• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who is your preferred SS for 2022?

Hubs

Who is your preferred SS for 2022?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your preferred SS for 2022 and going forward?

• Fletcher
    • Rengifo
    • B. Davis / Stefanic
    • Correa (AKA the Cheater)
    • Semien
    • Story
    • Seager
    • Baez
    • Simmons
    • Torres -- Via Trade
    • Other -- Via Trade or FA

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Not sure of this has been mentioned already. But aim not sure Seager would be top up to coming here. 1, its hard to leave the dodgers and come to the current team (lets be honest). But Id also guess the seager family isnt too big of a fan of the angels.

Maybe Im just crazy thinking that. 

I posted a while back that I heard very particularly that the reason the dogs got Turner was to replace Seager because he has zero intention of staying in the LA area.  

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

and I want them to pay attention to SS and depth more that most.  but committing to another 250m contract would be horrendously stupid.  And it would almost certainly mean we don't keep Ohtani.  

Yes.  No way you add that to the budget, and SS can be solved budget-wise as I don’t believe we need another big bat, we need a big glove.  Plus don’t forget catcher where you realistically need a half-time quality guy.  And a solid super sub.  That’s along with pitching.

9 minutes ago, Torridd said:

So like a J. Iglesias? I'm just concerned that an external shortstop would take away from the money we need for pitching. My philosophy is get the starters, re-sign Iglesias and any money left can get an outside shortstop.

Here's my idea for shits and giggles.

Chris Taylor - $10 million first year. 4/60 overall.

Raisel Iglesias - $12 million first year. 3/48 overall.

Alex Cobb - $15 million first year. 3/48 overall.

Jon Gray - $9 million first year. 4/40 overall.

4 million left to play around with for depth and flyers. 

There will also be trades for relievers and probably a catcher.

Not a spectacular offseason. But unless Arte ups the payroll it's probably the best case scenario.

3 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Not a spectacular offseason. But unless Arte ups the payroll it's probably the best case scenario.

I’d take that plan.  But do you want to re-sign Cobb or Iglesias before the new CBA.?  I’d support doing a QO on Iglesias since that comes before the old CBA expires (I think).  But the market is likely to change, and while that uncertainty can create opportunities I’d be cautious.

I think the most likely scenario is that Luis Rengifo is the Angels starting SS.

If the Angels go that route, I'd hope they add a platoon bench bat (like a Brad Miller) so that if Plan A doesn't work out, they can slide Fletcher to SS and have that bench bat play 2B.

On 10/23/2021 at 10:22 AM, Hubs said:

It’s not like we won’t have a pitcher. I think we acquire two solid starters. Leaving Ohtani, Sandoval, Suarez, Detmers, C-Rod, Barria, Canning, Naughton, Bachman, Daniel, Criswell, and Junk as SP options in the system. 
Assuming we get two guys like Scherzer and Duffy or Stroman and Cobb or Ray and Gray, etc..I’m  pretty happy with the teams depth 1-11. 

If they decided to get a guy like Semien and a starter like Stroman instead of two pitchers instead signing a guy like Bundy or Heaney or Richards or Lorenzen or someone on a bounce back deal… 

That might be better.

Bundy or Heaney is never a better option even with Semien and a starter like Stroman.

What would Stroman as the only major addition to the rotation look like:

Stroman
Cobb
Ohtani
Sandoval
Suanders
Detmers

Still a little underwhelming to me.

Edited by Ace-Of-Diamonds

On 10/21/2021 at 1:09 PM, Hubs said:

I changed it so you can see where my numbers come from. You don't pay the entire 40 man major league minimum salaries. They also don't count as to opening day or real payroll, they do count in luxury tax.

First, the signing bonuses are still on both Cot's and Spotrac, and your numbers included them. @Jeff FletcherFletcher mentioned this a while back and so I've dropped the bonuses.

In AAA a guy on the Major League 40-man roster without major league experience, makes a minimum of 46,000. If they have major league experience (only a day in the majors), they make much more, at least 96,000 per year. This is also accounted for in the roughly $2.25-3M in minor league salaries the team adds to its luxury tax payroll, not in "real" payroll. Ettin frequently cites this wrongly in his salary articles. Just because they renew a minor leaguers contract at said amount, does not mean he earns that.

