• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dylan Bundy

The guy deserves his own thread. Finally, the Angels have an ace.

Oh, wait, that was last year. Oh, well. From 2.0 WAR in 11 starts last year to 0.1 in 10 starts this year. And he's getting worse - his ERA is now at 6.49 (ok, it was 6.50 before today). Early in the season, his FIP was way below his ERA, now his FIP is rising faster than his ERA, now up to 5.10. Meaning, it is becoming less about bad luck and defense and more about just bad pitching.

The weird thing is that his peripherals are somewhat similar:

2020: 9.87 K/9, 2.33 B/9

2021: 9.29 K/9, 2.63 B/9

So both rates have gotten worse, but not hugely so. The biggest noticeable difference is a HR/9 rate of 0.69 last year to 2.10 this year (!). The only other difference I note from a cursory look at his stats is that he's using his fastball and curveball a bit more, his slider and changeup a bit less. 

Anyhow, is there any player in baseball that saw his projected free agent contract go down more than Bundy? Before this year, I would have thought a 5/$60M extension would be a bargain and that if he solidified last year's performance over a full season, he could have earned 5/$75M or more. Now I think he'll have to settle for something like 1/$8M to re-establish his value, unless of course he turns things around.

I think along with Trout's injury and Rendon's performance, Bundy has been one of the three biggest disappointments this season.

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

He’s getting beat on his shitty fastball which for some reason he’s throwing more this year.  He was successful last year because he limited his fastball usage. 

That's probably true, but probably not enough to explain his utter plummet. Maybe he got a boner about his increased velo, then that dropped back to norm and he kept throwing the meatballs.

2 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Doc mentioned in the offsesson he pegged (gross) Bundy for regression.... being that hes usually right about such things, Im not too surprised with this

yah.  I was right about the one guy I was bearish on and have been getting my ass kicked on other like quintana.  I also thought Canning would start turning a corner and throwing more meaningful strikes ie improve his command and I'm really hoping that happens because I think his ceiling is still pretty high because of the quality of all four of his pitches.  He's just got to start throwing the ball where it needs to go more often.  And I was wholly wrong about Cobb.  And Jose Iglesias. 

I was touting Walsh since 2017. 
I was meh on Fletch until he got called up.   I still like him but I really hate if he's gonna be some contact guy.  He needs to walk 80 times a year and I think he's got that in him.  
I still think Taylor Ward is gonna have some good seasons for someone. 
I've had a man crush on Rodriguez since the draft. 
I didn't like the Jordyn Adams pick all that much.   Wished we got Gorman.  
Love me some Kyren Paris. 
Bearish on Jackson
Like Marsh but kinda think people need to slow their roll on him.  
Still like Adell but for two years from now.  
LIke Thaiss more than most.  Especially at C.   
I don't mind Heaney and think we should sign him to a three year deal.  Yah, I said that.  I think he's consistently inconsistent and sometimes that works.  
Thought our pen was gonna suck this year and would be our Achilles heel.  
Loved Nonie Williams for awhile.  
Had higher hope for Cole Duensing
Gave up on Brennon Lund but now think he can be a 4th/5th OFer 
Still like Aaron Hernandez, William Holmes and think people should remember the names Connor Van Scoyoc and Daniel Nunan from the 2018 draft.  
Hated the Will Wilson pick and hated even more that we gave up our first round pick to get rid of money.  Wanted Arte to eat his fucking brussel sprouts on that one.  
Like Rivera and Daniel
Really like our top three picks from 2020.  Especially Detmers and Blakely.  Calabrese some but not as much.  

There.  I'm on record and it's pretty much a mixed bag.  

And while I'm on a stream of consciousness red shoe diaries confession/rant, 

I'd tell Joe to stay in his lane with his f'n balloon animals and salmon croquettes and otherwise be a pretty boring on field manager and follow a very specific line
I'd tell Arte to piss off unless I need his money.  
For the rest of this year I'd put Ward in CF till Trout gets back and sit Rojas 
I'd only use Rodriguez out of the pen if it's in 3-4 inning stints and I'm getting him stretched out in the minors first.  And it's on a schedule.  Not as needed.  
I like Gosselin.  He's playing almost every day.  
And here's a news flash.  Just because Theo Eppstein said he made baseball boring, stop trying to force the game back to 1970 when we know that shit doesn't win as many games.  For now, stick with what gets you wins and let the establishment change things.  
You want to get really creative for the rest of the year?  Put Barria, Sandoval and Suarez in the rotation and tandem them with guys like Heaney and Bundy.  Yeah, that one's a little out there, but the point is to get the young guys consistent work.   Take care of the guys who you know are going to be here next year and let the others who probably want to fight for their next contract do so from the spot that might not be as comfortable for them because F them.  They're gone in a few months.  Bundy can follow Sandoval, or Barria or Suarez and force himself to get ready on short notice.  
And I'm not calling up Adell or Marsh yet.  They're not ready.  

