• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB to begin providing housing for all minor leaguers starting in 2022

mmc

12 hours ago, Tank said:

my suggestion when the housing nonsense first surfaced was that teams should buy apartment buildings for their players. i still feel that way. it's cheap for the team, and for the players it's decent temporary housing. they should be fully furnished, too.

and what do they do with the empty units in the off season?  Who is going to lease an apartment for just a few months?  They'd also have to hire people to manage and maintain those buildings, etc.  I think it's easier to just find places for the players to stay in for six months.

I think @Redondo found the answer to this housing/food thing...

22 hours ago, Redondo said:
The Toyota 'Tacozilla' is the coolest off-road camper you'll see today

The Toyota 'Tacozilla' is the coolest off-road camper you'll see today

The automaker's motorsports tech center in Texas is building an updated version of the pickup-based camper it collaborated with the Chinook RV company on in the 1970s that will be unveiled at the SEMA auto show in Las Vegas this November.

tacozilla-3.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

A rendering of the Tacoma-based vehicle depicts the modern styling that the team is going for, which director of operations Marty Schwerter said will provide the kind of clearance needed for off-roading.

The team has nicknamed the creation "Tacozilla" and it includes a compartment large enough for a six-foot two-inch person to stand in, a bed over the cab, a table, a kitchenette and a toilet.

It's being built on a Tacoma TRD Sport chassis with a manual transmission and the sketches depict it with a set of oversize all-terrain tires and heavy duty suspensio

5 hours ago, True Grich said:

and what do they do with the empty units in the off season?  Who is going to lease an apartment for just a few months?  They'd also have to hire people to manage and maintain those buildings, etc.  I think it's easier to just find places for the players to stay in for six months.

i'm not a financial expert but i don't think the cost of maintaining the apartments from october-march would be a big drain on the organization. i think it'd be easier to have a guaranteed space each and every year instead of trying to find host families or whatever other process they're considering. 

and i think an organization that was willing to give gary matthews $55 mil and josh hamilton $125 mil can find somehow squeeze out $40k for someone to manage the place.

13 minutes ago, Tank said:

i'm not a financial expert but i don't think the cost of maintaining the apartments from october-march would be a big drain on the organization. i think it'd be easier to have a guaranteed space each and every year instead of trying to find host families or whatever other process they're considering. 

and i think an organization that was willing to give gary matthews $55 mil and josh hamilton $125 mil can find somehow squeeze out $40k for someone to manage the place.

You're also assuming there are actually apartment buildings to buy in each of these locations...

3 hours ago, Tank said:

Isnt albert gonna get 10 mill over the next 10 years to do "something" for the team?

Get him that tool belt Schneider used to wear on one day at a time, and put him to work. Problem solved.

5 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Isnt albert gonna get 10 mill over the next 10 years to do "something" for the team?

Get him that tool belt Schneider used to wear on one day at a time, and put him to work. Problem solved.

Mang can’t hammer like he used to and hopefully, he’s done screwing the Angels.

Edited by True Grich

If teams provide housing as opposed to a stipend, I assume they currently get a stipend for just housing as part of the benefits package, I am concerned that it could impact the players’ salary.  It would be nice if it didn’t but not counting on it.

On 10/17/2021 at 10:21 PM, Tank said:

my suggestion when the housing nonsense first surfaced was that teams should buy apartment buildings for their players. i still feel that way. it's cheap for the team, and for the players it's decent temporary housing. they should be fully furnished, too.

Fantastic idea! Basically, it should be like a dormitory. 

1 hour ago, HanfordGuy said:

I went to the MLB website to see if there was clarification. There wasn’t. My guess is maybe they start with AAA affiliates. It would suck if they only did it for high draft picks.

I actually wonder if maybe they meant the opposite.  Like tying it to either draft position or bonus amount (e.g., you'd only get housing support if you're drafted in the 5th round or after, or your signing bonus is less than $50K [I literally just made up those numbers as examples...not suggesting those are the best thresholds, etc.]).

12 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I actually wonder if maybe they meant the opposite.  Like tying it to either draft position or bonus amount (e.g., you'd only get housing support if you're drafted in the 5th round or after, or your signing bonus is less than $50K [I literally just made up those numbers as examples...not suggesting those are the best thresholds, etc.]).

We don’t have enough information but with the rearrangement (contraction?) of the minor leagues there should be money to give them a bit more than previously.  I’d like to see a player have the chance to use a separate than salary stipend either to stay in the team’s housing or make other arrangements.

Ok, so 25-30 man rosters on each squad, 4 squads, 4 cities. Plus your minor league complex.

I'd say that you could build a 10 @ 3 bedroom apartment complex in each of them even on a parking lot of the stadium, for a max of $150 per sq ft, at maybe 1200 sq ft per apartment. So you'd be looking at 180,000 x 10, or 1.80M per squad, one time charge. 

Furnishing may be a bit more expensive, so call it $2M per. 

It's a $10M investment, one time. There will be maintenance and future furniture charges, but that's negligible. Get the players good mattresses, and invest in good kitchens and workout facilities on the apartment building ground.

And you can possibly rent the apartments out to the players in the offseason, at a negligible rate, as nothing says you have to house them from October to March. 

This is good for all minor leaguers and you probably don't even have to do it for AAA guys who are on 40-man roster. They make substantially more than the guys in what was Low A, High A, and AAA. Plus the complex guys.