• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB to begin providing housing for all minor leaguers starting in 2022

mmc

56 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I paid one off and my score went down by 40 points. Not joking.

Closing accounts, dings you.   Opening too many accounts within a certain amount of time, dings you..   Most of the FICO systems allow for what is called rate shopping, basically it's a window where say you're trying to refinance or purchase a home and you're talking to multiple banks -- but if you go outside of that window you get royally screwed because the systems go from counting multiple checks as a single inquiry to counting them ALL..

• 3 weeks later...

Full details of the agreement are laid out here:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/leases-no-more-mlb-teams-now-responsible-for-minor-league-housing/

"In September, owners approved a policy in which teams would be required to provide housing for all of their minor league players. On Thursday, a memo was sent to general managers, assistant general managers and farm directors outlining the details of that policy.

Housing permitted for minor leaguers during the regular season will include apartments and rental homes, while host families are still permitted provided all members of the family pass a background check. Any of these options must be located within a reasonable distance from the player’s home ballpark. Housing options during spring training can include dormitories and hotel rooms.

Notably, the memo notes that leases are not permitted. Players will not sign any lease or utility agreements. Those will now be the responsibility of the major league team. That is an important development for minor league players—leases often remained in a player’s name after they were promoted or demoted, requiring them to pay for their lease at their previous level in addition to their new level.

The housing policy does not apply to players on major league contracts or those making more than $20,000 per month.

All housing options must include a bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and a shared living space, and all bedrooms must include one bed per player with no more than two players per bedroom.

Accommodations must also include all typical appliances (which are not defined). Air conditioning is optional depending on the normal summer climate of the team’s home city. All accommodations must include furnishings including, but not limited to, tables, chairs, sofas and a television, as well as cookware, silverware and linens.

Clubs are also responsible for paying for basic utilities, including electricity, water and WiFi. Clubs will not be required to pay for cable or streaming services like Netflix.

Players may also opt out of these arrangements, albeit at their own expense. Clubs may establish their own policy toward handling any damages that occur to a player’s housing, but they may not require a player to pay, either directly or through payroll deduction, any part of the cost associated with meeting the minimum standards.

If no housing is available that meets the above standards, then a club may also pay for hotel rooms for players. A separate set of visiting hotel standards is forthcoming, and any hotel rooms used in lieu of accommodations at home will also be required to meet those regulations."

34 minutes ago, True Grich said:

MLB clubs aren't paying for streaming services? Oh, the humanity! This is an outrage!

What??? Owners can afford to pay for streaming services!!!  And what about XBoxes????  They can obviously also afford those too.  And what about Axe body spray?  Is that really too much to ask from these mean billionaires?

• 2 months later...

https://theathletic.com/3130271/2022/02/15/we-are-making-pennies-for-many-minor-leaguers-unpaid-offseasons-prove-more-grueling-than-the-actual-seasons/?source=emp_shared_article

Some excerpts for those who don't have access to the article:

"If MLB paid all 6,500 MiLB players (that includes the Dominican summer league and short season) a $2000 stipend just for spring training it would cost the league a total of $13 million, or each of the 30 teams $433,333. That’s still significantly less than the cost of one big-league player on the minimum salary.

“What job do you know that asks you to work (from) 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. and doesn’t pay you? Those are the spring hours,” Hutchinson said. “It really does bother me because a lot of guys who get out (of the game) don’t have the voice or the opportunity to speak on what happens to them. The fact that MLB thought they could say (players are being paid by opportunity) is absolutely fucking ridiculous.”

"Work visas for international players are very specific, so if players want to stay in the U.S. and work out at the team complex in the winter, their only option for income is to get an illegal job. Teams are aware of this and often look the other way. If they go home, these players often struggle to find the extra money or facilities needed to improve their performance.

“Whatever American players deal with,” Lovegrove said, “the Latin players deal with a higher degree of difficulty.”

"So why aren’t more teams investing in uncovering hidden assets? Many people in front offices –who value their minor-league system more than ever before– would be in favor of improved conditions and year-round pay. An improved minor-league system could pay serious dividends at the big-league level. Clubs have recently ramped up offseason camps, inviting players to come work on things like velocity or bat paths. Many offer a setup at their complex where players can at least live and get some of their meals covered. But paying them year-round?

“That’s way above my pay grade,” said a player development person for an NL club. “The simple answer is, owners don’t have to. And teams don’t care as much because the guys who are in the dire situations were typically not investments in the first place. If they work, they work, but they are viewed as fodder for the guys we paid money to get better.”

"Players believe even small steps forward are progress.

“There’s a lot of really good people doing really good work in front offices, but there needs to be some standard set (about paying guys year-round). And when I say standard I mean mandate,” Rosenberg said. “It’s frustrating because it’s not that much money. It’s almost laughable.”

“It took me a long time,” Hildenberger said, “to realize that your organization does not care about you or your family or (your) well being.”

One player interviewed by The Athletic is going into his first spring training. He’s been working full-time at a restaurant, driving his parents’ car until he gets his nightly tip money to put into his own gas tank. He can’t wait to start his pro career, but he’s not that excited about spring training: he’s heard that’s the toughest part.

“I didn’t realize we didn’t get paid,” he said sheepishly. “Isn’t that illegal?”

Not in baseball."

Once again a huge piece is missing in the discussion of pay for minor leaguers.

Signing bonuses.

1st rounders get $2m to $8m.

2nd rounders get $1m to $2m.

3rd rounders get $500k to $900k.

4th rounders get $400k to $500k.

5th rounders get $300k to $400k.

If a guy spend 4 years in the minors, that 5th rounder was paid $90,000 per year from his signing bonus ALONE and he got it up front.

It’s just mathematically dishonest to talk about these players working for free.  They signed the contract with that guaranteed money paid up front and then they claim “I wasn’t paid for Spring Training” in their third year?

I am all for looking deep into how to make any change that makes sense, but can we at least try to look at these things in a context that is even close to accurate?

Edited by Dtwncbad

10 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Signing bonuses.

If a guy spend 4 years in the minors, that 5th rounder was paid $90,000 per year from his signing bonus ALONE and he got it up front.

It’s just mathematically dishonest to talk about these players working for free.  They signed the contract with that guaranteed money paid up front and then they claim “I wasn’t paid for Spring Training” in their third year?

I am all for looking deep into how to make any change that makes sense, but can we at least try to look at these things in a context that is even close to accurate?

They should be paid minimum wage at least. Bonuses paid years earlier do not help with living expenses.

10 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Signing bonuses.

You clearly haven't read the article--or, if you did, you're willfully ignoring the content.

57 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Owners earned every cent they have.

So have players. One side wants to eliminate jobs of minor leaguers and decimate their families and those of the local communities who like and support minor league ball.

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

You clearly haven't read the article--or, if you did, you're willfully ignoring the content.

You are right I didn’t read the article in your link.

I was responding to the actual content of what you posted where a player complains about not getting paid for spring training.