• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Mariners @ Angels (7/17/21): Cobb on the mound, Ward back in RF

You know you've effed up as the GM when....

- Phil Gosselin is your cleanup hitter and starting in LF.

- Jack Mayfield is your starting 3B and you've effectively nutured your AL team into an NL team.

- Juan Lagares has started the most games in CF. 

- You're depending on Dylan Bundy and Jose Quintana in crucial late game moments. 

Perry Minasian has completely failed in his first year as GM. The only bright spots on this team are more the results of Eppler's team building rather than Minasian's. 

Don't get me wrong, it was time for a new GM. But Perry Minasian so far appears to be no better than his predecessors. And that's a low bar for the most part. 

5 minutes ago, Second Base said:

You know you've effed up as the GM when....

- Phil Gosselin is your cleanup hitter and starting in LF.

- Jack Mayfield is your starting 3B and you've effectively nutured your AL team into an NL team.

- Juan Lagares has started the most games in CF. 

- You're depending on Dylan Bundy and Jose Quintana in crucial late game moments. 

Perry Minasian has completely failed in his first year as GM. The only bright spots on this team are more the results of Eppler's team building rather than Minasian's. 

Don't get me wrong, it was time for a new GM. But Perry Minasian so far appears to be no better than his predecessors. And that's a low bar for the most part. 

not to make excuses, but we're missing 4 of our starting 9 from opening day.  I think a better way to say it would be that if Gosselin, Mayfield and Lagares are starting for you regularly then you've sustained some fairly catastrophic injuries.  

Minasian has failed so far at giving this team a capable pen though.  I agree with that.  

Typically you can get 3 or so effective relievers without much of a problem.  He pretty much got us 1.  

10 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Ok so any reason Eaton isn't starting? I don't care who is pitching for the M's. 

Well, then you're not going to like the answer--but it's precisely because Kikuchi is starting. Maddon said a couple days ago that he'd sit Eaton against some tough lefties. You can argue the merits of that strategy, but Maddon is doing exactly what he said he'd do. 

6 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Well, then you're not going to like the answer--but it's precisely because Kikuchi is starting. Maddon said a couple days ago that he'd sit Eaton against some tough lefties. You can argue the merits of that strategy, but Maddon is doing exactly what he said he'd do. 

not much to argue with that 110 point ops split vs. lefties in his career and over 200 points this year in a small sample.  

8 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Maddon can lick my taint. 

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

And Eatons splits versus LHP's back it up. But I don't know that Ward can do any better at this point. Ward's splits don't really improve versus LHP's.

Quite frankly I would rather have Jose Rojas up here for third base than Mayfield.  Mayfield shouldn't be anywhere near a major league team.  I don't believe this is a Maddon problem, it's a Minasian problem.  And I agree most of this is rooted in three of your highest paid players sitting on the injured list for long periods of time, it's catastrophic!

It's a part of the game to properly prepare yourself as a player to remain on the field for most of the year, even if it means you dial it back to some degree.  Garret Anderson was a great example, he found a way to remain playable and avoid injuries to the best extent possible, because not playing at all is a big step down from playing with less risk to injury.