• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mike Trout, part-time player

all star thumbs down GIF by MLB

[VENT]

Since 2017, the Angels have played 635 games; Trout's played 477 of them, or 75.1%. That's right: the so-called best player in the game has been a three-quarters-time player for half of his career (the last five of ten seasons).

Remember when this guy was the best player in baseball? If he can't stay healthy, how can he be the best player?

I'm bitching, I know, but his slow recovery is frustrating and, given that he hasn't even started running, I don't see him returning for weeks to come.

He's now down to 10th in the majors in WAR over the last two seasons. I know, injury. But that's part of the picture. Tatis Jr leads all players with 6.9 WAR over 2020-21. Trout's at 4.8, tied with Vlad Jr. All the guys ahead of him have between 128-148 games played, while Trout's at 89.

If we dial back to include 2019, he returns to first with 13.3 WAR, but Semien and Bogaerts (12.7) will probably pass him before he gets back.

really hope he gets through this soon and somehow manages to nix the injury bug. If not, It may be time to pass the mantle along ("mantle" is rather appropriate, at this point).

[/VENT]

Just so you know I still love him, this is impressive:

His 477 games played from 2017-21 is tied for 114th among all position players, yet he still leads in WAR with 29.7.

2017-21 WAR and games played

1. 29.7 Trout 477 games
  2. 27.8 Betts 573 games
  3. 24.5 J Ramirez 578 games
  4. 23.4 Rendon 539 games
  5. 22.0 Judge 481 games
  6. 22.0 Yelich 550 games

17 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I think we can trace it back to one of your first Troutstanding threads. 

#thejinxisreal

Yes. I am personally responsible for keeping him from playing 158 games over the last five seasons. I have that kind of mojo.

#dontfuckwithme

Edited by Angelsjunky

6 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

I've been handing out these bon mots for well over a decade here AND YOU ARE JUST REALIZING IT??

I'm hurt.

Damnit! I've been save bon mots for a good while now. Screw it, I'm just going to watch the British Open today. 

And England v Pakistan T320 match.

Thanks for nothing.

10 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

[VENT]

Since 2017, the Angels have played 635 games; Trout's played 477 of them, or 75.1%. That's right: the so-called best player in the game has been a three-quarters-time player for half of his career (the last five of ten seasons).

Remember when this guy was the best player in baseball? If he can't stay healthy, how can he be the best player?

I'm bitching, I know, but his slow recovery is frustrating and, given that he hasn't even started running, I don't see him returning for weeks to come.

He's now down to 10th in the majors in WAR over the last two seasons. I know, injury. But that's part of the picture. Tatis Jr leads all players with 6.9 WAR over 2020-21. Trout's at 4.8, tied with Vlad Jr. All the guys ahead of him have between 128-148 games played, while Trout's at 89.

If we dial back to include 2019, he returns to first with 13.3 WAR, but Semien and Bogaerts (12.7) will probably pass him before he gets back.

really hope he gets through this soon and somehow manages to nix the injury bug. If not, It may be time to pass the mantle along ("mantle" is rather appropriate, at this point).

[/VENT]

There's no doubt that Trout was the best player in all of baseball from 2013-2019. I can't say for certain that he had that title in 2012 because that was only his first great season as a player up to that point. Wit that being said, Trout was the best player in all of MLB in the 2010s unanimously. But still, being the best player in the whole sport for a decade is still something that shouldn't be taken for granted. Not many sport athletes could say that they were the best player in their sport for a decade, as well as the obvious pick. In the NFL, it was Montana in the 1980s. In the NBA, we have Kareem in the 1970s, Jordan in the 1990s, and LeBron in the 2010s. There's no unanimous best NBA player in the 1980s because it's a two-man race between Magic and Bird. I could see why some people might have Bird over Magic in the 1980s. Both guys were smart, excellent rebounders, and terrific passers of the basketball. Magic, however, didn't have the ability to play good defense or shoot the ball well like Bird. You can say that Bird was the better player overall. Same with the 2000s, two-man race between Duncan and Kobe. Shaq was only great for like half of the 2000s, dropped off a bit after 2005. 

Where do you have Trout right now among the best player in all of baseball? If you ask me this question after 2019, he would easily be first. Now? I'm not sure. But who cares, man. There's always going to a point where Trout wasn't going to be the top do anymore. Let whoever is the currently best player in all of baseball, if it's not Trout, have their moment. But he can never accomplish what Trout did in the 2010s. Kareem had to give up the mantle of being the clear-cut best NBA player because of slowing down somewhat but a big reason was because Magic and Bird burst onto the scenes starting in the 1979-80 season. Jordan had to give up that mantle but he was old. So did LeBron, old age and a rising star like Giannis. 

Trout getting injured a lot since 2017 sucks. There was always gong to be that chance that he breaks the all-time home run record but it's getting slimmer and slimmer right now. On the bright side, he's going to finish, at worst, tied for the most legit MVPs in MLB history with guys like Bonds, Schmidt, and Yogi, which is great company. On the bright side, at least his chances of breaking the all-time strikeout record of 2,597 by Reggie are getting slimmer and slimmer. But in the case that he does break it, lets just say that he wasn't afraid to fail and was good at baseball for a long time like Reggie was. 

