• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What was your first job?

Tank

3 minutes ago, cals said:

Delivery these days must be such a piece of cake.  With google maps and waze and shit.  All I had was my memory, my pre-lasik failing eyes and really shitty copies of pages 807 and 808 of the Thomas Guide.

Pizza guys these days don't understand our struggle. 

19 minutes ago, cals said:

I used to deliver in Anaheim Hills.  There was this little lesbian bitch whose parents would give her a check and she’d wrote it out to the exact amount.  Once they were there and she shouted to them how much to make it out for and they yelled back like $5 more than the bill and she was pissed off.  My last day I told her to go fuck herself.

I found that people that lived in the rich neighborhoods tend to tip less. A couple years after my successful stint at Lamppost I delivered for a different place that had Coto De Caza and Dove Canyon in our territory. Delivering to those areas sucked in their own right but also those fuckers would never give a decent tip. Some not at all. 

20 hours ago, Taylor said:

My first "service" job was at Chick-fil-A. Good place to work.

First place I ever interviewed, had a great first interview, they brought me back for a second, my anxiety took over and I completely botched it.  Blanked on several occasions for long periods of time.  Safe to say I didn't get the job, but man, I really wish I did.  Still the closest I've gotten to actually getting a job.

31 minutes ago, mmc said:

First place I ever interviewed, had a great first interview, they brought me back for a second, my anxiety took over and I completely botched it.  Blanked on several occasions for long periods of time.  Safe to say I didn't get the job, but man, I really wish I did.  Still the closest I've gotten to actually getting a job.

I feel ya, man. I've struggled with social anxiety since my teens. 

42 minutes ago, st1ckboy said:

I found that people that lived in the rich neighborhoods tend to tip less. A couple years after my successful stint at Lamppost I delivered for a different place that had Coto De Caza and Dove Canyon in our territory. Delivering to those areas sucked in their own right but also those fuckers would never give a decent tip. Some not at all. 

My rich Dove Canyon parents tipped the Ballpark Pizza delivery drivers pretty well.

I think.

2 minutes ago, Taylor said:

My rich Dove Canyon parents tipped the Ballpark Pizza delivery drivers pretty well.

I think.

Those damn giant unmarked speed bumps in Dove Canyon. I had my dad's RX-7 one night and accidentally launched his car off of one of those things. 

1 hour ago, st1ckboy said:

I delivered in a town that was pretty much all college students or military. The military dudes were incredibly consistent in their tipping. Seemed like it was always $2 or $3 dollars per delivery, which for that time, was fine. Not great, but fine. Dorm deliveries were always prioritized the lowest by the drivers, because most of those kids were 18 or 19, poor AF, and often didn't even understand that tipping was a thing. Deliveries to frats/sororities were always interesting, because it was pretty rare that we would find the person that actually ordered the pizza. If there was some sort of party or event going on my move was always to just walk in and yell that I had pizza and the first person to give me x dollars got it (I'd usually go $5 over the order amount). That pretty much worked instantly every time. Also got a shitload of free beer and weed as tips doing that job. Eventually just started keeping a cooler in the trunk.

21 minutes ago, st1ckboy said:

Those damn giant unmarked speed bumps in Dove Canyon. I had my dad's RX-7 one night and accidentally launched his car off of one of those things. 

Some latchkey neighborhood kids would put sharp rocks on those speed bumps to mess with people's tires. I, the rule follower that I was, wiped the dust off my feet and went home.

Thomas Guide was funny. I used to go on notary trips with my mom and would man that thing in conjunction with hand written directions to customers homes. You were fucked if you had to go out to a new development. I still remember when I learned that one side of the street was odd and the other side even.

Adam mentioning working and weed got me thinking of the malarkey we did.

It was the mall food court, so we had this black market of trading food. Steak Escape was next to Quiznos and I made friends with the dude that worked there named Brett. Quiznos had a big walk in fridge, so I would hop over there and we would smoke weed in the fridge. My managers were over 21 and we would hangout at their place after work and drink beers and smoke weed.

Spent all my money on my car, skateboarding stuff, and hockey gear.

I think the only job I didn't hook up with any co-worker(s). I had a chance with this chick Jessica, but bitched out. She added me on FB some years back and works for Google and is a lesbian. She ended up deleting me after Trump won and I was laughing at the pussies that were crying on social media.

Good times.

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

It was the mall food court, so we had this black market of trading food. Steak Escape was next to Quiznos and I made friends with the dude that worked there named Brett. Quiznos had a big walk in fridge, so I would hop over there and we would smoke weed in the fridge. My managers were over 21 and we would hangout at their place after work and drink beers and smoke weed.

