• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels hire Matt Vasgersian as their new PBP announcer

mmc

The idea with keeping Mota on the broadcast is because he is very well liked within the organization. He is not good at talking, but the players really like him and he is a great person. He will be harmless as a third color guy. He has the fielding/hitter mindset, Gubicza will handle pitching, and MV/DS will do a great job on PBP. I really like Gubicza, but what do I know? 

17 hours ago, rafibomb said:

Hopefully this will just be for this season and we can have him in a more permanent role next year.

I know you were probably too young @rafibomb to have ever heard Sutton call a game, but you're really going to like him. 

Daron Sutton and Mark Grace calling a game. Sutton with his best get off my lawn @Blarg impression. 

Here's Sutton interviewing a very young Justin Upton when with the D-Backs.

17 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Hmm.  Strange that they're splitting so many of the games.  But I'm fine with it.  Always liked Sutton, too.

Sutton was the best on the radio with Ken Brett. 

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I know you were probably too young @rafibomb to have ever heard Sutton call a game, but you're really going to like him. 

Daron Sutton and Mark Grace calling a game. Sutton with his best get off my lawn @Blarg impression. 

Here's Sutton interviewing a very young Justin Upton when with the D-Backs.

Sutton was the best on the radio with Ken Brett. 

Daron and Mario Impemba were also solid as a team.

On 3/11/2021 at 3:38 PM, Chuckster70 said:

THIS IS AMAZING NEWS! This was the guy I wanted to replace Victor Rojas after he resigned all along. 

I mean why wouldn't he? Mike Trout, Ohtani, Rendon, Joe Maddon, So. Cal guy. 

I'm pumped! 

fuck yeah done with finals GIF by hoppip

good news all around - Vasgersian as well as the return of Daron Sutton. I alway felt Sutton left us (back then for Milwaukee) in a strange career move. Sure he moved up to TV. PBP duties in Milwaukee at the time but he was here in the Los Angeles media market perhaps the number one or two media market in the nation -- Milwaukee is certainly not that. Impemba left at the same time - but I always understood that - Impemba was going home to MICHIGAN - Ernie Harwell was his idol and I think Impemba may have even gotten to spend some time with Harwell in the booth with Detroit -- also. Impemba - even while with the Halos -- went back home to do pbp for Michigan football and basketball and other Big Ten games.   I really liked Victor Rojas - did not want to see him leave -- but as Chuck posts - this news now is very good news for the Halos and Halos fans.  I just hope Vasgersian (and Daron Sutton) is here to stay now for the long term.  Oh yeah, and for all the TERRY SMITH haters (of his pbp call). - I still think he's OK - not great. but an acquired taste, familiar voice after all these years with the Halos.

just read the Impemba's bio again. I had forgotten he got fired at Detroit in 2018 for getting into a post game physical altercation with his pbp broadcast partner of some 17 years - a guy named Allen.  Doesn't seem he's worked in baseball since.

Perhaps back doing Big Ten games.

I agree with earlier posts - for folks who weren't around and remember Daron Sutton during his first stint with the ANGELS - I think you're going to like him. 

What happened to Sutton's gig with ARIZONA?  I thought that was a step up from Milwaukee - not to bag on Milwaukee - they have some of the most loyal MLB fans in either league -- but from a broadcasting standpoint it's not a major market like Los Angeles, like Phoenix.

Vasgersian is a seasoned, versatile  pro. Nice to have a national figure come in with a fresh perspective. And not just have to play along with partners and panels fixated on the Yankees and Dodgers.

My best option for  TV baseball this season is MLB Extra Innings. Decent price with my provider. Not sure what games will be available, but I assume I,'ok be able to see/pvr all Angel games.