2 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

There's no doubt that Trout was the best player in all of baseball from 2013-2019. I can't say for certain that he had that title in 2012 because that was only his first great season as a player up to that point. Wit that being said, Trout was the best player in all of MLB in the 2010s unanimously. But still, being the best player in the whole sport for a decade is still something that shouldn't be taken for granted. Not many sport athletes could say that they were the best player in their sport for a decade, as well as the obvious pick. In the NFL, it was Montana in the 1980s. In the NBA, we have Kareem in the 1970s, Jordan in the 1990s, and LeBron in the 2010s. There's no unanimous best NBA player in the 1980s because it's a two-man race between Magic and Bird. I could see why some people might have Bird over Magic in the 1980s. Both guys were smart, excellent rebounders, and terrific passers of the basketball. Magic, however, didn't have the ability to play good defense or shoot the ball well like Bird. You can say that Bird was the better player overall. Same with the 2000s, two-man race between Duncan and Kobe. Shaq was only great for like half of the 2000s, dropped off a bit after 2005. 

Where do you have Trout right now among the best player in all of baseball? If you ask me this question after 2019, he would easily be first. Now? I'm not sure. But who cares, man. There's always going to a point where Trout wasn't going to be the top do anymore. Let whoever is the currently best player in all of baseball, if it's not Trout, have their moment. But he can never accomplish what Trout did in the 2010s. Kareem had to give up the mantle of being the clear-cut best NBA player because of slowing down somewhat but a big reason was because Magic and Bird burst onto the scenes starting in the 1979-80 season. Jordan had to give up that mantle but he was old. So did LeBron, old age and a rising star like Giannis. 

Trout getting injured a lot since 2017 sucks. There was always gong to be that chance that he breaks the all-time home run record but it's getting slimmer and slimmer right now. On the bright side, he's going to finish, at worst, tied for the most legit MVPs in MLB history with guys like Bonds, Schmidt, and Yogi, which is great company. On the bright side, at least his chances of breaking the all-time strikeout record of 2,597 by Reggie are getting slimmer and slimmer. But in the case that he does break it, lets just say that he wasn't afraid to fail and was good at baseball for a long time like Reggie was. 

What is so frustrating is that he's actually been a better hitter from 2017 on, so his "decline" is solely about injuries, not performance (so far).

And if he had played at least 140 games every year and with a full season last year, he'd probably have around 90 WAR by now.

That said, I'd still call him the best in the game. I don't think you can call a player the best until he's played two, even three, seasons. Among the contenders, in order of likelihood of being the next "best player in the game," we have:

1. Fernando Tatis Jr: Probably the most likely choice, Tatis is just..dynamic. But he hasn't played a full season yet, being called up in mid-2019 and then covid. But he's got 4.0 WAR through 74 games played this year and is only 22. 
  2. Ronald Acuna Jr: Out for the year, so his crowning--even if he deserved it--would be postponed. He still hasn't had that breakthough "mega-star" (8+ WAR) year, but is only 23 and very, very good. If he has another octave, he is a serious contender.
  3. Shohei Ohtani: Leads the majors in combined WAR (5.5) due to being the second best hitter this year after Vlad Jr, and being a very good pitcher, if in somewhat limited time. But let's revisit this a year from now; if he finishes strongly, say with 8+ combined WAR and looks good this time next year, he might earn the crown.
  4. Vlad Guerrero Jr: He's been the best hitter in baseball this year, his 189 wRC+ edging out Shohei's 181. Meaning, he's been peak Trout with the bat, but plays 1B - so, like the next guy, might be more of a candidate for best hitter than best player. 
  5. Juan Soto: Before the season started, he was right there with Acuna and Tatis, and the guy some thought was already the best hitter in the game, with a Ruthian 201 wRC+ last year. But he's had an off year, and his power has really diminished. But at 22, he'll probably bounce back, but like Vlad, has defensive limitations, although seems to have improved.

Honorable Mentions:

Wander Franco: Very young (20) and too soon to tell, but this guy can hit--or will hit--and plays a decent SS and 3B. But he'll need some time to adjust to the majors, and by the time he reaches prime form, may be vying to steal the crown from Acuna or Tatis, not Trout.

Mookie Betts: His numbers are down this year (.256/.366/.472), but he's still managed 2.5 WAR. But it doesn't look like he'll repeat his Troutian 2018, or possibly even 2016. Plus, he's being passed by younger guys, so I don't see him taking the mantle. 

Christian Yelich: I only mention him because if he was the guy he was in 2018-19 (15.5 WAR), he might be the top candidate. But he really dropped off last year, and hasn't improved this year. I'm not sure what happened to him, but he's a completely different player and has almost no chance of becoming the best in the game. Same age as Trout.

Cody Bellinger: Yeah, right. Just messin with y'all.

1 minute ago, PattyD22 said:

British Open…..The Open Championship…

I can’t keep this straight.

Which one is it @WicketMaiden?

Like Lou, I still call it The British Open, but I’m from the old school.

Yeah, same here. When they don't need us to bail them out in a war, they can call it what they want.

And, no, the Falklands doesn't count.