• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Drew Butera, DFA Kruger

On 5/7/2021 at 11:15 PM, Pancake Bear said:

Is Butera supposed to be good with pitchers? If his work with Canning tonight is any sign, he may be worth keeping around, even if he'll never hit. 

Well to be fair, Canning pitched 5 1/3 scoreless innings vs. the Mariners last Saturday and struck out nine batters. 

I think something just clicked with Griffin, but I'm totally fine with having an automatic out at C if he's going to improve our rotation and bullpen. 

Suzuki has been a HUGE disappointment. I had better hopes from him. 

On 5/9/2021 at 7:50 PM, Pancake Bear said:

Maybe. I noticed that also. All I'm saying is I want Butera starting as much as possible going forward.

@jsnpritchett

curious why you gave this a facepalm.  To me he seems to handle the pitchers pretty well even though he can't hit worth a shit.  But Suzuki is pretty awful at both hitting and behind the plate right now.  I feel like the rapport between Butera and some of the young guys is actually pretty good where he sort of guides them through tough situations.  Like Suarez last night.  Who seemed ready to melt at any moment.  And Sandoval and Canning the other day.  Quintana as well.  Maybe it's small sample, but to me, there has been a noticeable difference in how the pitchers are getting through tough innings with Butera behind the plate vs. that of Suzuki.  

6 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

@jsnpritchett

curious why you gave this a facepalm.  To me he seems to handle the pitchers pretty well even though he can't hit worth a shit.  But Suzuki is pretty awful at both hitting and behind the plate right now.  I feel like the rapport between Butera and some of the young guys is actually pretty good where he sort of guides them through tough situations.  Like Suarez last night.  Who seemed ready to melt at any moment.  And Sandoval and Canning the other day.  Quintana as well.  Maybe it's small sample, but to me, there has been a noticeable difference in how the pitchers are getting through tough innings with Butera behind the plate vs. that of Suzuki.  

It's a small sample.  Butera has been pretty bad over the course of his career. I'm speaking mostly of offense, but I haven't seen much to indicate he's particularly good on defense, either.  Calling a game, calming people, etc is so subjective that I can't really take 3 games or whatever seriously. 

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

It's a small sample.  Butera has been pretty bad over the course of his career. I'm speaking mostly of offense, but I haven't seen much to indicate he's particularly good on defense, either.  Calling a game, calming people, etc is so subjective that I can't really take 3 games or whatever seriously. 

If it's subjective, then when does sample size matter?  I'm not sure either but he's been in the lineup three of the four games he's been around for and it seems to have had an impact when you watch and see what's going on during the game.  My point is, if it's subjective then then why not keep trying it until something different happens?  We know Suzuki hasn't added anything.  If Stassi was back then I'd be singing a different tune but for now, I want Butera in there over Kurt until the results change because subjectively, it's working.   

22 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Only thing is Minasian has ties with Suzuki from ATL

I know Suzuki is going to catch tonight because of Ohtani, but seeing as how well Butera has worked with our staff thus far I'd love to see him catch Ohtani tonight. 

How many times will Suzuki let one pop off his glove or to his left or right or under his legs in tonight's game? How many SB's will he give up? His pitch framing is below average as well. 

14 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

If it's subjective, then when does sample size matter?  I'm not sure either but he's been in the lineup three of the four games he's been around for and it seems to have had an impact when you watch and see what's going on during the game.  My point is, if it's subjective then then why not keep trying it until something different happens?  We know Suzuki hasn't added anything.  If Stassi was back then I'd be singing a different tune but for now, I want Butera in there over Kurt until the results change because subjectively, it's working.   

Ok, that's fine.  I just have a different opinion. No big deal.  

I just hope Stassi can come back asap.

29 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Serious question... What does anyone here really know about pitch framing?

Catchers do it. It's really important. Some catchers don't do it as well as some other catchers. It will be totally redundant when robo-umps arrive. Umm... how am I doing? 

18 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Serious question... What does anyone here really know about pitch framing?

Nothing.  But for what it's worth, from what I gather from doing some searching this morning, Butera is typically right around league average or a little below.

Also, while I generally think catcher's ERA is a b.s. metric, there's not much there that indicates Butera does anything special, either.  For most of his career, his CERA has been higher than the team ERA, with the past couple of years in Colorado being exceptions (though who the hell can tell anything from any sort of pitching-related stats there...).

Again, not a huge deal one way or the other.  I just find it somewhat amusing that a few people on here seem to be latching on to him because of a couple games.  I don't remember people having the same reaction when we got him 6 years ago. 

2 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

Catchers do it. It's really important. Some catchers don't do it as well as some other catchers. It will be totally redundant when robo-umps arrive. Umm... how am I doing? 

Looks like you're tryin' to cock it up, mate.