I think the only job I didn't hook up with any co-worker(s). I had a chance with this chick Jessica, but bitched out. She added me on FB some years back and works for Google and is a lesbian. She ended up deleting me after Trump won and I was laughing at the pussies that were crying on social media.

Good times.

We used to do food trades all the time at the pizza place I worked at. We were in the bar district in town. Sort of like a 3x3 block area with probably 30-something bars and restaurants. On weeknights right after dinner rush we'd usually pick a place to call up and negotiate a food trade for both staffs. Some of the negotiations were freaking hilarious. "Dude, we are not throwing in five orders of cajun shrimp unless you hook it the f up with the pepperoni rolls.", etc...

10 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Good times.

This is the Brandonest post ever.

8 minutes ago, Don said:

We used to do food trades all the time at the pizza place I worked at. We were in the bar district in town. Sort of like a 3x3 block area with probably 30-something bars and restaurants. On weeknights right after dinner rush we'd usually pick a place to call up and negotiate a food trade for both staffs. Some of the negotiations were freaking hilarious. "Dude, we are not throwing in five orders of cajun shrimp unless you hook it the f up with the pepperoni rolls.", etc...

The negotiations were real. I had to do them as a manager.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa.....what do you mean you can only do two pizzas for 8 sandwiches and fries? I have a staff of six with two more coming on for the dinner rush!!"

But that Sbarro's wasn't that bad. The Asians at the Panda Express were worse than Jews. They would haggle to death, not budge, and were the roughest negations in the food court. All the places hated when an employee would mention them to trade with.

2 hours ago, mmc said:

I would hire you right now as a twitter whatever it is you do.

2 hours ago, mmc said:

Still searching for mine as we speak...

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I would hire you right now as a twitter whatever it is you do.

There you go @mmc. You see it's all about networking. Jay now wants to hire you to work the Twitter machine for him. 

6 hours ago, Rico said:

Because in California you have to go through the school district to get a work permit as a teenager. But a lot of places couldn't get a work permit because it's unsuitable for a teen.  Like we working at a liquor store. 

i was thinking it was more that several of us may have been underage when we started. 

2 hours ago, Tank said:

thomas guides . . . man, you look back at them now and wonder how we could ever find anything. but once you learned to use one you were good to go.

i'm thankful for modern technology.

Back in ‘04 I worked as a courier carrying loan docs and whatnot (presumably) all over SoCal. This was in that little bubble where you couldn’t throw a rock anywhere in SoCal without hitting a title company or a loan office. I just had one of those Nextel phones/walkie-talkies where I’d get a pick up address and drop off address. I got Thomas Guides for LA, Orange, Riverside, SB, and SD counties on day one. I got paid by the mile doing that gig, but obviously more runs/smarter runs in a day equaled more miles. Maximizing the money in that role really took careful planning and quick research through those TGs. It was one of those jobs in life that just taught me a ton of functional planning and organizational skills. It also showed me that I was really good with spatial reasoning and maps, which eventually led me to pursue a degree in Geography.

12 hours ago, mmc said:

Part of what was your first job, job interviews can make some funny stories.  Everyone here knows I am an asshole, imagine me when I see the interview going south.  One guy asked me if you could go back in life what would you do different and I said I sure as shit wouldn't be sitting here right now.  

8 hours ago, Tank said:

haven't several of you worked for directv/dish/time warner? seems like there have been a few of those stories her over the years.

@Adam?

Some of us can still read a map and know how to get somewhere after looking at one.

Not just listen to your phone. Even though I do use my phone now sometimes.

And I can remember how to get somewhere after being there once.

That's from working in LA and Orange counties and driving the freeways.

I remember when there were no directions on the freeway sign.

Long Beach Fwy, Pasadena or Long Beach. I knew where they were, but tourists got lost.

I memorized all the freeways in Socal when I was young.

After driving them so often you remember the exits and the names of the cities.

My parents made me read the map and tell them where to go for practice.

32 minutes ago, Redondo said:

Some of us can still read a map and know how to get somewhere after looking at one.

Not just listen to your phone. Even though I do use my phone now sometimes.

And I can remember how to get somewhere after being there once.

That's from working in LA and Orange counties and driving the freeways.

I remember when there were no directions on the freeway sign.

Long Beach Fwy, Pasadena or Long Beach. I knew where they were, but tourists got lost.

I memorized all the freeways in Socal when I was young.

After driving them so often you remember the exits and the names of the cities.

My parents made me read the map and tell them where to go for practice.

Did your parents make you finish all your vegetables

download (45).jpg

Edited by Crampknees