When a guy is brought up, say Packy Naughton is brought up to start, he makes the prorated portion of the major league minimum salary for the time he is up, and then when he is sent back to AAA, he makes his prorated AAA salary. Ward was up for around 2/3 of the season and in AAA for 1/3 of the season last year, he'd make then 2/3 of the major league salary and 1/3 of the minor league one. So 400k+30k. = $430,000k.

You are right that when a guy goes on the major league 60-day DL he is guaranteed his prorated major league salary, but if they are in the minors when they get placed on the 60-Day DL, it's much less. Canning made much less than Sandoval last year because of this fact.

None of this adds up to be a lot of money. They used a lot of guys last year, and that is far from the norm. But by accounting for full salaries for the 26 man roster club control guys, you are able to absorb the cost. If they swap Naughton for Junk, the number to the payroll doesn't increase, Naughton makes minor league salary while Junk makes Major and vice versa.

If you want to figure out the 0-3 salaries (and it’s kind of a waste of time because it’s insignificant), here’s how you do it…

Count up all the other guys (FAs and arb guys) and subtract that from 26. Then add however many spots you want for your average number of guys on the IL each day in the season. (3-5, I’d say. Pick a number.)

Now you know how many active 0-3’s you’ll have. (When one 0-3 replaces another 0-3 it doesn’t really change the payroll.) Multiply that by some number a little above the minimum (because some 0-3’s make more). We don’t know the minimum for 2022 so just use $600k for the average. 

Its gonna end up being something like $9-12M. Trying to get more precise is a waste of time. 

11 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Bundy or Heaney is never a better option even with Semien and a starter like Stroman.

Stroman
Cobb
Ohtani
Sandoval
Suanders
Detmers

If they did actually get a guy like Stroman, that would be an amazing outlier for this org and not something that should be legitimately expected.  If it does happen, expectations for that second FA arm should be pretty low, as in, probably wont happen.  There's no way around depending on the health of Ohtani and having Sandoval & Suarez provide a ton of good innings.  The bulk of their improvements will be in the continued development of young SPs, OFs Marsh & Adell, improved defense at SS and will largely hinge on how they cobble together an effective bullpen. 

On 10/23/2021 at 6:17 PM, tdawg87 said:

Need money for bullpen

14 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

If you want to figure out the 0-3 salaries (and it’s kind of a waste of time because it’s insignificant), here’s how you do it…

Count up all the other guys (FAs and arb guys) and subtract that from 26. Then add however many spots you want for your average number of guys on the IL each day in the season. (3-5, I’d say. Pick a number.)

Now you know how many active 0-3’s you’ll have. (When one 0-3 replaces another 0-3 it doesn’t really change the payroll.) Multiply that by some number a little above the minimum (because some 0-3’s make more). We don’t know the minimum for 2022 so just use $600k for the average. 

Its gonna end up being something like $9-12M. Trying to get more precise is a waste of time. 

I said 8-10M, so we're close. I figured there will be 5 players under current multi-year contracts, 2 arbitration contracts, and I believe they will sign 5-6 free agents. That's 12-13 guys, with 13-14 guys under one year renewal club controlled contracts. 

That's from these guys: Walsh, Rengifo/Mayfield/Davis, Thaiss, Adell, Marsh, Ward, Sandoval, Suarez, Detmers, Canning/Barria, Warren, Quijada, C-Rod, Herget, Tyler, Ortega, etc.

13 @ 600k = 7.8 + 3-4 more @ 600k =9.6.

On 10/23/2021 at 6:17 PM, tdawg87 said:

Alex Cobb will not make $15M per. Gray will make more. Swap those two and it makes some sense. Taylor will make more.

16 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Stroman
Cobb
Ohtani
Sandoval
Suanders
Detmers

I like that better. Cobb is a free agent too, so, that's technically two free agent pitchers.

Suarez, I believe you mean, not Suanders.

Also Canning and Barria will be healthy. Naughton too. C-Rod could take a spot, and so could Bachman.

14 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

So if the Angels have a similar payroll in '22 as they did in '21, is it then fair to say that they have around $50 million in payroll room this offseason?