• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021-22 Hot Stove League Thread.

32 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I’m not trying to be a jerk but I keep seeing people say this.  I don’t think any one knows how the Angels operate.  Other than they operate very stupidly.  Never say die I guess but it sure looks and feels like this is going to be another off season where they pass on doing obvious things to really improve the team.  I love getting Snydergaard.  It’s a one a year deal.  Even if he has a great year there’s a pretty decent chance he walks.  And if he’s bad then who cares.  Lorenzen has pitched like 30 innings in the past several years.  I think he’s a guy worth getting but these two things on their own ….. I mean 😬

Loup is a nice get, especially combined with Raisel.  We’ll see about that.  

anyway.  I don’t think we know how the Angels operate.  I don’t think the Angels have any clue about how they should operate.  Anyway, was hoping to get to pretend that the Angels were setting up a contending window with Trout and Ohtani but Arte is showing his big time commitment to going all the way again. 

No worries man, I appreciate the response.

You're right, none of us do.  I guess what it seems like to me is the Angels don't have many leaks, but I guess I can't know that for sure.

In terms of Syndergaard, I am (probably irrationally) hopeful that we can help him regain his previous form, and then re-sign him next offseason to a significant deal, so that we have an Ohtani/Syndergaard 1/2 punch for years to come.

A lot of people are disappointed, but a healthy Syndergaard, combined with Ohtani, is a pretty legit top of the rotation.  The key thing, though, is the rest of the rotation has to be good/decent too.  I think we need another really solid option.  Having Sandoval, Suarez, and Lorenzen occupy 4-6, though, is actually pretty good.  And if Lorezen doesn't pitch well, we can easily move on from him and have Detmers, Canning, etc in AAA.

I'd say we need a solid SP3, a closer, and another decent reliever.  Not impossible to do.  We'll see.

32 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I’m not trying to be a jerk but I keep seeing people say this.  I don’t think any one knows how the Angels operate.  Other than they operate very stupidly.  Never say die I guess but it sure looks and feels like this is going to be another off season where they pass on doing obvious things to really improve the team.  I love getting Snydergaard.  It’s a one a year deal.  Even if he has a great year there’s a pretty decent chance he walks.  And if he’s bad then who cares.  Lorenzen has pitched like 30 innings in the past several years.  I think he’s a guy worth getting but these two things on their own ….. I mean 😬

Loup is a nice get, especially combined with Raisel.  We’ll see about that.  

anyway.  I don’t think we know how the Angels operate.  I don’t think the Angels have any clue about how they should operate.  Anyway, was hoping to get to pretend that the Angels were setting up a contending window with Trout and Ohtani but Arte is showing his big time commitment to going all the way again. 

Are we sure they actually operate?

I just googled “document how Angels operate” and I got this:

20A9FDA1-2F9E-45D7-A47C-183EFF2FB6AA.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

No worries man, I appreciate the response.

You're right, none of us do.  I guess what it seems like to me is the Angels don't have many leaks, but I guess I can't know that for sure.

In terms of Syndergaard, I am (probably irrationally) hopeful that we can help him regain his previous form, and then re-sign him next offseason to a significant deal, so that we have an Ohtani/Syndergaard 1/2 punch for years to come.

A lot of people are disappointed, but a healthy Syndergaard, combined with Ohtani, is a pretty legit top of the rotation.  The key thing, though, is the rest of the rotation has to be good/decent too.  I think we need another really solid option.  Having Sandoval, Suarez, and Lorenzen occupy 4-6, though, is actually pretty good.

Hey I have big hopes for Snydergaard and I hope they’re able to keep him around.  I like the bet on him.  Despite my post, I think I’m probably a little higher on the Angels than most.  I don’t think the team lacks the talent to compete.  I think the organization is terribly run.  When that’s the situation it’s just luck whether they’re healthy, whether guys get their shit together.  Maybe they will next year.  It would nice if the Angels hedged a lot more though.  Seems like just getting a guy like Stroman would go a long ways towards that hedge.  Or getting a good player like Taylor.  It feels like they won’t do it.  And that sucks.  But hey, they’ve still got time to prove me wrong.  It seems like they promised Trout more than this when they got him to agree to that extension.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

6 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

In terms of Syndergaard, I am (probably irrationally) hopeful that we can help him regain his previous form...

I'll do my part.

What is my part?  What is anyone's role for that matter?

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Remember Ron Romanick?  I was a kid watching him get people out despite not really being able to K anyone or anything special....  Felt like watching that all over.

I remember Ron and Jay Kibbe who were supposed to be our future at the time. Romanick was a flame thrower when we drafted him he flamed out due to a shoulder issue and became a location guy. Kibbe had a bad elbow and never did anything. I think that is why I feel about prospects as I do. 

And the obvious through the years...

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

MLB owners are now being pressured to provide housing for anyone making less than $1m.

Well, yeah!  They should.  I mean anything less than a million bucks is scraping by.

1 minute ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I remember Ron and Jay Kibbe who were supposed to be our future at the time. Romanick was a flame thrower when we drafted him he flamed out due to a shoulder issue and became a location guy. Kibbe had a bad elbow and never did anything. 

I was a kid, didn't know he had once been a hard thrower -- but it makes sense given he was drafted three times, twice in the first round, once the third... 

I just remember he made Geoff Zahn seem like he threw heat.  Watched him smoke and mirror his way through MLB for two years before BOOM...

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

I was a kid, didn't know he had once been a hard thrower -- but it makes sense given he was drafted three times, twice in the first round, once the third... 

I just remember he made Geoff Zahn seem like he threw heat.  Watched him smoke and mirror his way through MLB for two years before BOOM...

Which is funny you bring up Zahn... He was who Jamie Moyer became! Romanick was similar to Captain Kirk McCaskill 

I don’t understand what the big deal is about keeping what ? 15  clean two bed dorms at your training facilities and providing a reasonable meal/entertainment stipend to your guys that are the life blood your billion dollar money machine.  Sorry I don’t care about this reasonable cost of doing business for people wealthy beyond belief.  

obviously guys with major league contracts don’t need this. 

3 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Now he is worth more in the trade market since he is controlled for 6 years at those numbers.

We have never really seen it before but wouldn’t it be interesting if this was a move by the Marlins to increase their haul in trading him?

Seems really unlikely. If they gave him this deal and then flipped him, no other future Marlins extension candidates would ever believe ownership again (and the Marlins already have a bad reputation regarding this). This is simply them locking up those arbitration years at numbers they are happy with and tacking on the two option years so that they can move him at their leisure after the 2024 or 2025 seasons (or even the 2026 Trade Deadline), presuming he is healthy. They are competing now, it would be stupid for them to move him in the next couple of seasons.

1 minute ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Which is funny you bring up Zahn... He was who Jamie Moyer became! Romanick was similar to Captain Kirk McCaskill 

I remember my Dad telling me Zahn could bring it when he first came up with the Dodgers but it was flat and hittable so he went the complete other way and started rolling balls to home plate and found success.  McKaskill...  Dude had a slider from hell then stopped throwing it completely for like two years.  Another dude that seemingly reinvented himself as a slop strike throwing machine.