• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels hire Matt Vasgersian as their new PBP announcer

mmc

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

Also interesting that he said he'd been announcing "almost every night"...Doesn't seem to be the case.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. I'm wondering if he'll do some games on the radio side or maybe he and Terry Smith will split radio duties like Rory and Terry did, with Langston joining Sutton and Smith for a 3-man booth.

Or, perhaps he'll just do some hosting on the pre and post game shows.

Official Presser from FSW & the Angels

FOX SPORTS WEST AND LOS ANGELES ANGELS ANNOUNCE MATT VASGERSIAN AS NEW TELEVISION PLAY-BY-PLAY ANNOUNCER

Daron Sutton to Join as Secondary Play-By-Play Announcer; Jose Mota Elevated to Second Analyst for all Broadcasts on FOX Sports West

LOS ANGELES – FOX Sports West, in partnership with the Los Angeles Angels, today announced Matt Vasgersian as the Club’s new play-by-play announcer for Angels telecasts on FOX Sports West (soon to be rebranded Bally Sports West). Select broadcasts throughout the 2021 campaign will also feature Daron Sutton as the lead play-by-play announcer. Vasgersian and Sutton will both call the action alongside veteran Angels analyst Mark Gubizca who enters his 15th season as color commentator with FOX Sports West.

Also new this season, long-time Angels Live pre- and post-game lead analyst, Jose Mota will join Gubicza and Vasgersian or Sutton in the new second analyst role, providing added analysis and commentary on a nightly basis.

Similar to Gubicza and Mota, Vasgersian and Sutton will each make regular contributions to Angels Live pre- and post-game shows throughout the year.

In celebration of the Angels 60th anniversary season, FOX Sports West will deliver specialty themed 60th Anniversary telecasts that welcome in former Angels players to the telecast. More information on the schedule and guests analysts will be revealed throughout the season.

Along with his role with the Angels, Vasgersian will continue his duties with MLB Network as a studio host and with ESPN serving as the play-by-play voice of Sunday Night Baseball.

Vasgersian joins the Angels with a resume including 30 years of broadcasting experience both at the local and national level. In addition to his duties with ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball, he has also served as the national voice for FOX Sports’ “Game of the Week” from 2014-17 and contributed to NBC’s coverage of multiple Summer and Winter Olympics. Vasgersian also hosts MLB Network studio programming for shows such as Hot Stove and MLB Tonight and has worked for the Network since its inception in 2009.

A California native and University of Southern California graduate, Vasgersian served as the voice of the San Diego Padres from 2002-08 after holding the same role with the Milwaukee Brewers for five years (1997-01). In addition to his play-by-play career, the multi-faceted Vasgersian is widely known as the voice of MLB: The Show since the game debuted prior to the 2006 season. 

Sutton returns to the Angels after formerly serving as the Club’s radio play-by-play commentator for the 2000 and 2001 seasons. The son of the late Hall of Famer and former Angels pitcher, Don Sutton, Daron boasts over 25 years of broadcasting experience spanning multiple sports. His Major League Baseball resume includes play-by-play duties with the Brewers, Angels and most recently the Diamondbacks as well as a pre- and post-game host with the Braves. Sutton is also the founder, Vice President and Executive Producer - Content for PerfectGame.TV, which broadcasts live games as well as weekly shows dedicated to amateur and collegiate baseball and softball.

FOX Sports West will announce its complete 2021 schedule and coverage details in coming days.

7 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

In celebration of the Angels 60th anniversary season, FOX Sports West will deliver specialty themed 60th Anniversary telecasts that welcome in former Angels players to the telecast. More information on the schedule and guests analysts will be revealed throughout the season.

Interesting nugget within the press release.

Just now, jsnpritchett said:

Hmm.  Strange that they're splitting so many of the games.  But I'm fine with it.  Always liked Sutton, too.

I mean he was hired pretty close to the start of the season. Maybe he had already committed to a lot of games for ESPN and MLB Network thinking that he wasn't going to be a team's regular PBP announcer.

Just now, Trendon said:

I mean he was hired pretty close to the start of the season. Maybe he had already committed to a lot of games for ESPN and MLB Network thinking that he wasn't going to be a team's regular PBP announcer.

That's my thought as well.  He likely has a national contract and a commitment to broadcast an X amount of games already, so he can't renege on that deal.

27 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I didn't realize until now that he actually pitched in the Angels minor league system.  Totally missed that.  One season in 1992 at Boise.  He had a robust 10.97 ERA and a 2.438 WHIP in 10 2/3 innings.  I think the move to announcing was a good career choice!  🙂

Also interesting that he said he'd been announcing "almost every night"...Doesn't seem to be the case.

I got a hit off of him in High School