• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who is your preferred SS for 2022?

Hubs

Who is your preferred SS for 2022?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your preferred SS for 2022 and going forward?

• Fletcher
    • Rengifo
    • B. Davis / Stefanic
    • Correa (AKA the Cheater)
    • Semien
    • Story
    • Seager
    • Baez
    • Simmons
    • Torres -- Via Trade
    • Other -- Via Trade or FA

I like Semien or Story as they'll be the cheapest of the big four and they're both excellent defensively.

Seager looks NY bound, and Correa I think will go to somewhere big.

I also forgot Javier Baez above.

It is difficult to answer this without considering other factors, not only immediate (e.g. does it impact their ability to sign the pitching they need?) and long-term (e.g. how does it hinder payroll flexibility down the line)?

I mean, obviously I'd love to have Correa or Semien, but considering the whole picture I'm going with Rengifo/Mayfield and a cheapish free agent like Villar. In spring training, Rengifo, Mayfield, and Stefanic audition for UT.

On 10/19/2021 at 2:53 PM, Trendon said:

Ideally, Correa because he's the best free agent SS out there offensively and defensively IMO.

Realistically, Semien, if you can get him for no more than 5 years and an AAV below $25M.

I highly doubt they sign a ss for that long or at that price. Paying out that kind of money would seal their fate for years. The team needs more payroll flexability. Without that flexability they won't have money for Ohtani going forward, not to mention we need a shitload of pitchers. Taking the past into consideration, it shows that the team has a pretty strict budget. Highly doubtful that changes, consideringthe lack of attendance at the games. I think they go cheap, and go either internally or go the way they did last season with a trade. 

4 minutes ago, Trendon said:

why not Fletcher at 2B and Semien at SS? Semien has been a SS for the majority of his career, while Fletcher has been primarily a 2B.

Yeah, doesn't make a lot of sense.  Semien agreed to play 2B this year because of Bo Bichette, but there's no reason that I can see to have him play 2B when the Angels already have Fletcher.  Might as well put both at their best defensive positions.

56 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

I highly doubt they sign a ss for that long or at that price. Paying out that kind of money would seal their fate for years. The team needs more payroll flexability. Without that flexability they won't have money for Ohtani going forward, not to mention we need a shitload of pitchers. Taking the past into consideration, it shows that the team has a pretty strict budget. Highly doubtful that changes, consideringthe lack of attendance at the games. I think they go cheap, and go either internally or go the way they did last season with a trade. 

They absoutely will sign a SS, Iglesias on the cheap didn't show he could handle it defensively or offensively. Stefanic is not a SS by trade and isn't good enough to warrant a call-up in a lost season. Paris and Jackson are years away. Fletcher slumped bad.

They can afford to go through growing pains in the OF corners, if they lock down the other positions. I'd imagine 4-6 year contract is likely what it's gonna take. 

They do not need payroll flexibility with All-Star caliber players at 7 positions and they absolutely need to add pitching, but not at the expense of offense.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

why not Fletcher at 2B and Semien at SS? Semien has been a SS for the majority of his career, while Fletcher has been primarily a 2B.

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

Yeah, doesn't make a lot of sense.  Semien agreed to play 2B this year because of Bo Bichette, but there's no reason that I can see to have him play 2B when the Angels already have Fletcher.  Might as well put both at their best defensive positions.

In terms of Defensive Runs Saved, Marcus Semien saved 11 runs at second base. In comparison to the rest of the MLB, this would rank third (with the two ahead of him also playing in the American League.) Semien also registered an Ultimate Zone Rating of 6.3, the highest in the MLB. His Revised Zone Rating, which is a percentage of opportunities for an out converted, was .780%, third highest in the MLB and highest for the American League.

So on top of one of the best hitting seasons for a middle infielder, Semien also provided the Blue Jays with a fantastic defensive season.

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

In terms of Defensive Runs Saved, Marcus Semien saved 11 runs at second base. In comparison to the rest of the MLB, this would rank third (with the two ahead of him also playing in the American League.) Semien also registered an Ultimate Zone Rating of 6.3, the highest in the MLB. His Revised Zone Rating, which is a percentage of opportunities for an out converted, was .780%, third highest in the MLB and highest for the American League.

So on top of one of the best hitting seasons for a middle infielder, Semien also provided the Blue Jays with a fantastic defensive season.

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/2199241

"That's great," Semien said Saturday when asked about matching the MLB single-season record for homers by a second baseman, according to Sportsnet's Ben Nicholson-Smith. "I still see myself as a shortstop. I've been playing the position for so long. Now I go over there to second, and I'm hitting more home runs, so it's all good. I've never had my name in any record book, so it's really cool."

4 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/2199241

"That's great," Semien said Saturday when asked about matching the MLB single-season record for homers by a second baseman, according to Sportsnet's Ben Nicholson-Smith. "I still see myself as a shortstop. I've been playing the position for so long. Now I go over there to second, and I'm hitting more home runs, so it's all good. I've never had my name in any record book, so it's really cool."

Well if he sees himself as a SS and that's his preference going into FA, then that's all to really discuss on this matter. Case closed.

Still in order of my preferred MI options, I like Semien and then Seager. 

I mostly like Semien because we have some solid SS prospects coming soon and of all the top MI options Semien because of his age is most likely to take a shorter contract than the likes of Correa, Seager and Story. 

1 hour ago, greginpsca said:

I agree already have Rendon and Trout plus Ohtani to sign. Need healthy Rendon and Trout to go along with Ohtani, Walsh, Fletcher, Marsh and Adell.

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

Well if he sees himself as a SS and that's his preference going into FA, then that's all to really discuss on this matter. Case closed.

Still in order of my preferred MI options, I like Semien and then Seager. 

My guess is that if you PAY him like a SS and still want him to play 2B for some reason, he'd be more open to it, but that's just me speculating.  But again, yeah, I just don't see any reason to mess with things if he were to be brought in.  Fletcher has spent more time in the majors at 2B and Semien has spent more time at SS--and they're both superior defenders at those positions, so don't rock the boat.

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

I don't understand why some think Semian might take a shorter deal?  He's entering his age 31 season and coming off a near 7 WAR season.  I'm guessing someone gives him 9 figures.  5/125 is my guess.  

Correct. So at most he gets 5 years, but I guarantee you that Seager and Correa are going to get a 8-10 year deal. 

If I'm the Angels I'm offering Semien a rich ass 3-4 year deal. If he doesn't take it, move on. 

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Correct. So at most he gets 5 years, but I guarantee you that Seager and Correa are going to get a 8-10 year deal. 

If I'm the Angels I'm offering Semien a rich ass 3-4 year deal. If he doesn't take it, move on. 

so you think both will be in the 250+ mil range?  Maybe

at the end of the day I don't see the Angels investing 100+m on a SS.   I'd actually be ok with it if that meant getting Semian instead of spending on one of the top 3 or 4 pitchers below Scherzer.  I like Semien better than Gausman, Ray and Stroman personally.