• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Joe Maddon on the state of the Angels

mmc

11 hours ago, Trendon said:

Does the organization recognize that the defensive positioning and defense has been bad this year? And will it be addressed during the offseason, whether it's changing personnel or shifting strategies?

Does the organization overvalue makeup and clubhouse presence, with those intangibles allowing underperforming players to keep a roster spot when their performance may not merit it?

Neither of these are questions based on facts. They are questions based on your opinion.

On the first one, you could say: Your overall run prevention obviously has been poor, so how much of that do you attribute to the positioning and shifts?

On the second: Do you think you put too much emphasis on makeup and clubhouse presence in building the roster and determining playing time? (Obviously they are going to say no.)

8 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Neither of these are questions based on facts. They are questions based on your opinion.

On the first one, you could say: Your overall run prevention obviously has been poor, so how much of that do you attribute to the positioning and shifts?

On the second: Do you think you put too much emphasis on makeup and clubhouse presence in building the roster and determining playing time? (Obviously they are going to say no.)

Does the organization realize that a good portion of the fan base is so tired of losing that they now always automatically irrationally assume a systemic problem within the organization on literally any subject or anecdotal iota of data?

Probably not.  Typical dysfunctional Angels.

Edited by Dtwncbad

14 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Here’s the whole thing

Q: How much did Reid position himself for next year?

A: It’s hard to say. He didn’t really have a solid chance. The COVID thing really did hurt him in regards to his development. I don’t know. That would be an off-season discussion. I thought he represented himself well, but he didn’t dominate either. Listen, what’s your agenda next year? Is it to participate in the AL West and possibly make it to the end and play a game in October? That should never be the situation. My point is you have to get guys that we think are ready to win right now in that rotation in order to get where you want to be. Otherwise you’re going to keep perpetuating this.

Sounds completely reasonable.

For everyone involved.

21 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Does the organization realize that a good portion of the fan base is so tired of losing that they now always automatically irrationally assume a systemic problem within the organization on literally any subject or anecdotal iota of data?

Probably not.  Typical dysfunctional Angels.

Good portion?   What is a good portion?   It's a small portion, that's for sure.   

10 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I would be most interested in how the organization evaluates their own decisions and how often.  If their answer is the typical dysfunctional response of "We are constantly looking at how we can make the organization better and win games" then they really don't understand how to break the mediocrity cycle.

14 minutes ago, Dollar Bill said:

More from Maddon, and in particular on this issue: Sure the Angels need top-tier pitchers, but why would top-tier pitchers sign with a team that hasn't won a postseason game since 2009?

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/story/2021-09-24/angels-mariners-top-pitchers-free-agency-joe-maddon 

Ask Zack Wheeler.

On 9/22/2021 at 7:28 PM, Stradling said:

So he must feel very comfortable to feel like he can say these things.  Obviously I’ve been outspoken about Joe, but I look at this as him calling for more talent.  

So, I'm confused, Given that pitching has been a chronic problem for awhile...did he ask for more at the start of this season? As, I don't think that he did & if so...it's strange coming from the guy who advocated for the Angels to waste 8 million on Quintana. Who, if I remember right...thought he would be their "innings eater". Plus, what's also weird...if he's indeed calling out Perry here (as he should given that he & his staff didn't produce any more/better than Eppler did alone) whose decision was it to let an inexperienced coach (Wise) have the job after Callaway was dismissed?  

On 9/25/2021 at 10:00 AM, eligrba said:

I would be most interested in how the organization evaluates their own decisions and how often.  If their answer is the typical dysfunctional response of "We are constantly looking at how we can make the organization better and win games" then they really don't understand how to break the mediocrity cycle.

What are they supposed to say to that question?

52 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

What are they supposed to say to that question?

I guess whether the organization has a mechanism in place to essentially audit or review baseball decisions.  I assume there is such a mechanism in place on the business side serving as a protective measure because the baseball folks seem to waste buckets of money. 

On 9/24/2021 at 11:49 AM, Trendon said:

Does the organization recognize that the defensive positioning and defense has been bad this year? And will it be addressed during the offseason, whether it's changing personnel or shifting strategies?

I was looking up something else and decided to look this up for you...

Angels opponents hit .269 on their ground balls when the Angels were playing a standard defense and they hit .224 on their ground balls when the Angels were using a shift.

(Also the team that shifted the most this year is the Dodgers. The Angels are 7th.)

Edited by Jeff Fletcher