• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB to begin providing housing for all minor leaguers starting in 2022

mmc

9 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

But where is the motivation for most of these teams? You have your high draft picks locked in and invested in. You have $200 mill in your pocket before you sell your first ticket. You have talented major league players available at league minimum every off season. How many more Jared Walsh's are really out there, and is there any real benefit for teams that invest it finding them?

that's truly the question they have asked themselves and I think we have our answer.  Because anything they would provide could only subjectively correlate to an improved yield.  

But...the amount of yield you'd need to make it worthwhile seems pretty low to me.  Let's say it were one player every other draft class.  Wouldn't that offset the couple mil a year spent on creating a more specific program?  

Again, I don't know but I'm a bit surprised none of the teams have even tried.  

19 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

Most of the minor league players need to also be clear eyed about what their prospects are and whether they think can manage with an organization that won’t provide the above.  If it’s the case that they can’t then like the rest of us they’ve got to consider when to stop chasing dreams or whatever and go be miserable working until they drop dead.  That’s the way it is.  That’s better than letting yourself be exploited imo.  But that’s their choice to make. 

I work with a guy that was in the Royals' organization in the early 2000's. He made it to AA and I asked him why he quit baseball and he said that he needed a better income and he knew he really didn't have all the tools required to make a living playing baseball. He doesn't have any regrets either 

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

But...the amount of yield you'd need to make it worthwhile seems pretty low to me.  Let's say it were one player every other draft class.  Wouldn't that offset the couple mil a year spent on creating a more specific program?  

It would, but I think what we've seen is most teams opting instead to simply not invest that money in anything.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Dochalo said:

so Joey - as the farm director, what does your job entail?

Joe - so I pretty much direct the farm.  and, like, the front office group hired me and when the farm needs it, I provide direction.  

Ha ha.  Pretty much.  But, yeah, that was a truly embarrassing sequence of "answers."

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

so Joey - as the farm director, what does your job entail?

Joe - so I pretty much direct the farm.  and, like, the front office group hired me and when the farm needs it, I provide direction.  

My uncle used to claim he worked for a PR firm (he didn’t - he worked the loading dock for a retail store). When asked what he did there he would reply in a very frustrated voice that “public relations is public relations!” Apparently he also mentored the Angels farm director.

On 2/23/2022 at 10:12 AM, Dochalo said:

that's truly the question they have asked themselves and I think we have our answer.  Because anything they would provide could only subjectively correlate to an improved yield.  

Again, I don't know but I'm a bit surprised none of the teams have even tried.  

"That's the kind of nuanced, long-term thinking we don't tolerate around here - you're fired" - Arte, Probably

Arte needs only look at a team like the Dodgers whose yield probably justifies their spend level, because of the additional revenues being competitive and playing in the post-season.  Where to invest?  It's impossible for us to know - but for the cost of Hamilton or Wells' contracts, he could funded improved scouting and development systems for the next fifty years. 

Find an extra 2-4 WAR player every 2 years, you'd pay for any increased investment and then some.    

• 4 weeks later...

"Beds are typically small, in many cases twin-sized, and in some instances there are up to six players — two per room — sharing one apartment. Improvements have been made in increasing the quantity and quality of food, but there’s still work to be done, players say.

“They’re just hitting all the checkmarks just to, you know, get by,” one Angels minor leaguer said. “And most people know that Angels minor leaguers are on the bottom, while our (franchise) is (valued in the top 10).

“Like last year,” said Minor League Advocates executive director Harry Marino, “it appears that the Angels are near the bottom of the league when it comes to the treatment of minor-league players.”