I've seen it in business, where a fat commission check or bonus or a big raise often has the opposite effect desired - people have often quit or gotten much less productive after these rewards.  

He dialed it back, and only periodically gave full effort.  Once cut, of course, his ego was threatened, and he put effort in again.  

That's the danger with any of the large payout contracts - you need to evaluate the psyche of the guy you're signing - is he gonna get fat and lazy?  Or will be still break his bones to win?

* (an imperfect analogy, since I've heard of many marathoners who've gone for runs a few hours after finishing) 

Albert became more self-centered than I imagined a player could after signing with the Angels.  That, in my estimation was the problem.