And next year?

Here's a good one for y'all.  Since our SP is likely gonna be mediocre at best anyway, I'm sinking my entire budget into a kick ass bullpen.  Because you know there's gonna be a budget and you know that adding three to four guys at 1/8m is gonna be full on pull and pray.  So f it.  Lock down innings 6-9.  Bullpen arms aren't predictable you say?  What about 1yr deals for crappy starters?  How has that pool of hog shit treated us the last few years?  Predictability is all relative.  

And most all, someone needs to hire people that are better at their job.  And a lot of them.  Collect smart people.  No team has failed because they have too many smart people.  They fail because one person thinks they're smarter than everyone else.  No matter how much you think you know, others can help.  

So there you go.  The musings of a madman.  

10 hours ago, Stradling said:

He’s getting beat on his shitty fastball which for some reason he’s throwing more this year.  He was successful last year because he limited his fastball usage. 

This may be the case but how many other MLB pitchers have a lot of success with a crappy FB? It seems like a good FB is important for them to have 

6 hours ago, Dochalo said:

yah.  I was right about the one guy I was bearish on and have been getting my ass kicked on other like quintana.  I also thought Canning would start turning a corner and throwing more meaningful strikes ie improve his command and I'm really hoping that happens because I think his ceiling is still pretty high because of the quality of all four of his pitches.  He's just got to start throwing the ball where it needs to go more often.  And I was wholly wrong about Cobb.  And Jose Iglesias. 

I was meh on Fletch until he got called up.   I still like him but I really hate if he's gonna be some contact guy.  He needs to walk 80 times a year and I think he's got that in him.  
Bearish on Jackson
I don't mind Heaney and think we should sign him to a three year deal.  Yah, I said that.  I think he's consistently inconsistent and sometimes that works.  
Still like Aaron Hernandez, William Holmes and think people should remember the names Connor Van Scoyoc and Daniel Nunan from the 2018 draft.  
Hated the Will Wilson pick and hated even more that we gave up our first round pick to get rid of money.  Wanted Arte to eat his fucking brussel sprouts on that one.  
Like Rivera and Daniel
Really like our top three picks from 2020.  Especially Detmers and Blakely.  Calabrese some but not as much.  

I'd tell Joe to stay in his lane with his f'n balloon animals and salmon croquettes and otherwise be a pretty boring on field manager and follow a very specific line
I'd only use Rodriguez out of the pen if it's in 3-4 inning stints and I'm getting him stretched out in the minors first.  And it's on a schedule.  Not as needed.  
And here's a news flash.  Just because Theo Eppstein said he made baseball boring, stop trying to force the game back to 1970 when we know that shit doesn't win as many games.  For now, stick with what gets you wins and let the establishment change things.  
You want to get really creative for the rest of the year?  Put Barria, Sandoval and Suarez in the rotation and tandem them with guys like Heaney and Bundy.  Yeah, that one's a little out there, but the point is to get the young guys consistent work.   Take care of the guys who you know are going to be here next year and let the others who probably want to fight for their next contract do so from the spot that might not be as comfortable for them because F them.  They're gone in a few months.  Bundy can follow Sandoval, or Barria or Suarez and force himself to get ready on short notice.  

And next year?

Here's a good one for y'all.  Since our SP is likely gonna be mediocre at best anyway, I'm sinking my entire budget into a kick ass bullpen.  Because you know there's gonna be a budget and you know that adding three to four guys at 1/8m is gonna be full on pull and pray.  So f it.  Lock down innings 6-9.  Bullpen arms aren't predictable you say?  What about 1yr deals for crappy starters?  How has that pool of hog shit treated us the last few years?  Predictability is all relative.  

And most all, someone needs to hire people that are better at their job.  And a lot of them.  Collect smart people.  No team has failed because they have too many smart people.  They fail because one person thinks they're smarter than everyone else.  No matter how much you think you know, others can help.  

That’s the musing of a madman (a respected madman or I wouldn’t have read all that), problem is makes very good sense to me.

I mean, if you ignore the pitching and just add a masher right handed 1b and stick Walsh in RF (he belongs at 1b but is unlikely to fall down out there), that could a scary lineup.  I think we’re going to see better results when we stop cycling through the best 6 or so teams in baseball.

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Bearish on Jackson
Like Rivera and Daniel

And next year?

This was like a "best of" mash-up of @Dochalo and @Angel Oracle. Very entertaining (and most of which I agree with).

2 minutes ago, nate said:

Reverting to his Baltimore Orioles form.

Bad news for him since it is a walk year.

He is getting the shitty defense and lack of offense of his Baltimore years. Hard to pitch when you can't trust the catcher or the fielders behind you. 

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

He is getting the shitty defense and lack of offense of his Baltimore years. Hard to pitch when you can't trust the catcher or the fielders behind you. 

Yeah but at least he is pitching in a neutral park and not the bandbox he pitched in in Baltimore