• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What was your first job?

Tank

9 minutes ago, Crampknees said:

Did your parents make you finish all your vegetables

download (45).jpg

When I was young you only had 3 meals per day.

No snacking.

And yes we ate all the food on the plate, except peas, which we got an ok from my mom.

20 hours ago, Tank said:

haven't several of you worked for directv/dish/time warner? seems like there have been a few of those stories her over the years.

@Adam?

Funny you remember this as I forgot about it. There were a few of us that shared war stories from the position. That was a funny one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2021 at 11:08 PM, Tank said:

haven't several of you worked for directv/dish/time warner? seems like there have been a few of those stories her over the years.

@Adam?

In college I sold Dish Network. I worked in a call center. We used those prerecroded answering machine/voicemail messages about a great promotion. Easiest job ever. Everyone hates their cable. Just had to have a southwestern line of sight on your home and pass a credit check to qualify, which eliminated 12-13% of the population.

7 minutes ago, Adam said:

In college I sold Dish Network. I worked in a call center. We used those prerecroded answering machine/voicemail messages about a great promotion. Easiest job ever. Everyone hates their cable. Just had to have a southwestern line of sight on your home and pass a credit check to qualify, which eliminated 12-13% of the population.

Sold Dish back in the day as well. When you entered in an apartment number it would give a warning about line of site and we always suspected the credit check was harder on people that live in apartments. So we figured out that if you put in the same address with no spaces it didn't trigger the warning. I would say roughly 1/3 that failed the credit check went through after we changed the address. 

30 minutes ago, st1ckboy said:

Sold Dish back in the day as well. When you entered in an apartment number it would give a warning about line of site and we always suspected the credit check was harder on people that live in apartments. So we figured out that if you put in the same address with no spaces it didn't trigger the warning. I would say roughly 1/3 that failed the credit check went through after we changed the address. 

nice. 

35 minutes ago, st1ckboy said:

Whenever it was an Indian dude on the phone I'd transfer it to a new person. @Brandon sold some satellites too I think. the world of phone sales is crazy. chicks with 4 kids from 3 dads and middle aged men with coke problems.

9 hours ago, Adam said:

Whenever it was an Indian dude on the phone I'd transfer it to a new person. @Brandon sold some satellites too I think. the world of phone sales is crazy. chicks with 4 kids from 3 dads and middle aged men with coke problems.

Yeah, but it was short lived.

The job sucked and our paychecks bounced one pay period so I bounced, too. I just remember sending in so much questionable shit...mostly non-southwest facing places or apartments that weren't sure if they were allowed to attach a dish to their patio.

All I really remember is the banging Mexican chick in customer service that I dropped the ball, the older dude that retired because he hit it big with a penny stock, the sales manager that looked like he literally walked off the set of Boiler Room that drove a 15 year old BMW and got fired because no one produced, and the dude that sat next to me I found out was dating a distant cousin I hadn't seen since I was a kid.

Outside of that I don't remember much. I think we did the answering machine message, too, and were also in the PennySaver. My most memorable phone calls were black dudes that wanted Sunday Ticket but had shit credit and would try different ways to get our free satellite setup. I don't even remember what the catch was, I think they had to have service for at least a certain amount of time.

First job (I think?) was as a carney at the County fair. My friend got me the job, and the "bossman" put me at the Wacky Wire booth.

waky-wire_12ab800d2f90e712763761c612d662

I had to quickly learn how to master that game so I can show people that it can be done. Just about everyone lost that game. Probably a 99% failure rate. People would be so pissed, saying it's rigged, then I would take the wand and wiggle it all the way to the bottom. My last day there, I was paid $360 cash. All in dollar bills, lol. 

7 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

The first check that I ever got was from shuttling cars for Hertz from one-way rentals. Great job for a high school kid, getting to drive new cars. My first full-time job was as a hospital orderly.

Back in the day kids were at the DMV on their 16th birthday to get their DL.

From what I've seen kids wait longer now.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Back in the day kids were at the DMV on their 16th birthday to get their DL.

From what I've seen kids wait longer now.

My buddy and I were talking about this recently.  His niece who is now a senior in high school still doesn't have her license and is in no rush to get it.  A family friend of mine her son who was headed to college didn't have his license yet.  I can't think of anyone I knew in high school who wasn't taking their driving test within a few months of turning 16. 

43 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

My buddy and I were talking about this recently.  His niece who is now a senior in high school still doesn't have her license and is in no rush to get it.  A family friend of mine her son who was headed to college didn't have his license yet.  I can't think of anyone I knew in high school who wasn't taking their driving test within a few months of turning 16. 

They're just used to having mom drive them around.

We had to find our own transpo and by the age of 16 we were tired of riding the bus and our bicycles.

I didn't have a car but I bought a used motorcycle to get around on. Sometimes my parents let me borrow their car.

39 minutes ago, Jay said:

They're just used to having mom drive them around.

We had to find our own transpo and by the age of 16 we were tired of riding the bus and our bicycles.

I didn't have a car but I bought a used motorcycle to get around on. Sometimes my parents let me borrow their car.

That and I don't doubt what MT said while I think some of it is because so much of kids interaction even before COVID was online more than in person.  The summer before I was old enough to drive I lived at the beach and sometimes we were lucky enough to get dropped off in the morning when a parent went that direction to work otherwise it was the bus or walking.  In my group of friends in high school everyone wanted some money in their pocket so everyone had jobs and that was gas money.  Both the kids in my example don't work and in the case of the friends kid she was always complaining that he never left his room.  If you don't need money or a car because of your social life then it's not on your radar.  Just a sign of how things can differ from one generation to the next.

24 minutes ago, Tank said:

i couldn't wait to get my license at 16. my daughter and her friends didn't start working on their permits until they were 17. daughter finally got her license at 18. what a huge relief that was.

It is crazy how kids are in no rush these days. My son and his friends were all almost 17. 

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Lou said:

Congrats! Good luck. 

Remember, on time is late. 

Great advise 

I'll tell people all the time

On time is late, early is on time

15-30 minutes

That way of anything happens you will still be on time