• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Should Trade for David Price

VariousCrap

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

dogs were under for 2020 so their tax is 20% plus a 12.5% surcharge for being more than 20m over (20-40).  They're about 30m over right now so their tax is around 32.5% of that or 9.75m.  

I had it at 7 mill if they do nothing else. I could be wrong but I did have 5 years of HS math.

The Dodgers do not trade prospects to dump salary.  They have a ton of money and they don't "pay" teams to take on bad contracts by trading away their prospects.

The most we would see, IMO, is the Dodgers trade us Price + 7-8mil/yr in exchange for a PTBNL.  So we'd get Price effectively on a 2/16 deal.  That is far more likely than us getting Price + Ruiz in exchange for us absorbing Price's entire contract.

I don't think the Angels will bring in another starting pitcher. If they did, this would force Canning into the bullpen or AAA, neither of which benefits him out the team, despite the fact that he's likely the second best starter on the staff. They certainly wouldn't have traded for Cobb only to assign him to a bullpen role. 

Furthermore, Jaime Barria ended the season strong and was solid in the winter leagues. Whatever adjustments Callaway had him make, they've clearly worked. He's already slotted for a bullpen role despite him being almost certainly needed in the rotation, and having no options in AAA left. 

If the Angels acquired Price or any other starter, they'd either need to include Barria in the trade, of lose Barria. And that's not a smart move given that only Ohtani and Canning will still be under contract after 2021. They're going to need Barria. 

More than anything, I suspect they'll add one more bullpen arm, perhaps Shane Greene, and potentially a 4th outfielder that can cover CF, like Billy Hamilton. 

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

I don't think the Angels will bring in another starting pitcher. If they did, this would force Canning into the bullpen or AAA, neither of which benefits him out the team, despite the fact that he's likely the second best starter on the staff. They certainly wouldn't have traded for Cobb only to assign him to a bullpen role. 

Furthermore, Jaime Barria ended the season strong and was solid in the winter leagues. Whatever adjustments Callaway had him make, they've clearly worked. He's already slotted for a bullpen role despite him being almost certainly needed in the rotation, and having no options in AAA left. 

If the Angels acquired Price or any other starter, they'd either need to include Barria in the trade, of lose Barria. And that's not a smart move given that only Ohtani and Canning will still be under contract after 2021. They're going to need Barria. 

More than anything, I suspect they'll add one more bullpen arm, perhaps Shane Greene, and potentially a 4th outfielder that can cover CF, like Billy Hamilton. 

They have 4 OF, I also feel Rengifo and Barretto will get time in OF this spring. They can become your super sub

13 hours ago, Second Base said:

I could see them adding a 4th OF like you mentioned, although I'd imagine it'd be on a minor league deal.

I sure hope they add at least one more bullpen arm of good quality.

Just now, Trendon said:

I could see them adding a 4th OF like you mentioned, although I'd imagine it'd be on a minor league deal.

I sure hope they add at least one more bullpen arm of good quality.

That's what I envision. But then again, I certainly didn't picture the two SP brought in would be Quintana and Cobb. So who knows.

11 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

They have 4 OF, I also feel Rengifo and Barretto will get time in OF this spring. They can become your super sub

But not a single option plays CF at a competent level. The closest is Fowler who used to be a decent defensive option out there, but is now more for a corner outfielder. 

1 minute ago, Angels 1961 said:

A game once and while with Fowler will be OK. 

And if the unthinkable happens and Trout gets injured....then what? Fowler has experience, but lacks the physicality anymore, unless those off-season workouts that Minasian was talking about have reversed time by two years, which weird as it sounds is possible.

3 minutes ago, Second Base said:

And if the unthinkable happens and Trout gets injured....then what? Fowler has experience, but lacks the physicality anymore, unless those off-season workouts that Minasian was talking about have reversed time by two years, which weird as it sounds is possible.

Then you have Marsh and Adell.

I think the Angels will go with Upton, Trout, Fowler/Ward to start the season, with Fowler getting a few more starts than Ward and occasionally spelling Upton. If and when Upton or Fowler suck, Marsh will be called up. If they're struggling, it will be Schebler. I don't think they need another outfielder.

24 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Peter Bourjos

25 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Then you have Marsh and Adell.

I think the Angels will go with Upton, Trout, Fowler/Ward to start the season, with Fowler getting a few more starts than Ward and occasionally spelling Upton. If and when Upton or Fowler suck, Marsh will be called up. If they're struggling, it will be Schebler. I don't think they need another outfielder.

All good points. You've changed my mind.

1 hour ago, beatlesrule said:
Barrelman
7:17
After the Bauer signing, David Price to the Angels makes a ton of sense. Too much sense to actually happen?

Mark P
7:18
After the Joc Pederson mess last offseason, I kind of doubt the Angels are rushing to make any more trades with the Dodgers.

The Jays would also make sense if the Dodgers were willing to eat about probably half of the remaining 2/32

4 hours ago, beatlesrule said:
Barrelman
7:17
After the Bauer signing, David Price to the Angels makes a ton of sense. Too much sense to actually happen?

Mark P
7:18
After the Joc Pederson mess last offseason, I kind of doubt the Angels are rushing to make any more trades with the Dodgers.

I do think this is a really good point.

If you're Andrew Friedman, you're not gonna want to trade with the Angels after what happened last year. I'd imagine it's exhausting to hammer out the details of a trade while also hammering out the details to a separate three team trade only to find out that one of those teams has cancelled the trade after there was a holdup in the other trade because of medicals. I wouldn't blame Friedman for not wanting to work out another deal with the Angels after that fiasco.