• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB to begin providing housing for all minor leaguers starting in 2022

mmc

4 minutes ago, Hubs said:

They should be paid minimum wage at least. Bonuses paid years earlier do not help with living expenses.

How about no more signing bonuses at all and they get a salary each year for the first four years that would add up to what the signing bonus would have been?

26 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

You clearly haven't read the article--or, if you did, you're willfully ignoring the content.

Now I also clicked and started reading (until it asked for money) the article.

The article is about poor Donnie Sellers and how he has to work for money.

Sellers was drafted in the 11th round and got a signing bonus of $125,000.

This is a guy that was a relief pitcher in college with an ERA over 5.

No he didn’t get a $2m signing bonus and not even the $300-400k a fifth rounder gets.

But he is an 11th round pick.  If his $125k is gone after three years in the minors, then he probably should pivot out of baseball and go do something else as he is at best a long shot to make the majors.

$125k divided by three years is $42k a year.

Yes after like 6 years the amount starts to end up so low that I can start feeling sorry for him. But he isn’t going to be in the minors for that long as a post college player 11th rounder.

A guy like this makes it in 3 years, maybe 4 years tops or he is out of the game.

So the link actually provided a nice example of the low end of drafted players that still get some money up front.

It supports my point that the discussion of minor league pay is flawed unless we take into consideration the signing bonuses.

Edited by Dtwncbad

32 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

You are right I didn’t read the article in your link.

I was responding to the actual content of what you posted where a player complains about not getting paid for spring training.

How do you know where he was drafted and how much his bonus was, given that he's not named?

Of the players mentioned by name in the article, one was a 12th-rounder who got a$360K bonus out of high school 5 years ago, one was an 8th-rounder out of college who got $167K 6 years ago, one was an 11th-rounder out of college who got a $125K bonus 5 years ago, another was a 16th-round pick 10 years ago who got a $100K bonus, one was a 22nd-round pick 4 years ago who got a $1,500 bonus, another was a 22nd-rounder 8 years ago who has made it to the majors, but has no bonus listed in his draft status, and two were undrafted free agents (so probably got $1,000 and/or a plane ticket to camp).

Kieran Lovegrove, who has been the most vocal about getting help for minor leaguers, seems to be the highest bonus, at $400K.  He's now using his voice to help others.

Yes, you can easily say, "If they're not making enough money to survive, they should quit."  But the larger point (at least to me) is that if major league teams are exploiting' the players labor in some form or fashion, it doesn't seem unreasonable to ask that the MLB parent teams provide more financial support.

Also, even someone with a $200K bonus isn't exactly rolling in dough once you factor in taxes, agent commissions, etc., and the extremely low salaries they make during the minor league year.

Edited by jsnpritchett

3 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

How do you know where he was drafted and how much his bonus was, given that he's not named?

Of the players mentioned by name in the article, one was a 12th-rounder who got a$360K bonus out of high school 5 years ago, one was an 8th-rounder out of college who got $167K 6 years ago, one was an 11th-rounder out of college who got a $125K bonus 5 years ago, another was a 16th-round pick 10 years ago who got a $100K bonus, one was a 22nd-round pick 4 years ago who got a $1,500 bonus, another was a 22nd-rounder 8 years ago who has made it to the majors, but has no bonus listed in his draft status, and two were undrafted free agents (so probably got $1,000 and/or a plane ticket to camp).

Kieran Lovegrove, who has been the most vocal about getting help for minor leaguers, seems to be the highest bonus, at $400K.  He's now using his voice to help others.

Yes, you can easily say, "If they're not making enough money to survive, they should quit."  But the larger point (at least to me) is that if major league teams are exploiting the players labor in some form or fashion, it doesn't seem unreasonable to ask that the MLB parent teams provide more financial support.

Also, even someone with a $200K bonus isn't exactly rolling in dough once you factor in taxes, agent commissions, etc., and the extremely low salaries they make during the minor league year.

Screenshot_20220215-151730.png

35 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Yes, you can easily say, "If they're not making enough money to survive, they should quit."  But the larger point (at least to me) is that if major league teams are exploiting' the players labor in some form or fashion, it doesn't seem unreasonable to ask that the MLB parent teams provide more financial support.

We agree!  But it is not really a fair look at their compensation to ignore signing bonuses and say “They are not paid for spring training.”

20 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

We agree!  But it is not really a fair look at their compensation to ignore signing bonuses and say “They are not paid for spring training.”

Yes it is. If my job gives me a $5,000 bonus in December but then says, "By the way, we're not paying you for the hours you work in March," then I'm not being paid for my labor in March.

Where does money go? Did he pay taxes? agent fees? Buy a new glove and a couple pairs of spikes? Is he insured in the off season or does he have to pay for COBRA? Maybe minor league teams also require a suit and tie on road trips. Under 25 and single his car insurance is probably pretty high. 

There are state and federal taxes on that 395K, nearly 40 percent.  That is about 158,000.  That leaves 237,000 of the original 395K divided by the seven years, or about 34000 per year.  If he buys anything else, that number goes way down.

The players in the minors work incredibly long hours, and days, for what they are paid.